Science/Fantasy Fiction - was part of "R J has passed away"

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Fall of '08 at the earliest, but if I were a gambling man I'd bet on 2009 at this rate.
Anyone read the authors he lists at the bottom of his post?
And if it's more epic fantasy that you're yearning for, there's never been more good fantasies being published than there are right now. Try Daniel Abraham, try Scott Lynch, try S.L. Farrell and David Anthony Durham and Peter S. Beagle, try Lisa Tuttle and Robin Hobb and Ellen Kushner, or any of myriad other authors whose work is making fantasy such an exciting genre to be a part of
I havent read any of the above authors' books, any really good series in there?

I read Robin Hobb's 9-book Fitz/Liveship series about a year ago. Slow and a little depressing at times, but worth reading. Peter Beagle has been around for decades, wrote The Last Unicorn and A Fine and Private Place.

One of my all-time sci-fantasy series that damn few people have even heard of is Julian May's Sage of Pliocene Exile published in the early 80s.

One of my all-time sci-fantasy series that damn few people have even heard of is Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile published in the early 80s.

I'll second that (though I've corrected it to "Saga" :p), and the follow up Galactic Milieu trilogy were well worth a read also.

One of my all-time sci-fantasy series that damn few people have even heard of is Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile published in the early 80s.
"Oh Danny boy..."

I read it quite a number of years ago and seem to recall enjoying it. :)

Robin Hobb is great, she loves kicking her protagonists in the face.

Giving Hobb a chance. Local library has at least the first in the farseer trilogy.

Read the Farseer trilogy, then the Liveship books, and last the Tawny Man (which returns to Fitz). All are set in the same world, and everything will make more sense if read in that order.

Epic I think you ought to try Carol Berg like I said.

I did like Robin hobb's btw, but it was up and down and the new series (soldier son) is definitely not as good IMO.

I like Peter F Hamilton's work (sci fi). The Commonwealth saga is great, so is the Night's Dawn trilogy. I really liked the new book too, Into the Void.

I like Robin Hobb too, though i'm with John there : "Slow and a little depressing at times, but worth reading".

If you like Peter F. Hamilton's work, you should give Alastair Reynolds a whirl.

Start with Revelation Space, then Chasm City, then Redemption Ark, then Absolution Gap and then The Prefect.

After that you can read Century Rain and Pushing Ice, both which are standalone and not in the Revelation Space universe.

I would also add Neal Asher, Richard Morgan, and (of course) the Iain M. Banks Culture novels to that SF list. Along with Reynolds and Hamilton, there's no authors I look forwards to more at the moment.

I read Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod this summer and I can't say I recommend it. It wasn't stellar, though it picked up towards the end.

I read Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod this summer and I can't say I recommend it. It wasn't stellar, though it picked up towards the end.

There are (IIRC) four books in that series, and I think that is the least good one. Have you read the others?

His Engines of Light books are also a bit nicer to read, though not as heavy with the hard technology and politics.

No, I only read the first one since I had only that and The Prefect by Reynolds and I enjoyed The Prefect so much that I started reading all of Reynolds' stuff.

I may consider going back to Ken MacLeod but only after finishing Pushing Ice and some Steven Erickson stuff I have lined up.

One more vote for Reynolds. I only know Chasm City and Pushing Ice yet, but both were really great - especially the latter blew me away with its great execution of "to boldly go where no one has gone before". :)

And to get back to the original topic of fantasy:
A pleasant and unexpected suprise I recently stumbled upon are the Zamonia books by Walter Moers. Yes, the guy of "Little Asshole" and "Adolf, the Nazi Pig" comics fame.
I never expected that kind of stuff from him.
I finished "Rumo und die Wunder im Dunkeln" ("Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures") already and recently started "Die 13 1/2 Leben des Käpt’n Blaubär" ("The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear").

Really inventive fantasy, sometimes quite dark and bloody (quite graphic), but with a great sense of humor, and his writing style is top notch - IMO better than a lot of the bestselling fantasy authors out there. From what I've read he's sometimes compared to Terry Pratchett, and while the differences are of course huge, the level of writing quality, humor and inventiveness are definitely something they have in common.
What's very refreshing to me is the "different feel" of Moers' fantasy - he seems to draw a lot from old german(ic) lore and literature and you don't find that often in modern fantasy...

I sadly don't know how good the english translations are. I'm afraid it's inevitable they lose a lot in translation. (again, just like Pratchett. :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
For intelligent and witty SF also try Charles Stross, notably his "Eschaton" series: Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise.

I found them both very entertaining.

Other SF classic "Space Operas" worth reading are:

Vernor Vinge: A Fire Upon the Deep, A Deepness in the Sky
David Brin: "Uplift" series
Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle: The Mote in God's Eye, The Moat Around Murcheson's Eye

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone read Melanie Rawns Dragon Prince series? Not too bad.

Yeah I read that too.

JR you sure she quit? When was that? I saw some newer stuff than the dragon prince stuff.

BTW I think her work is greatly entertaining, but not great. I read to be entertained so I am not dissing her.

Finished the first Farseer book (by hobb) and it was pretty good. I usually like my fantasy novels to have more magic/fighting, but this was pretty good.

Back