When are the next gen cards coming out?

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Im looking at purchasing a new video card. I have the advantage that I dont need it until may. So anyone know what should be out by then? Looking for top of the line since i havent upgraded this video card in years.

I dont see anything exciting coming until Q3-4.

ATi launched the HD3870X2 and nVIDIA will launch the GF9800GX2 and GF9800GTX. The former is G92X2(SLI on a stick and direct competitor to HD3870X2) while the latter is a G92 core with higher clocks(we dont really know a lot about this one).

If the 9800GTX retains the 256-Bit bus then i doubt the performance increase we can expect over the 8800 Ultra.

Personally i would wait for something a bit more groundbreaking, something that can give me the performance of 2 8800 GTXs without the hassle that is SLI or Crossfire.

Anyway if you dont game in high resolutions then you should consider getting the 8800GT 512MB or the HD3850 256/512MB

ATi launched the HD3870X2 an

If the 9800GTX retains the 256-Bit bus then i doubt the performance increase we can expect over the 8800 Ultra.
how much of a difference does nvidia's compression make to that ?

"There are physical transistors inside the GPU( G92), plus some new algorithms, that allows better data compression across the memory bus, making the process more efficient. This is important because of the narrow 256-bit memory bus, and since it is inherent to the GPU that means a lower spec GPU may use this technology as well providing a performance advantage."

I don't really know, by reading various reviews though it seems clear that in most cases the GTX/Ultra retains an overall advantage at higher resolutions and levels of Anti Aliasing. Isn't that a sign of being bandwidth limited? The GT and GTS are in some respect better than the older G80 cores and yet still fail to outperform it.

I hope i am proven wrong, the graphics card market was a very boring one after the 8800 GTX got released, ATi troubles didnt help at all with them just becoming competitve a few months ago, and thats not on the high end still but rather on the mainstream markets.

ATi launched the HD3870X2 and nVIDIA will launch the GF9800GX2 and GF9800GTX. The former is G92X2(SLI on a stick and direct competitor to HD3870X2) while the latter is a G92 core with higher clocks(we dont really know a lot about this one).

Personally i would wait for something a bit more groundbreaking, something that can give me the performance of 2 8800 GTXs without the hassle that is SLI or Crossfire.

Anyway if you dont game in high resolutions then you should consider getting the 8800GT 512MB or the HD3850 256/512MB
Thanks for the info. Im a bit taken aback that nothing groundbreaking will be launched by then. Ack, I really wanted to splurge but didnt want last years best.

Do you play at high resolutions? If you game at anything less than 1900x1200 then the 8800GT 512 is an excellent card and is well priced. From what will you be upgrading? Do you have specific games that you want to play?

I was in a similar situation about a month ago, i chose to buy now the HD3850 512 and play the games now and wait until a card that will give me over 2x the performance of the old GTX at all times.

Do you play at high resolutions? If you game at anything less than 1900x1200 then the 8800GT 512 is an excellent card and is well priced. From what will you be upgrading? Do you have specific games that you want to play?

I was in a similar situation about a month ago, i chose to buy now the HD3850 512 and play the games now and wait until a card that will give me over 2x the performance of the old GTX at all times.
Im looking at getting Age of Conan. Not sure if your familiar with this MMORPG, they mentioned that some ares were averaging 20-30fps with good cards at reasonably high res. I want to be able to play it with every eye candy on and with extremely high res. Also planning on buying new monitors to go along with a new graphics card. Anyways, the game is only slated to be release towards the end of May, so I was hoping that either NV or ATI had plans on releasing next gen cards. Unfortunately, it seems from your post that it wont be out by then.

I am not familiar with it no... Anyway my suggestion remains the same! Either wait, or buy a meanstream card to get you through until a card with the performance you want is released.

Traditionally though i thought that MMORPGs were not that demanding, maybe its because of the Beta status?

Get a 3850 with 512Mb and overclock it a few... probably the best buy today... is DX10.1, is fast, cold/silent and its price is wonderful.

Back