Resistance 2

Anybody listened the radio "prank" of Orson Welles? Trailer guy sounds remarkable similar but I'm too lazy to search for a fresher comparison. (It has been some time you know ;) )

The big monster is definitely self shadowed :)

YAY.
gladtomeetya.gif

It's about time.
batman.gif

Everything looks great from distance, including the prebaked env lighting.
When you come very close surfaces seem to have detail textures visible under muzzle flash, even without that textures are improved much more.
But in between, anything besides metallic or alien structures looks lame. :)
Though I'm OK with that, they will likely improve the lighting.

Also, though the Leviathan looks nice, when Hale enters the adjoining building to reach the roof, the objects are very low res and bland. The game is not finished yet, so yes lets hope it all improves. The MP footage at gamersyde looks good though ! :cool:

They are still adding effects. I read in one of the previews that that building is supposed to be on fire. The Leviathan looking through those windows reminds me of God of War 2. Good stuff.

Meh about graphics improvements :p (I couldn't care less).

They are making some significant changes:
* 2 weapon max (Argh !)
* Human almost the same capability as Chimera now (Boo !)

I shall be open minded and play before I judge. I hope it won't be like Halo 2 vs Halo 1.

The 2 weapons max will definitely limit the players options to experiment with the gameplay like you could in Rfom. I like the fact that the Chimera are no longer overpowered. Now all they need to do is limit the amount of tags that noobgun the bullseye has.

Noooooooo, don't gimp the Bullseye. People trained to perfect their tagging skill and it worked. Even though I don't/seldom use tagging myself, I can appreciate people who do.

The only thing they need to add to counter over-tagging is some way for others to block/melee it (also via skills). They can even do it such that if a block is successful, the bullseye weapon stops working for sometime. Naturally, they need to play test the concept.

Right now you can only shake frantically to drop the tag, but it's too late.

The 2 weapons max will definitely limit the players options to experiment with the gameplay like you could in Rfom. I like the fact that the Chimera are no longer overpowered. Now all they need to do is limit the amount of tags that noobgun the bullseye has.

Yeah I love how people claim bullseye is a noob weapon yet most players still use carbine.
Actually the first thing noobs do when playing Chimera is looking for a carbine.
If you want a real overpowered gun see old Rossmore, or new Arc Charger.

I'm a tagger, and proud one at that. It's a tricky weapon, tagging at close range is easy but not necessary, at distance however it takes skill and without it bullseye is useless.

Of course I have to say, there is certain satisfaction after tagging and dancing around the enemy, making him crazy. ;)

What clan are you in?

I'm a tagger, and proud one at that. It's a tricky weapon, tagging at close range is easy but not necessary, at distance however it takes skill and without it bullseye is useless.

I have seen others lay a "bullet trap/hive" using tags too. How does that turn out in real use ? (practical ?). Carbine + 40mm grenade whoring works as a powerful noob weapon. I prefer Carbine because it's more accurate (easier to get headshot).

These days my other preferred weapon is the Auger. It's useful in a maze fight.

Yes, the Arc Charger is way too powerful. Some use it as a "catch up" weapon. When they fall behind in overall score, they will grab a Charger, do a few rounds of BBQ, and they are back in the race again.

I have seen others lay a "bullet trap/hive" using tags too. How does that turn out in real use ? (practical ?).
I don't do that, you loose tagging, and I have not seen anybody falling for it either (more than maybe once). I think most people do that purely for entertainment.
Carbine + 40mm grenade whoring works as a powerful noob weapon.
I agree, but 40mm is limited ammo like Laark so I didn't really count that.
These days my other preferred weapon is the Auger. It's useful in a maze fight.
I love it (one of the two favorite weapons), but I can only use it in corridors (Mall) or mazes (Grimsy).
Besides that I use it often to shield up and gain strategical advantage against coming enemy.
I don't fire it though, switch weapon instead. Strangely I haven't seen anyone else use it like that.

But I have seen people use it at open perfectly. They surround themselves with the shields and perfect time the (head) shots.

Yes, the Arc Charger is way too powerful. Some uses it as a "catch up" weapon. When they fall behind in overall score, they will grab a Charger, do a few rounds of BBQ, and they are back in the race again.

I think in terms of balancing, they need to tone it down (obviously), maybe increase Carbine clip size, add some more tag penally (just to shut up people calling Bullseye noob weapon), add some x-ray vision blocking walls here and there, and maybe give run and gun ability to humans (but not as much as Chimera).

Yeah I love how people claim bullseye is a noob weapon yet most players still use carbine.
Actually the first thing noobs do when playing Chimera is looking for a carbine.

Of course I have to say, there is certain satisfaction after tagging and dancing around the enemy, making him crazy. ;)

What clan are you in?

The Carbine is my favourite weapon. Getting the 11 perfect headshots needed to kill someone feels excellent. The Chimera will make every weapon to powerful.

Everything I feel is to powerful I'll hardly use. These are like you said the old Rossmore and the new Arc charger but also the Laark, the 40mm grenades and the infinite Bullseye tags. All these are used almost exclusively by some people, and they will often camp next to the Laark and 40mm grenades spawnpoints.

I do like the idea behind the Bullseye, but I found tagging became second nature very quickly and therefore to easy to kill with. The thing I like to do most with it, was when being faced by two enemies at close range, tagging the one furthest away on the head and then redirecting the the stream of bullets through the other guys head. It would kill them both faster then you normally could.

I'm in The KillerZ clan. Resistance is the only game I've played clanwars in so far, not liking CoD4 and it being impossible in Battlefield. Clanwar are still the best way to enjoy the game IMO. Almost all clans on the clanladders wanted to play as Humans only and ban the Laark, 40mm grenades and Bullseye tags. This creates a better balance between weapons and it focuses more on skills.

What clan are you in?

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that footage, when I said it lacked polish.
I felt they didnt do a very good job of selling the brute force of this creature. I'm talkin specifically about the times when Hale was inside of the building, going up the steps or walking around--one of the guys from Insomniac actually admitted that fire effects and some deformation elements were missing--I kept expecting the Leviathan to smash right through the walls with a fist or something and make climbing those sets of stairs more dramatic, but all it did was stand outside the building and scream. There was barely any sort of impressive looking structural damage.
When Hale was crossing that bridge, how come the structure barely shook when the thing smashed its fist into it? The Leviathan didnt even cause any sort of structural damage until Hale was a safe distance from it.

Every time I saw the Leviathan I kept waiting for it to smash a skyscaper with its fist, cause some sort of chaotic destruction, but I didnt see anything that sold the impact and devastation of a pissed off 300 foot monster. I saw some shattered glass.
It felt static. Plus the textures inside those buildings were pretty rough looking too.

I have to say I agree... the tone and tenor of that entire encounter in my mind should have been along the lines of "get the hell out of here... NOW!" But instead it sort of felt that Hale could hang around and engage the thing without too much fear of it actually killing him. Honestly throughout that encounter my suspension of disbelief meter was straining under the notion that this monster had not killed him yet, every minute he remained facing it.

I love the idea of the leviathan and what Insomniac is going for there, but for me it would have been better if the creature was truly portrayed to be essentially invincible in relation to the weapons wielded by the foot soldiers. Luke getting grabbed by the rancor, yes, I can go with that. But being grabbed (and then thrown) by this thing is life-ending twice over just right there.

Great graphics and atmospherics though throughout the encounter.

I heard on the 1up show (from Brian who now works at Insomiac, so that should be reliable ;) ) that the final version of that scene is actually going to have that whole building on fire ... ! Also, he didn't smash that bridge, but actually he grabbed it. You can see that if you look carefully, as you walk through his clutches. Nice detail from the 1up show also was that while playing, Ted Price actually almost died and he would have had to start the demo again as they weren't using any kind of god-mode. And they didn't have a fall-back feed either, like Gears did ... :D

I have to say I agree... the tone and tenor of that entire encounter in my mind should have been along the lines of "get the hell out of here... NOW!" But instead it sort of felt that Hale could hang around and engage the thing without too much fear of it actually killing him. Honestly throughout that encounter my suspension of disbelief meter was straining under the notion that this monster had not killed him yet, every minute he remained facing it.

I love the idea of the leviathan and what Insomniac is going for there, but for me it would have been better if the creature was truly portrayed to be essentially invincible in relation to the weapons wielded by the foot soldiers. Luke getting grabbed by the rancor, yes, I can go with that. But being grabbed (and then thrown) by this thing is life-ending twice over just right there.

Great graphics and atmospherics though throughout the encounter.

Hale is infected so he has power to heal fast.

Hale is infected so he has power to heal fast.

Oh I realize that... but that doesn't validate what I saw go down. ;)

Healing is one thing, surviving what was probably a ton(s) of force on his skeletal frame is another.

Back