Problem switching from DVI to VGA

sir doris

Regular
Hi,

I've got a 7950GX2 and a Dell 2407WFP, currently connected via DVI, and the PC is running winXP Pro.

I want to change this connection to VGA (via DVI dongle, as the GX2 has 2x DVI ports) to free up the DVI port on the 2407. This also means I can get more widescreen resolutions working with the 2407, for gaming.

However when I swap over the cables the PC gets to the Windows login fine, but once I login I get about halfway through the Windows chime and a quick flash of the desktop and the thing crashes.

Turn it off swap the DVI connection back in and everything is fine.

Have both connections connected and the nVidia wizzard pops up and cloned screens are go, with 1920x1200 working fine on both inputs. But then I turn off the PC, take out the DVI and reboot and it crashes again as soon as it logs into Windows :(

Anyone got any ideas?

Just to add Safe Mode works fine with VGA, so I guess it's the nVidia Driver or some other driver which is not liking the VGA connection?

Maybe try a clean install of the drivers from safe mode with VGA hooked up.

On my other computer with an ATI card I had a situation where I switched to VGA and it looked like crap. A clean install fixed that.

Maybe somehow the video card is only sending the digital signal through the DVI port (DVI-D) for the resolution you are using? The VGA needs an analog signal.

Right, thanks for your ideas. In the end I justdid what Bable said, conencted it by VGA, uninstalled the Forceware drivers in Safe Mode and then re-installed them.

Job done :)

I still have no idea why this happened though...

Back