Xbox 360 Motion Controller: Too late?

I wouldnt mind seeing MS release a waggle controller though. Besides that devs might take motion controll more seriously I'm going to have a huge laugh at those x360 fanboys at some forums that say waggle is lame and MS cares about the real gamer. I'll be laughing my ass off seeing them sqeeze in all kind of bends to talk themselves a way out of MS using motion controlls :D

Kinda like when Sony said rumble was a last gen feature?

Too Late? Yes and no.
It's right on time for Xbox 3.

Theres rumors about MS contacting Gyration about two years ago. The 360 came out about two years ago. Whoever knocks together xbox designs probably started on X3 two years ago when he/she/hims/shims/predominantly human or female/even-gendersplit-group wrapped up the 360 design and faxed it to Mexico where it is sewn together by old maids to this day.

Yeah, the motion controls are go for Xbox3. Nobody wants them now anyways. They are no good for wii ports because third party wii games don't sell (relativly speaking) and god knows publishers arn't keen on that. Noone wants to take a weakly performing "wii game" and put it on a 360 with a fractured waggle-base and users who are GAMERS and know the difference between a real fuc*ing videogame and glorified flash game horseshit. (For the most part.)

Oh yay, another thread breaks down into "Real gamers don't play Wii games."

But... but... they don't!

I think Q hit it right on the head. MS releasing a motion based controller will help developers and Nintendo far more than it will help MS and the 360, but I'm sure even the small blip it would make for MS would be worth it. After all, they aren't going to lose money selling this peripheral.

So if MS does create such a controller, it would increase developer's likelihood to create games based around motion controllers (rather than just have it 'tacked on' after the fact), knowing that they have a large base in the Wii and also knowing that the games can be ported to the 360 using the 360's motion controller. Even though the % of the 360 base that purchases the peripheral will be small, they'll still be more willing to do so.

Really, I see MS releasing a controller like this for the 360 resulting increased development (or increase emphasis or implementation) for the Wii.

Then, it comes down to a scalability issue. Red Steel, for example, if released for the 360 and requiring this new controller would be stunningly unacceptable in terms of visuals.

But this is the sort of thing that could provide developers with the motivation they need to do a better job utilizing motion controls in their games, and as the primary motion control platform, the Wii has the most to gain.

If Microsoft simply implemented it into all its controllers from now on then it would become very common on systems. This and a price cut would cut away every good factor of the Wii except image.

Well AzBat you beat me this time, but I will get you next time.

Some other links worth noting:

MS Wand research and patents: http://research.microsoft.com/~awilson/wand/default.htm
Gyration has a 3D mouse for the Windows MC: http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review1554.html
Peter Moore hinted that something was in the works: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143935

On two different occassions a Microsoft represenative had mentioned an "XFPS" controller (NOT the product so named). I cannot find the links due to the proliferation of XFPS product links, but MS has hinted at such a product a number of times.

I think for a MS motion controller to work well it will need to work well with FPS. There isn't a big enough market on the 360 or PS3 to driver a perephrial to mainstream success and relevance by catering to smaller niches and genres or ones that are dominated by the Wii. Personally, September would have been the ideal time for such a product. People would pick up Halo 3 as well as the new controller (easy $20 markup for MS) and they would have made millions and millions extra plus would have driven high market penetration.

Anyhow... I see it happening. Even if for a "test drive" for Xbox 3. Perephrial's don't always need to be a "success" in the normal sense to be beneficial. And sometimes you hit on something like the Dual Shock that is noteworthy enough to gain some support.

If Microsoft simply implemented it into all its controllers from now on then it would become very common on systems. This and a price cut would cut away every good factor of the Wii except image.
And software. For comparison, XB360 has a cheaper entry price then PS3 and a camera peripheral, but it's not a choice for camera based gaming because there's no games. To actually compete with Wii the XBWC system would need comparable software, and this is often the Achilles' Heel of peripherals. There are waggle controllers out for PS2 in the RealPlay system, and by Eurogamer's reckoning the software is a pile of stinking poo (as well as the hardware not being very responsive). They're doomed.

A successful competitor to Wii would need to be incredibly well executed, and there's just very, very few products that are ever executed that well that you'd except it here. Just looking at MS's recent history - consoles that break down, a camera out for a year with a few uninspired titles supporting camera play, and a pricy steering wheel followed with a global recall - doesn't really inspire one to think they will produce a robust motion solution that's comparable to Wii and couple it with compelling games and applications and market it successfully to attain critical-mass adoption rates.

IMHO the train has already left the station for this gen. The Wii has already captured the consumers' mindshare (consumer referring to typical casual / mainstream consumer) when it comes to motion control. Most people aren't even aware that there's some form of motion control on the PS3. When it comes to motion control, they simply want a Wii, not a PS3 controller and certainly not an Xbox peripheral that comes late to the party.

The only purpose, such a peripheral has, is to cater to the audience that has already an Xbox or is already set on buying one, i.e. getting users to spend more on your XLA titles, etc. But as a pull / attraction factor, when it comes to buying an Xbox360, a motion control peripheral has minuscule weight, almost negligible. It won't have the full backing of library, it will have a rather tiny installed base (thus affecting software availability) and most importantly it will be almost unknown to the casual consumer ( thus affecting the installed base). Sure ad campaigns could somewhat reduce that problem, but I certainly doubt it will in fact be worth it. I really doubt that a peripheral would be a system seller.

Mind you, that as soon as the next-gen starts, new cards will be dealt. I definitely expect both MS and Sony to fully jump the motion control bandwagon with new clever standard controller designs. So I think MS research into motion control will rather be used in the next Xbox.
Personally, I think it will be interesting to see how Nintendo will do after their competitors will draw level with them in the next generation consoles with regard to motion control. With that advantage gone and their hardware being underpowered compared to the competitors, Nintendo will probably have a really rough time, IMO.

The PS1 launched without analog controllers, while the N64 did. This did not mean that releasing the Dual Shock was a waste of time - it went on to be popular and set consumer expectations for the next system. It's too late for the 360 to be a Wii, but that doesn't mean the machine can't benefit from a motion control device and that there aren't profits that could be made.

The 360 is two years into (likely) a 7 - 10 year lifecycle and selling huge amounts of software. Most of the software and systems are yet to be sold. Any system is only one killer app away from changing the way it's perceived, and if Wii Sports can shift millions of Wiis it could sure as hell shift a few (cheap to manufacture) controllers.

If motion control is truly mainstream and worthwhile and not just a passing fad then the analogy of a train leaving a station doesn't really fit - analog wasn't a one shot opportunity. We don't know what MS have planned yet, but the idea that "all peripherals fail" is a very mistaken one, where success is set as being outright victory or something becoming standard and used by all games. "If it makes money" is a much better starting point.

The PS1 launched without analog controllers, while the N64 did. This did not mean that releasing the Dual Shock was a waste of time - it went on to be popular and set consumer expectations for the next system.
As it was bundled with every system sold, no, it wasn't a waste of time. If MS were to do the same, they'd soon rack up an install base of millions. If they don't have software for it though, the existing 12+ million XB360 owners won't bother to buy the peripheral and the market will remain niche. A few million sold isn't enough to secure you as a proper part of the machine.

And software. For comparison, XB360 has a cheaper entry price then PS3 and a camera peripheral, but it's not a choice for camera based gaming because there's no games. To actually compete with Wii the XBWC system would need comparable software, and this is often the Achilles' Heel of peripherals. There are waggle controllers out for PS2 in the RealPlay system, and by Eurogamer's reckoning the software is a pile of stinking poo (as well as the hardware not being very responsive). They're doomed.

A successful competitor to Wii would need to be incredibly well executed, and there's just very, very few products that are ever executed that well that you'd except it here. Just looking at MS's recent history - consoles that break down, a camera out for a year with a few uninspired titles supporting camera play, and a pricy steering wheel followed with a global recall - doesn't really inspire one to think they will produce a robust motion solution that's comparable to Wii and couple it with compelling games and applications and market it successfully to attain critical-mass adoption rates.

By introducing the hardware and marketing the feature and then providing support to developers you'd quickly get some interest. I really don't believe it'd take much at all in the way of execution. There is NO reason at all this couldn't work exactly as Dual Shock did, which I seem to recall a number of games using the "feature."

It would be nice to not have to play FPS on a dual analog stick. I mean, after trying out MP3 and MOHH, there's no way I can play another control pad based FPS. MOHH is almost PC like accuracy changes the way FPS controls show be done on consoles. I say do it, MS, make the controller and pack it with some big name FPS. Kinda like the Wii Fit board, you know.

Not only is it painfully silly to make a claim which is so intrinsically wrong, but what's almost as bad is how people usually define these "real gamers"..

Hmm...

The board ignored my fake tags. They were "[hide]... [/hide]"

Anyway, no need to derail the thread again.

As it was bundled with every system sold, no, it wasn't a waste of time. If MS were to do the same, they'd soon rack up an install base of millions. If they don't have software for it though, the existing 12+ million XB360 owners won't bother to buy the peripheral and the market will remain niche. A few million sold isn't enough to secure you as a proper part of the machine.

What do you class as being a waste? If something isn't bundled with every system? If a peripheral allows extra profit or mindshare (at an acceptable cost) I don't see it as being a waste.

We don't know what MS are planning yet: it could be anything from a revised 360 controller to a separate wand style device. It would be easy to contrive a situation where we could call either a failure or waste whatever happens, and I don't think the way people are falling over themselves to shout that it's "too late" or pointless before we know anything [edit: about the implementation] or have seen how it has been received is particularly insightful.

I wonder how people view these things: the Dual Shock; the Guitar Hero controller; the EyeToy; the Sing Star mic; a keyboard for a console.

Is the Guitar Hero controller a waste or failure because it isn't part of the standard 360/PS2/etc package? I don't see it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you class as being a waste?
Well, 'waste' wasn't my choice of words. As you say, it depends what MS are aiming for. I think some onlookers are looking for a Wii challenger, or something substantial like EyeToy, and not a niche device. From one POV the Vision camera is a success, as it provide straightforward video-chat; but on the other hand it's a 'waste of time' because it hasn't brought gesture recognition of motion gaming to XB360. Depends what you want it for.

Too late for this gen. But as usual, as it has happened in the past, yes it is only natural for sony and ms to copy nintendo.

Looks like the idea of Wiimote-type controller for the Xbox 360 might actually come out.

MTV News got an anonymous tip.

Xbox 360 Version Of Wii Remote Has Been In Development Since Summer, Source Exclusively Tells MTV News

exclusive1.jpg

Tommy McClain

Back