require help finding a suitable mp3 player

hi all,
i wanted to put this in "purchase decisions help" but it's not strictly pc related (although a pc can be involved) so i didn't

anyway, i'm looking for an alternative to my current mp3 players but, at a glance, can't seem to find what i require. so am asking for input here as you're a generally tech savvy bunch

i require:-
aaa battery power: an mp3 player is portable and i listen a lot. i can't dock when i'm out and about. i don't care how many hours i so say get - i can get hold of a triple a a lot easier
sd card slot (although not limited to 1gb max cards) or >=8gb onboard flash memory: i do not want moving parts a-la hdd
to be recognised by pc as external drive: no required software, as needed by apple and sony products etc.

things that are nice to have:-
radio (with record funtionality too) and voice recorder

things i don't care about:-
fancy screens for pics and movies and other non-audio related functionality. i want a portable music player because i live music, not a keeping-up-with-the-joneses gadget for gadget's sake! :(

i currently have a 1gb alba with all of the above except the radio. it's fine, but the headphone socket has worn a bit loose, there has always been slight electronic interference on it and it gets a bit finicky with some id tags and bit rates and there is no newer firmware available. i use 2gb cards in it although it was not reported to accept them; possibly because they weren't common at the time of purchase
i also managed to get a siren edge player sent from the u.s. which does have all of the above functionality, including the radio, but 4gb is not enough and there is no card expansion slot. unlike the alba player, it doesn't use a folder/file tree structure and can't list songs without id tags. also, if the id tags have variance in use of uppercase/lowercase artist naming then bands will be listed more than once when browsing via artist

when looking last night, the only thing i could find was the iriver t60. the reported good sound quality and additional supported formats nearly drew me in but this player still has only 4gb with no expansion. i also saw that folks were complaining that usb doesn't power the player when connected, so they were having problems transferring files with a partially used battery installed. both of my players get powered by the usb port when they are connected to the pc so that's a no-no and i may as well stick with my siren for now

tia for any help and input
cheers,
d3v

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should get one of these :D

mplayer_c.jpg

@malo: stop being silly ;)

@stefan: aye, perfect aside from the capacity. nice to see somebody in that thread with similar thoughts to mine re: music players vs multimedia players

surely there has to be something aaa powered out there of half decent quality that supports large capacity sd card expansion or a fixed onboard flash memory of 8gb or more

poo!
i thought i had something there. the sandisk sansa e280 (8gb) looked like the answer (even though it has the unavoidable fancy screen) but it takes a liion battery, although it is replaceable

I like my Sansa. Good price for features. The while can be a little stiff, but works. Easy to use. I mainly use it for audiobooks and voice recording.

Do you also want good sound quality or is only about batteries etc.? Because I know of no cheap AAA-powered player which sounds any better than "just acceptable". I'd never part with my Zen just because of the great sound quality. And those come with two batteries as well so that should cover at least one whole day of listening. And it also has radio and recording and no fancy gimmicks.

AAA and AA batteries cannot source enough current to power modern high density external media cards reliably.

Sorry, but that's the way things are.

If you're concerned about battery life, get one that recharges via a standard USB connection, and then get a cheap one as a backup for when you run out of juice.

@_xxx_: my siren sounds fine. it depends very much on the bit rate and headphones. my sennheisers sound nice with correctly fitting buds, better than my sony headphones, which are too bass heavy. really expensive headphones are pointless unless running a machine at the equiv of 16bit stereo @ 48/96khz and going for the psychoacoustics. to answer your question: i just don't want to carry crap around with me and have to necessarily be anywhere near a socket and, if the batteries are not interchangeable, lose my listening time to charging time. i just don't want to be remembering to plug the thing in all the time when i just want to leave it lying around near me, in my bag, or on my person. music is my lifeline

@russ: no, not concerned about battery life (unless outrageously bad); see above. thx for the info anyway. any half decent quality 2-4gb interchangeable card one that is better than my old one would be fine

@mariner: aye, i mentioned that one in my first post. as i said, the quality and format support are desirable but the issue of usb not powering it when you are transferring files sounds like mistaken oversight to me. my siren is the same 4gb non-interchangeable and the quality is ok, but at least that is powered when transferring

looks like i'm running out of options :(
truly, any reasonable quality player requiring aaa power and having support for at least 2gb sd cards would have been fine. i just wish my old one was less noisy, more sturdy and more stable when using some bit rates/id tags

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you could find one you like that has a built in battery and just buy one of the battery back up units, such as the iturbo (I know you don't want an ipod, but thats the only name for a battery charging unit I could think of atm).

Back