NPD December 2007

Matt Cassamania(sp?) from IGN has said Wii software sales outsold 360 in December...anyone have anything to back that up?

Wii only or Nintendo? Dollar value or unit sales? Looking at the top 10 sellers (20% edge for 360) it seems unlikely that the Wii on its own would be ahead of the 360 in unit or dollar sales. Going beyond the top ten I don't see the wii having more as rockband 360 and Mass Effect were notable 360 sellers with just GH3 for the Wii.

Wii only or Nintendo? Dollar value or unit sales? Looking at the top 10 sellers (20% edge for 360) it seems unlikely that the Wii on its own would be ahead of the 360 in unit or dollar sales. Going beyond the top ten I don't see the wii having more as rockband 360 and Mass Effect were notable 360 sellers with just GH3 for the Wii.
The claim was Wii software units. The implication was while the Wii isn't well represented in the top 10, clearly there was a ton of sales distributed among a lot of titles below the top 10...

I'm suspicious as well, which is why I'm asking for alternate sources.

The claim was Wii software units. The implication was while the Wii isn't well represented in the top 10, clearly there was a ton of sales distributed among a lot of titles below the top 10...

I'm suspicious as well, which is why I'm asking for alternate sources.

Well the Wii isn't notably represented in the top 20 either, the problem when you go beyond that level is that titles tend to sell very little. Of the top 10 totals and the 3 titles (gh3 wii, rockband 360, mass effect 360) I mentioned the wii is ~1 million units behind the 360. I'm not sure what titles there are being significant sellers on the wii (vs what other 360 titles sold) to make up that gap in sales and we're already counting Wii Play.

If you count Wii Sports and Wii Play.

If you do a comparison of 3rd party, it's extremely lopsided for 360.

360 is selling as much 3rd party software as PS3 and Wii combined.

True that.

Even if -somehow- PS3 surpassed the installed base of the 360, the amount of software being sold on the 360 will insure that it will be the defacto platform for third parties.

Just watch, the Wii will end up like Monopoly, the board game. I might pull it out of the closet 2-3 times a year, but I still have it. Surely people will play their Wii more than that, but that is the gist of it. Wii Sports is the impetus to getting the Wii into the room and it is doing a wonderful job as of now.

For a lot of the casual gamers and families it will be yes. Just like the PS1 and PS2 which was owned by millions upon millions of casual gamers and families (you didn't think 100+ million real gamers owned those consoles did you?...). But at the end of the day if the console is in these people's homes that's half the battle. They're far more likely to buy a game they see and are interested in if they already own the console, or a few games for Christmas or on birthdays for the family..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you count Wii Sports and Wii Play.

If you do a comparison of 3rd party, it's extremely lopsided for 360.

360 is selling as much 3rd party software as PS3 and Wii combined.

That isn't extremely lopsided.. Wii and PS3 are at just over 12 million combined in the US, 360 is at 11 million. Slightly lopsided would be more accurate.

True that.

Even if -somehow- PS3 surpassed the installed base of the 360, the amount of software being sold on the 360 will insure that it will be the defacto platform for third parties.

If the PS3 surpassed 360's install base it wouldn't have its large advantage anymore and could possibly lose its preferential treatment from third parties. Especially if both PS3 and Wii surpass its sales (lets face it Wii will do, the only question is by how much). Though frankly I think the advantage 360 has will keep it well ahead of PS3..

Last edited by a moderator:
If the PS3 surpassed 360's install base it wouldn't have its large advantage anymore and could possibly lose its preferential treatment from third parties. Especially if both PS3 and Wii surpass its sales (lets face it Wii will do, the only question is by how much).

There's been a very limited number of titles, to go multi-platform with the Wii, 360 and ps3. Even if with a dominant market, the wii is unlikely to become the lead platform for multi-platform titles that include ps3/360/pc because its easier to scale things down.

There's been a very limited number of titles, to go multi-platform with the Wii, 360 and ps3. Even if with a dominant market, the wii is unlikely to become the lead platform for multi-platform titles that include ps3/360/pc because its easier to scale things down.

I didn't say anything about Wii being lead platform What I'm saying is the combination of Wii and PS3 both having a bigger install base then 360 would greatly decrease the amount of focus developers put on 360. Luckily for MS I don't see PS3 surpassing it..

Luckily for MS I don't see PS3 surpassing it..

Well, I wouldn't rule Sony out just yet. In 2008, everything seem to aligning up for them; this could be the turning point. HD-DVD vs Bluray coming to an end. Price is not a big issue. If anything, MS failed to sealed the deal in 2007, giving Sony a chance in 2008.

If MS managed to get the 360 below $200 for 2008 holidays, Sony will be in trouble. But will MS do it? They seem to be more bottom line driven than Sony.

Games wise, except for FF, everything on the PS3 will be a wash against the 360. So what will be driving PS3 sales? Brand recognition if Sony managed to push the price down to disposable income level (out of the door price of $300).

edit: Duh, post...It seems like what people are already posting...:D

FF is almost certainly a 2009 title.. at least outside of Japan. So I wouldn't count it as a deciding factor for this year.

Well, I wouldn't rule Sony out just yet. In 2008, everything seem to aligning up for them; this could be the turning point. HD-DVD vs Bluray coming to an end. Price is not a big issue. If anything, MS failed to sealed the deal in 2007, giving Sony a chance in 2008.

If MS managed to get the 360 below $200 for 2008 holidays, Sony will be in trouble. But will MS do it? They seem to be more bottom line driven than Sony.

Games wise, except for FF, everything on the PS3 will be a wash against the 360. So what will be driving PS3 sales? Brand recognition if Sony managed to push the price down to disposable income level (out of the door price of $300).

edit: Duh, post...It seems like what people are already posting...:D

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle/articles/0801/18/news026_2.html
Sony feels that 399 is too cheap.

Eventually (as in now) Sony is going to have to step back and let the manufacturer partners make some money on this format. $400 PS3 all year long while standalones try to make inroads at cheaper prices.

If GTA is indeed coming end of 2008 (as preorder boxes seem to suggest at least for Europe) it's going to be extremely tempting for both Microsoft and Sony to lower prices around that time no doubt. But I also think they'll manage to get the actual manufacturing costs down again this year, for certain.

If GTA is indeed coming end of 2008 (as preorder boxes seem to suggest at least for Europe) it's going to be extremely tempting for both Microsoft and Sony to lower prices around that time no doubt. But I also think they'll manage to get the actual manufacturing costs down again this year, for certain.

There are some rumours circulating that Sony is dropping the price of PS3 to 299$ very soon, perhaps even at the end of this month or so. Those are just rumours at the moment though, but I keep hearing something along those lines in few different places. Let's see what happens.

There are some rumours circulating that Sony is dropping the price of PS3 to 299$ very soon, perhaps even at the end of this month or so. Those are just rumours at the moment though, but I keep hearing something along those lines in few different places. Let's see what happens.
Going from $399 to $299 sounds very unlikely.

I expect the next drop to give a price in the range $349 - $369 and maybe it will happen around the release of GTA4 or later. If they drop the price earlier I would be very surprised.

Going from $399 to $299 sounds very unlikely.

I expect the next drop to give a price in the range $349 - $369 and maybe it will happen around the release of GTA4 or later. If they drop the price earlier I would be very surprised.

Yeah I'm not buying this rumour at a face value either, but something seems to be up...

I'm hoping Sony is smart enough not to dick around with miniscule price drops at this stage. I think Microsoft's pricing strategy has been weak, to say the least. Their last price cut didn't look very appealing and neither will their next one as a consequence. They may get to the 299 price point for the Premium at the same time as they would have otherwise, but it looks chintsy.

I'm hoping Sony is smart enough not to dick around with miniscule price drops at this stage. I think Microsoft's pricing strategy has been weak, to say the least. Their last price cut didn't look very appealing and neither will their next one as a consequence. They may get to the 299 price point for the Premium at the same time as they would have otherwise, but it looks chintsy.

I agree, small price drops are annoying.

They may however offer a good bundle in the mean time until they can offer a substantial price drop. Sony has just started such a drive in Europe and MS sticks their Pro Value bundle.

Back