Classic nVidia FUD over 3870x2

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I just found this little ditty at the Inquirerer funny as hell:

SO, HOW LOW can Nvidia go? Well, how about official messages from its Vice President of Investor Relations, Michael Hara that sink below the low, low standard the aggressive outfit normally sets.

Luckily, unlike many other episodes, we can't find an outright lie in this set, but then again, the audience is a little more touchy about that sort of thing.

The letter, printed in full below, was sent off by Mr Hara Wednesday at almost 1pm PST according to the timestamps, and it is a doozy. In addition to this, we have seen a 22 page PDF entitled "3870 X2 Launch Analysis", which most people would call a one sided-joke.
Well worth the read, it's a good giggle. :)

Ask not what Nvidia can do for you, ask what you can do for Nvidia!

So I take it that Amd/Ati is doing well on the graphics front and Nvidia is feeling nervous?

Good find man! I don't read it much anymore.

Actually two things, Is there a potential reliability issue for the 8800gt? People will be quite sensitive after the RROD affair.

Are the people at Nvidia having trouble with their next big chip? Its using too much power or not working right? Does that make them nervous about the r700?

heh not really nervous look at where those emails went to , financial analysts, maybe nV is more afraid of them saying something stupid like they usaully do :LOL:

I actually know a couple of those guys, not the smartest of the bunch ;)

I just found this little ditty at the Inquirerer funny as hell:

Well worth the read, it's a good giggle. :)

Another crap article writen by Charlie "I sleep with Ruiz" Dummy. He claims the 670 spanks an Ultra, maybe in price point, but the 670 does anything but spank the Ultra, GTX or the newest cards GT and the 512 GTS. Hell it loses far more than it wins against those cards. He also calls the GX2 from Nvidia inferior design along with a few other things he has absolutly no clue what he rammering about.

Charlie is nothing more than the newest AMD/ATI FUD hack reporter. All he does is talk BS about Nvidia and constant praise for ATI. I dont pay any attention to anything he says.

There's some serious FUD there.
But The Inq itself is not far off in their "analysis" too:
You will notice that the vanilla 3870, a $250 card, spanks the Geforce 8800Ultra, a nearly $700 card, in several areas.

That's just a blatant lie.

The HD3870 can't beat a 8800 GT, so how could it even approach the level of a 8800 Ultra ?
Also, there are 8800 Ultra's at Newegg for a little over 530 dollars, far from the 700 they claim (that was the price at launch, 8 months ago).

How many times do I have to post this?

Computerbase.de RV670 review. Take note of the cumulative performance rating @ 2560x1600 w/8xAA. Notice which card is in first. It's not the 8800 Ultra. Look what happens to the GT. Half as fast as the HD 3870. Yeah, that's a spanking.

The HD3870 can't beat a 8800 GT, so how could it even approach the level of a 8800 Ultra ?
Also, there are 8800 Ultra's at Newegg for a little over 530 dollars, far from the 700 they claim (that was the price at launch, 8 months ago).

It has lower price and uses less power? :) It has a higher clock speed? Thats three!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another crap article writen by Charlie "I sleep with Ruiz" Dummy. He claims the 670 spanks an Ultra, maybe in price point, but the 670 does anything but spank the Ultra, GTX or the newest cards GT and the 512 GTS.

I think he's talking about the specific link to Tom's review where 3870 appears to be outperforming the 8800 Ultra in that title without FSAA. I think thats supposed to be a counter point to cherry picking benchmarks - its just as easy to show one side of a story as it is the complete opposite.

I'm not sure which Newegg listing you're looking at, but the one I'm looking at only has 5 Ultras, with a starting price of $629.

It beats it in price and power? :) It has a higher clock speed? Thats three!

Oh, so that means i can say the same, while comparing a HD2900 XT to a 8800 GT, right ?
Come on... :rolleyes:

BTW, what's clock speed got to do with it ?
They're two different architectures, so how do you start comparing them using that meaningless argument ?
Besides, even at that, you forgot that Geforce 8800 class shader cores start at 1.2 GHz, and go all the way to 1.6GHz+...

Oh, so that means i can say the same, while comparing a HD2900 XT to a 8800 GT, right ?
Come on... :rolleyes:

BTW, what's clock speed got to do with it ?
They're two different architectures, so how do you start comparing them using that meaningless argument ?
Besides, even at that, you forgot that Geforce 8800 class shader cores start at 1.2 GHz, and go all the way to 1.6GHz+...

Sorry, it was a joke! I meant it uses LESS power.

Heh, all the AMD (ATI) AIB's should release revised box art for the 3870X2 with a little nVIDIA logo and award graphic to highlight the card attaining the coveted "NV PowerPoint of Doom Award" 2008 (previous luminaries include the PowerVR Kyro 2 and Radeon 9700Pro) -- it should sit nicely next to all those other completely out of context marketing blurbs. :p

not that i can find, all are OVER 600$. That would be the ultras.... See what NVDA does to ppl it makes them make stuff up...

How many times do I have to post this?

Computerbase.de RV670 review. Take note of the cumulative performance rating @ 2560x1600 w/8xAA. Notice which card is in first. It's not the 8800 Ultra. Look what happens to the GT. Half as fast as the HD 3870. Yeah, that's a spanking.

How about using a site that has actual FPS numbers instead of %s. For all you or anyone else knows, the 3870 could be giving the same frame rate at with 8x as it does with 4x. No way to tell without actual frame rate numbers to go by.

How about using a site that has actual FPS numbers instead of %s. For all you or anyone else knows, the 3870 could be giving the same frame rate at with 8x as it does with 4x. No way to tell without actual frame rate numbers to go by.

All the FPS numbers are given on previous pages. Of course, you'd know that if you didn't instantly discount the source because the numbers don't agree with your bias.

All the FPS numbers are given on previous pages. Of course, you'd know that if you didn't instantly discount the source because the numbers don't agree with your bias.

and if you look at how the performance drops occurs at what resolution without any AA you would see that those charts really mean nothing ;)

and if you look at how the performance drops occurs at what resolution without any AA you would see that those charts really mean nothing ;)

And yet the gap is there. Clearly these are GPU-bound scenarios (high res + high levels of AA). Since we are talking about a new graphics card with potentially >twice the graphics power of the 3870, clearly those results are anything but irrelevant. Throw another X2 on the fire and whaddya know, those settings might just be playable across a wide range of games.

And yet the gap is there. Clearly these are GPU-bound scenarios (high res + high levels of AA). Since we are talking about a new graphics card with potentially >twice the graphics power of the 3870, clearly those results are anything but irrelevant. Throw another X2 on the fire and whaddya know, those settings might just be playable across a wide range of games.

not in all games, only a few, where its very pronounced that too me doesn't sound like AA issues at x8, it sounds more like memory management bugs or something of that nature.

Back