Seems like PS2 BC will be gone forever soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceberg187

Regular
newscloseout800.jpg

*&8%4#@!!!!!! :mad: This lessening of the importance of bc by MS and Sony is very disappointing. One of the only reasons I still buy games in my financial situation is because I want a physical copy I can then play for many years to come in future descendants of the console without a clutter of old consoles. Now I'm thinking a couple generations down the road if my old consoles aren't working anymore(I'm looking at you x360) I'm going to be playing the games on a buggy emulator on the PC...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure those who expected it to be there because they thought SCE said so would be disappointed.

I personally don't need one, I would buy a PS3 for PS3 games.

What is happening to console gaming! I remember when bc was a big thing people cared about. That way we can still play all the great classic games. Now they're telling us a bc feature in our consoles isn't something we should care about and now gamers are saying that's okay! :cry:

What is happening to console gaming! I remember when bc was a big thing people cared about.

You mean when fans of a certain HW company used it as a cudgel to beat MS over the head because the BC in the 360 was so badly done ? Well, now BC is old news, and probably "old gen" tech, just like rumble in controllers. Wait, someone tells me that rumble in controllers is actually next-gen now, and a great feature to have. Hard to keep up with the talking points of the day...

BC was a big thing before the x360 when it appeared on the PS2. Then there was the Bleemcast everyone was excited for. It's only when both MS and Sony began saying that bc isn't an important feature after all that I've read gamers on forums actually agree with them which has crushed my heart.

Is that possible with the 4MB eDRAM on the GPU without the emulation being crap?

I'm sure the PS3 is more than capable of doing it, but since no one has done it on the PS3 yet then we don't know exactly how it'll run, though I'm pretty confident that Sony can eventually pull it off, they did so with PS1 games, mad a software emulator that not only works on PS3 but PSP as well.

The PS1 was a much simpler system though. Even free emulators have pretty much not had much problem emulating the PS1(I'm a big fan of the purist pSX emulator).

As to the topic... didn't we already know this? But that said, I am in the camp that believes software emulation is still being worked on behind the scenes.

As to B/C itself, truly it hasn't been with us that long... certainly not a fixture of the space, that's for sure. PS2, 360 and PS3 to an extent, and Wii have been the only B/C consoles in modern times.

As to the topic... didn't we already know this? But that said, I am in the camp that believes software emulation is still being worked on behind the scenes.

As to B/C itself, truly it hasn't been with us that long... certainly not a fixture of the space, that's for sure. PS2, 360 and PS3 to an extent, and Wii have been the only B/C consoles in modern times.

I would add DS (can play GBA games, but not GB/GBC) and PSP (can play PS1 games) to the mix.

Does that lessen the feature's value? And BC has been with us for 7 years I would say that's long enough.

I would add DS (can play GBA games, but not GB/GBC) and PSP (can play PS1 games) to the mix.

Yeah, but I don't think it's unusual to remove the handhelds from the equation for this topic. You are correct though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that lessen the feature's value? And BC has been with us for 7 years I would say that's long enough.

Well, 7 years on a singular console; 2 years or under in the modern era. I recall PS2's B/C being viewed as the exception, not the rule.

Anyway as to its value... I'm a big fan of B/C - I own a 20GB PS3 and I truly appreciate the full hardware provisioning within that system. But that said, *value* is the key word exactly, and if including it causes Sony to be forced to charge more for a system they desperately need to lower the price on, then it's a value tradeoff indeed. Whether I like the PS3 lacking B/C or not is irrelevent; I could always afford to pay for it to begin with, and so I did. But at the same time I can full recognize the reasons why Sony is now moving away from it - the priorities for PS3 lie elsewhere, and PS2 sales seem to be doing well enough on their own to cover the gaps.

To put it another way, a lot of folk might like a $400 PS3 with full B/C, but if the B/C inclusion itself is what would prevent them from offering it at that price in the first place, you see the nature of their Faustian decision dilemma.

But to footnote it once again, I do believe that software B/C is in the works, and they simply decided to move more quickly on the hardware excise in order to control costs, gap in feature-set though there might be.

I dont understand why people care about bc so much. Most people wont bother with the old games once they get a new console, they want to play new shinyness, not the old games. Besides, if they really want to they have the old console so they can still play the games. I really think the most people rather have a cheaper machine without bc than one with bc.

I mean, how much people do you hear complain about the lack of bc on the x360? and how much people do you hear saying 100% GC BC in Wii is soooo great?

I dont understand why people care about bc so much. Most people wont bother with the old games once they get a new console, they want to play new shinyness, not the old games. Besides, if they really want to they have the old console so they can still play the games. I really think the most people rather have a cheaper machine without bc than one with bc.

I mean, how much people do you hear complain about the lack of bc on the x360? and how much people do you hear saying 100% GC BC in Wii is soooo great?
Well it seems the face of what a hardcore gamer is is changing. It used to be great games were always great games deserving of replay no matter how old. BC made doing this much more convenient so you don't have to clutter up your TV with old consoles. Now it seems people don't care to replay old games unless those old games appear on Xbox Live Arcade or Virtual Console.

BC didn't feature on NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive, or any other machines - at least not out the box nor at launch. If you bought NES games and then bought a SNES, that NES library was useless to you without a NES system. You had no way of playing NES or SNES games on GC, so that library was useless to you. Furthermore even the PC has pretty lousy BC. I can't play many games from 10 years ago on my PC without major hassles and software workarounds.

I like BC, especially the new-improved sort that PS2 featured, but it's very much the exception. If your gaming experience has only ever been PS to PS2 and PS3, you've been blessed with BC. If your experience is wider, you'll know you can't expect technology to move on and still support your old library. Indeed, Wii's BC was only possible by not moving the technology on. If Nintendo had gone with a contemporary technology solution, direct GC support wouldn't be there either.

BC didn't feature on NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive, or any other machines - at least not out the box nor at launch. If you bought NES games and then bought a SNES, that NES library was useless to you without a NES system. You had no way of playing NES or SNES games on GC, so that library was useless to you. Furthermore even the PC has pretty lousy BC. I can't play many games from 10 years ago on my PC without major hassles and software workarounds.

I like BC, especially the new-improved sort that PS2 featured, but it's very much the exception. If your gaming experience has only ever been PS to PS2 and PS3, you've been blessed with BC. If your experience is wider, you'll know you can't expect technology to move on and still support your old library. Indeed, Wii's BC was only possible by not moving the technology on. If Nintendo had gone with a contemporary technology solution, direct GC support wouldn't be there either.
I know what the situation was in the prehistoric era, I have been gaming since the NES. But this is the modern era. We were given bc to be able to play all our old games on the newer successor console. It is a very awesome feature for hardcore gamers that want to replay games or never had the previous console to begin with and want to play some of the previous gen games(like I did on the x360 with xbox games). When you take into account bc a console now had a vast library of games to play. You could revisit all those great classics without bringing out your old consoles from the closet.

I disagree with bc being the exception, when the x360 then ps3 then wii came out with bc it was looking like bc would be a standard feature on consoles from now on and now they want to take it away from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back