Another awesome use of a Nintendo console

vazel

Regular
So we have people using the Wii to help disabled patients recover and surgeons training on it. Now Disney World is using the other hugely popular Nintendo hardware as a tour guide. Okay so it's not life altering like the other uses but it's still really neat. The downside is it doesn't work on your own DS, you have to use the GPS equipped ones supplied by Disney.

More pics of this thing in action in the link.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=2687886&postcount=95

That's pretty neat. I wonder if PSP was in the running as a candidate or if they targeted the DS all along because of the touch screen and perceived "ease-of-use".

When PSP was announced I thought it'd be ideal for this sort of thing. The touch screen may provide a slightly easier interface, but the big, clear screen of PSP still makes more sense to me, also for providing multimedia content such as videos while you wait, or mini documentaries about whatever artefacts you're looking at in a museum. If they opened the system up to public DS's then it'd make more sense as people are more likely to have one of those.

When PSP was announced I thought it'd be ideal for this sort of thing. The touch screen may provide a slightly easier interface, but the big, clear screen of PSP still makes more sense to me, also for providing multimedia content such as videos while you wait, or mini documentaries about whatever artefacts you're looking at in a museum.

Makes sense to me..

Even you have the added benefit of Wifi which means, provided they have WLAN network coverage, they could setup the software to stream location dependant tour data/info directly to the users PSP. All it would need would be a simple client running either from a UMD or the psp's web-browser (probably the easier/cheaper option) as a java-based applet & it could really work a treat..

That's pretty neat. I wonder if PSP was in the running as a candidate or if they targeted the DS all along because of the touch screen and perceived "ease-of-use".
I'd tend to say it's more the "less expensive" and "more easily able to take abuse" (especially the screens, what with the clamshell design). Probably also because the GPS unit could squeeze flush, instead of sticking out and modifying the console's contours.

Makes sense to me..

Even you have the added benefit of Wifi which means.
DS has Wifi too though, right? Or is theirs proprietary for ad hoc networks only? But yeah, WLAN data feeds and more RAM to do stuff in, PSP seems the better choice to me, though as cthellis42 points out, there's also the ruggedness to consider. If you're handing out consoles rather than letting people use their own, you're going to want them back in one piece knowing that the users aren't going to be particularly careful...

Also, expanding the idea of the media delivery on site, the ideal solution would be a client that could be run on handhelds, palmtops, or whatever system a person brings. The device would only need to stream content from local servers so the software could be produced for a range of devices. That'd leave it up to the visitor to arrange their own system, or perhaps rent one at the kiosk. There's no reason to be tied to a platform for a local server based media experience.

I'd tend to say it's more the "less expensive" and "more easily able to take abuse" (especially the screens, what with the clamshell design). Probably also because the GPS unit could squeeze flush, instead of sticking out and modifying the console's contours.

All valid points as well. Shifty highlighted some of PSP's benefits that go a long way towards off-setting its weaknesses.

That's just stoopid! Better to not throw things at your TV than have an over-engineered one. And it's ironic that people will consider buying a new HDTV to accommodate their SD Wii ;)

Back