White Playstation 3 coming to the US

January is not a good time to announce a price point. March makes the best acception since software and hardware do pick up a bit.

I think it would make people rather mad if they dropped the price this soon after the holidays.

I think it would make people rather mad if they dropped the price this soon after the holidays.

People were mad when the 40 gig PS3 couldn't play PS2 games. But looking at it now, the 40 gig have generated more sales and is outselling the other skus. If this is true about the white PS3, then the timing is rather odd. One can always spin it and say it will generate a negative reaction. But imo it's not going to have a long term effect.

But looking at it now, the 40 gig have generated more sales and is outselling the other skus.

You have a link for that?

Early reports after the 40gb unit introduction had the 80gb units outselling it significantly. It wouldn't surprise me if the 40gb unit was a better seller over the holidays, but I've seen no breakdown of the numbers.

the 40GB PS3 doesn't seem to be very popular in NA/EUR, but in Japan, it seems to be very popular. i remember the first week it was released, PS3 sales went up and the majority of the sales were the 40GB SKU. it could have been because of the white PS3 though... wasn't that released at the same time?

People were mad when the 40 gig PS3 couldn't play PS2 games. But looking at it now, the 40 gig have generated more sales and is outselling the other skus. If this is true about the white PS3, then the timing is rather odd. One can always spin it and say it will generate a negative reaction. But imo it's not going to have a long term effect.

I certainly think a price drop would be great for the PS3, of course. Just not at this point. March sounds good to me, maybe mid to late February at the latest. It's just right now people bought it and soon after the price drops.

I think a $299 pricepoint and a new aesthetic sku is exactly what the ps3 needs if Sony has any intention of overtaking the 360 in NA. If true, it would wreak of desperationif it happens in January, but I think its gotten to the point where small tweaking of their current strategy only guarantees Sony 3rd place. Maybe being outsold by almost 500,000 360's this xmas scared them. Possibly after Uncharted and RandC poor sales they don't have faith in software alone anymore. Perhaps they dont want to hinge their future on MGS4 and LBP to save the console in 2008. Im also not in the same camp that thinks that every next major exclusive will be the one that propels the PS3 to popularity (ie. lair, warhawk, motorstorm)

I would definitly purchase at 299.

Last edited by a moderator:

The 40GB has never been the best selling console of the two in Europe or America.

the 40GB PS3 doesn't seem to be very popular in NA/EUR, but in Japan, it seems to be very popular. i remember the first week it was released, PS3 sales went up and the majority of the sales were the 40GB SKU. it could have been because of the white PS3 though... wasn't that released at the same time?
40GB has to be popular because there're not any other SKUs around hehe ... :D

You were referring to this post I presume.
But, like keyn, we were both talking about the European market I think. :)

I do understand what you mean though. :)
And I think it's because Japanese like the gadget like stuff (like a white PS3) more then they prefer BC.
Or maybe that's just the stereotype image I got from them.
Instead the rest of the world value BC over price when they have an older generation console.

I doubt though that the white PS3 will generate the same sales in NA or Europe (if it's not accompanied with a price drop).

Back