Chevy Volt - Electric Car

Aaah, so what we need are coal powered cars!

Introducing the 2010 Toyota Pirus
images

You are not really right in this effect. B/C of the limitations of the ICE the efficiency already sucks using a combined cycle plant and then electricity --> mechanical energy is way more efficient actually.

Well I'm glad to be wrong.

At the NYC auto show they had a concept saturn. It was based on the volt from what I understand. It was really smart looking. It used camera's to give you a 360 degree view of the car and had no mirrors

They said it would get 32 miles to the charge and they removed the dual chair tracks in the front seats and replaced it with a single one on each side, it provides more leg room.

I have some video i will post this week of some cool stuff (its only from my phone though) and I have the print out they had from this car

Any car I need has to have a range of at least 100 miles. My commute is 10 miles each way, and sometimes, yes, I need to do something during the day. I don't want to be wonder 'will I make it home', particularly when it has no gas tank to fill up if I run out.

That's different. It has a range of 444 miles, 32 of which are electric only. A huge difference in usefulness.

Yea , even with a range of 32 miles though and your 22 mile commute you would have 10 miles left without using gas. If you plan properly you can get all your errands done on that single charge , or you can come home and charge for an hour or so and get another 10-15miles range

The point with the 444 mile range is you don't have to plan so you don't run out of juice on the side of the road because you messed up, or your batteries aren't as good as they were when you first bought them.

I'm sorry, but if I have a car with a 444 mile range, of which 32 are electric, I'm really not going to care exactly when the 32 are done for and I switch over to the generator. I'm not going to plan my day around driving all electric. The point is it would be good enough for all of my normal needs, but I don't have to worry if something deviates.

Matter of fact, I'll WANT my generator to come on more than a few times a week, or I'll have it corrode.

Yea , even with a range of 32 miles though and your 22 mile commute you would have 10 miles left without using gas. If you plan properly you can get all your errands done on that single charge , or you can come home and charge for an hour or so and get another 10-15miles range

Barring some unforseen road maintenance or a pile-up that results in a redirect.
The chemical nature of the battery means you'll need to carry a decoder wheel to take into account vagaries of battery aging and the effect a cold day, which can peel off a signifcant portion of the battery's effective range.

That's different. It has a range of 444 miles, 32 of which are electric only. A huge difference in usefulness.

No... I meant in the context it actually exists.

In other words how much all electric range would you want in a PHEV? For me I want >=20 miles.

From reading your previous post about wanting the generator to turn on I suppose perhaps this isn't as important to you.

We should do a poll I am just curious what people want in a PHEV in terms of all electric range. Like I said I want at least 20 miles some might be happy with 5 or demand 80 who knows.

32 "all electric" miles would be fine. You'll still want your generator to get a work out occasionally, and you'll want your fuel to not spend too long in the tank or you'll start to have maintenence problems.

32 "all electric" miles would be fine. You'll still want your generator to get a work out occasionally, and you'll want your fuel to not spend too long in the tank or you'll start to have maintenence problems.

My understanding with fuel is that is stores fine if agitated. So you shake it driving around and it is fine. Not sure though.

I meant what is the minimum all electric that you think would be satisfactory, but it isn't just you the question is directed at everyone. Just curious if it is continuous, or support drops off after 15 miles or some arbitrary number.

My understanding with fuel is that is stores fine if agitated. So you shake it driving around and it is fine. Not sure though.

Fuel is actually pretty resilient but I still think keeping the same gas in the tank for a year could shorten the life of your motor. I'd want to know the generator works also so running it occasionally is probably a good idea.

I meant what is the minimum all electric that you think would be satisfactory, but it isn't just you the question is directed at everyone. Just curious if it is continuous, or support drops off after 15 miles or some arbitrary number.

30 miles would probably be adequate for my use, I would exceed that only occasionally in daily use and for vacation travel.

Back