Microsoft buying Yahoo!

I was waiting for some of the really big fish to use the recent stock decline to throw some cash around. A >50% premium over current trading may seem tempting in today's market, but in a slightly longer term perspective; I'd say MS is looking to buy 'cheap'.

I was waiting for some of the really big fish to use the recent stock decline to throw some cash around. A >50% premium over current trading may seem tempting in today's market, but in a slightly longer term perspective; I'd say MS is looking to buy 'cheap'.
Yep. Usually the company doing the buying sees a drop in their stock price, I think this buy is smart and can see MS going up 2-3 dollars today.

There is one other company that is cheap right now: AMD. :)

Has Google ever shown an interest in buying out Yahoo :?:

I seriously doubt that the deal could go down without anti-trust trouble.
Since it's Microsoft, and the online search and advertising segment of them both combined is still much smaller than Google's, it may happen.

Of course, there must be seriously overlapping services, head-count and software, so I'm wary of the sanity or even prospective long-term value of this merger.
Two "decadent" (in MSFT's case, i'm referring only to the online division, since the rest looks pretty solid) giants don't make a rising star...

no matter how bad you may think yahoo is, watch it get worse under ms ownership

No way, if there is one company I consider Microsoft to be largely superior to in service it's certainly Yahoo. Who even uses Yahoo for anything these days? From shitty software (their messenger is simply scary) to shitty search, it's sad... I think Microsoft would be much better simply increasing spending on their own devision and work on taking offer the shrinking space Yahoo occupies, simply kill the company off.

well im sure ms will add even more useless crap to it, when we just want a plain and simple search engine
look at the 2 sites msn has stock quotes, weather and a lot more bloat than yahoo (not that yahoo is a paragon of greatness)

So what exactly is Yahoo's price/Earnings ratio and any other ratio that you can think of? How is yahoo valued in the billions exactly?

because some geek (bad taste in jumpers, bald best friend who jumps about a lot shouting developers-developers) is willling to pay that much ;)

I'm pretty certain that MS, if they wanted to, could recoup a decent chunk of the price by selling off some of Yahoo's vast and diverse business areas that are a bit to the side of the MS core competencies. Their investment in Asian business import/export portals for example.

I had joked with a friend of mine who works for Yahoo that MS will asset strip like crazy.

One snippet from him was that everyone in his team immediately cashed in their share options. :LOL:

Back