Seems like PS2 BC will be gone forever soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely once the kid gets a PS3, he doesn't play any more PS2 games? That's the major point here - who actually uses BC? At this point in the cycle has it any place to play in all any but the most niche of users? I'm playing Rogue Galaxy and then AFAICS that's it for my PS2 despite not having a PS3 nor expecting to get one any time soon. There's nothing coming out for it that interests me. How much less appeal does PS2 have when you do have a PS3? What does it offer that PS3 can't? I guess if you still have FFXII to play or something, it might see use.

I still have several uncompleted PS2 games and a lot of guitar hero / singstar type of stuff that is very demanded on house party type of situations. BC is an issue of having one ugly box and several cables less to clutter my living room with.

Given the choice, I'd gladly pay like 50€ extra to have BC just to be able to fit all my electronics under my TV (which should easily cover EE and other BC chips).

It's not 100% essential, but it would be nice to have as an option again at some point. Just yesterday for instance I played Buzz School Quiz, using remote play on the PS3. Until Buzz comes out on PS3 (Singstar is already out here) then this for me would be the main reason to want to use BC, though being able to slip an old PS2 title in once in a while is a nice feature (I wouldn't use it a lot, but I'd like to be able to take a peek into the past once in a while).

Mind you I don't think it's essential and I can certainly see how Sony would prioritise other things - reaching the 299 pricepoint and getting the Home and Online SDK up-to-date is probably more important to them for now.

since i bought my PS3 (in January last year) i've played GoW2 (bought it soon after i bought my PS3), and i played GT3 and DMC3 again for a bit. other than that, i haven't touched any of my PS2 games (and i have close to 30). i sold my PS2 to help fund my PS3, but i would have been perfectly happy with a PS2 and 40GB PS3.

with that said, i think Sony should have kept two SKU's; one with BC and one without.

A new model with "120-160 GB + dual shock 3" is not surprising. We knew a model with 120 + GB was coming (at leat in Europe) since David Reeves comment last summer. DualShock in the Premium model makes sense as well.

But what is the bullshit about "80GB/Spiderman 3 bundle"? Did they mixup the 40GB/Spiderman bundle and the 80 GB/Motorstorm bundle. I stopped reading Ars site because of that kind of errors, they really spoil their trustworthiness.

Ars´s prediction would have been much more interesting if it said anything about BC, but it did not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have 3 ps2 controllers. I mean really now, did they have to take the old ports off the front of the console? it could not have been a lack of space or the sixaxis of evil. You can hardly call that an innovation - its the same dam controller. Its just like when they added that pressure sensitive button crap - is that still in there? :(

I still have 3 ps2 controllers. I mean really now, did they have to take the old ports off the front of the console? it could not have been a lack of space or the sixaxis of evil. You can hardly call that an innovation - its the same dam controller. Its just like when they added that pressure sensitive button crap - is that still in there? :(

I prefer having the connections by usb. It means you have four standard multi-use ports. I take your point though. But if motion sensing was meant to be a "standard" and compulsory feature (I'm sure Sony would've preferred a greater uptake) the old DS2 was kind of defunct in any case.

It's not actually THAT much the same. Even disregarding the sixaxis, wirelessness, trigger buttons at the back, 10bit precision in the Analog sticks rather than the old 8 bit, there's also the kind of essential 'Home' button ...

You can use the old DS2 for backwards compatible games with an adapter, which is good enough for me (certainly as I never plan to use that. ;) ).

Yes but by years end there will be gta gt5 mgs4 dmc4 army of two ffxiii maybe killzone 2 maybe Resistance 2. Who would play a ps2 game over those? Just the japanese cause they get games we never see, besides just buy one with bc.

Yes but by years end there will be gta gt5 mgs4 dmc4 army of two ffxiii maybe killzone 2 maybe Resistance 2. Who would play a ps2 game over those? Just the japanese cause they get games we never see, besides just buy one with bc.

*Bangs head against wall.*

Plenty of people go back and play older games, even with newer ones out. Maybe they're a little short on cash. Maybe they don't like all of those games. Maybe they just want to replay good games they already own.

How do people not get this?!

Edit: besides, what happens after the game you listed have been finished and you're in the mood for a PS2 game with no PS2?

I think the issue here is about whether there are even plans or rumors to remove PS2 BC COMPLETELY (as in all succeding SKUs would have ZERO PS2 support).

That's the issue that we are at odds against and hope that such a scenario would never happen.

Personally though, as much as I like to believe that Sony won't be stupid to remove PS2 BC completely, I fear that anything can be made possible in this world (including Sony) and this leads me to believeing that they can "pull the plug" on Playstation 2 BC anytime they want.

Of course, there may be a sign of relief as tech observers (such as Isuppli) discovered that the PS3 now costs at around 400 American dollars to manufacture (not sure which SKU/HW Version).

So most likely, they would now make a profit for every PS3 unit sold within the year 2008 which would then result to lower losses........and because of this, they may not need to wipe out PS2 BC completely anymore just to cut costs (at least on models above the BC-less 40 GB unit).

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10316

Yet if they do remove it on everything, then................how can I sell my PS2 unit???

:cry:

*Bangs head against wall.*

Plenty of people go back and play older games, even with newer ones out. Maybe they're a little short on cash. Maybe they don't like all of those games. Maybe they just want to replay good games they already own.

How do people not get this?!

Edit: besides, what happens after the game you listed have been finished and you're in the mood for a PS2 game with no PS2?

Well thats why i bought one with bc. Just keep your ps2. We're all strapped for cash. LOL at you banging your head. Obviously it seems bad but I think they know what they are doing. BTW does anyone what it costs to make ps2?

Of course, there may be a sign of relief as tech observers (such as Isuppli) discovered that the PS3 now costs at around 400 American dollars to manufacture (not sure which SKU/HW Version)

Nobody discovered anything, either before or now. iSuppli prior gave some insanely stupid cost associations, and now we have a random securities analyst comment that he thinks costs are around $400. Arbitrarily.

Listen, Sony's quarterly results are tomorrow; we'll derive cost-of-hardware improvements from there. But forget about people proclaiming they know what things cost to the dollar... down that road lies madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back