Xbox 360 Motion Controller: Too late?

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
Well, it's been known for awhile that Microsoft has been considering a motion-sensing controller, but the rumors have stepped up again with a little more credibility:

XboxFamily.com said:
It appears Microsoft has contracted the Saratoga, California firm, Gyration to handle the peripheral. If that name sounds familiar, it’s for good reason. Gyration is the company responsible for the prototype designs of the Nintendo Wii-mote, which we all know has become a huge success. Most recently, the company was in the spotlight for creating a motion-sensing remote for Microsoft’s Media Center.

http://xboxfamily.com/xf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1107&Itemid=2

TeamXbox.com said:
TeamXbox.com can confirm that Microsoft has been researching on alternative input technologies for the last two years, including vision-based recognition such as the one used on Xbox Live Vision, as well as motion sensing technologies similar to those seen in the Microsoft Freestyle Pro and the PlayStation 3 SIXAXIS.

Particularly, Microsoft has looked at ways to improve the right analog stick input and you’ll hear more about those efforts soon.

In the long run, there’s more than a first-party tilt mod in the works and TeamXbox.com will bring you a real list of next-generation Xbox controller prototypes soon.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15364/Microsoft-Cooking-Up-Enhanced-Xbox-360-Controller/

Is this too little too late? Nintendo already has the mind-share with regard to motion-controlled games for now and probably forever. And even if this rumor is true, then we might not see this till next holiday. Seems to me that Microsoft is at least a year too late in order to get any traction with the idea.

Now, if the TeamXbox info is right and it's more than just motion-sensing controller, but something that also helps with the right-thumb stick, then I'm all for that. But, if it's just a tilt-mod design like we've already seen, then I'll be woefully unimpressed.

Tommy McClain

I don't think it's too late because lots of third parties on the Wii would like another chance to make money by releasing those custom Wii games on another platform. even if those titles were released via XBox live it could be beneficial to Third parties.

I'm interested to see if it's something more then just "motion" too. I'm not sure what they could do with the right thumbstick. I've always wanted a controller that could be modded to use a track ball, thumbstick, or other device by snapping it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's never really too late for a good peripheral. The question will be how good, and how many will use it.

I don't think it's too late because lots of third parties on the Wii would like another change to make money by releasing those custom Wii games on another platform. even if those titles were released via XBox live it could be beneficial to Third parties.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. So maybe another digital games service like Live Arcade and Xbox Originals? Something like Xbox Party or Jump In? ;) Would make sense if they were smaller titles like Live Arcade. I'm not sure if 1gb size games will do well for the target audience.

I'm interested to see if it's something more then just "motion" too. I'm not sure what they could do with the right thumbstick. I've always wanted a controller that could be modded to use a track ball, thumstick, or other device by snapping it on.

Agreed. I'm kinda still bummed about the BodieLobus trackball controller. It was an interesting idea, but understand why it never got off the ground. Maybe this new Xbox controller is similar. But I don't want just something that's bolted on or looks like something we've had before. The concept images Gyration came up with for the Wiimote we're interesting. It would be cool if we got something like that.

Tommy McClain

it wont succeed for the simple reason why almost all pheripals fail, as a dev you can never be sure how many people will have the pheripall so you wont see any dev taking the risk making a 20million dollar game based on a controller they dont know how many people have. Ofcourse there are exeptions like guitar hero and rock band.

It will most likely turn out like eyetoy, a bunch of mini games at best. Maybe some ports of wii party games if it can be done for a happy meal and some chicken nuggets but not something that makes you think now this is awsome. Not to mention the wii already has the mindshare of being the motion sensing console.

I wouldnt mind seeing MS release a waggle controller though. Besides that devs might take motion controll more seriously I'm going to have a huge laugh at those x360 fanboys at some forums that say waggle is lame and MS cares about the real gamer. I'll be laughing my ass off seeing them sqeeze in all kind of bends to talk themselves a way out of MS using motion controlls :D

I'll say it's too late, for the sad reason devs don't target peripherals properly. MS have done nothing with the camera despite the potential there for Wii/EyeToy-like fun party games. Motion control in PS3 is barely used and certainly not well in every application.

Now if MS were serious about this, they could pack a very functional peripheral in with the Arcade bundle with a competing game and advertise the bejesus out of it. And if they couple it with a Halo patch that adds the Most Awesomenest FPS Control to XB360's very popular FPS titles, they're bound to net a lot of peripheral sales.

In conclusion, the potential is there, but like so much potential across these system will likely be wasted on a half-baked implementation with token support.

Screw the waggle controls, I want to see games that use the Vision Cam for more than video chat/ static pictures...

I personally don't want those motion stuff forced to be used in games. I already do enough sports, I just play games for relaxing and stress buster.

I doubt this will happen this gen at least though, people who already have a 360 only have standard controllers.

I hope we never see this monstruosity come out, and I hope they do not add it next time around either... I don't want it, I don't need it, I am happy with my controller the way it is.

I know we've seen a lot of PS/PS3 designs from Split Fish before, but the GlideFX shown below might be something like Microsoft might be trying. It's a pretty good rip-off of the Wiimote except that it has a trackball. IMHO that's the direction they're likely to go with anyway. I could see Microsoft melding this idea with Gyration's 2-handed break-apart GyroPod concept. That way it can still be snapped together to be used like a traditional controller.

IMHO, if they can update the right-thumb stick to a trackball or whateve, add motion sensing/tracking without the need of a sensor bar and do it all without wires(eg: nunchuk), then maybe Microsoft might have something that Wii users and tranditional controller users would both like.

Personally I don't think the new controller needs all the same buttons of a standard 360 controller. I think Nintendo had the right idea with fewer buttons, but I've never like their placement. I also never liked like the nunchuk wire either. I want wireless damn it! LOL :) Anyway, maybe they should lose the D-pad and bumpers and keep the thumbsticks(or one thumbstick and one trackball), triggers and face buttons. Though I'm not sure where they would put the face buttons if they had a trackball. Not sure I like the GlideFX face button placement.

glidefx_pic.jpg

wii21.jpg

GyroPod_Slide_1.jpg

Tommy McClain

I personally don't want those motion stuff forced to be used in games. I already do enough sports, I just play games for relaxing and stress buster.

I doubt this will happen this gen at least though, people who already have a 360 only have standard controllers.

Well most wii games dont require more movement than small wrist movements, its not like playing a motion based game is like a heavy work out in the gym :) You really arnt moving that much more than with your normal controller.

it wont succeed for the simple reason why almost all pheripals fail, as a dev you can never be sure how many people will have the pheripall so you wont see any dev taking the risk making a 20million dollar game based on a controller they dont know how many people have. Ofcourse there are exeptions like guitar hero and rock band.

I agree that if Microsoft just releases the controller by itself and not as part of some bundle, then it will fail because of lack of developer support. However, if they were serious like Shifty mentions and include it with the Arcade bundle, then Microsoft could get some serious developer support.

I'm going to have a huge laugh at those x360 fanboys at some forums that say waggle is lame and MS cares about the real gamer. I'll be laughing my ass off seeing them sqeeze in all kind of bends to talk themselves a way out of MS using motion controlls :D

I've personally not been interested in it because I've already invested in the 360 and don't plan on buying another expensive console. That's the biggest reason why I've slighted the Wii. However, if I could buy this controller and get similar games for the price of the Wiimote and Nunchuk($60), then I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have no qualms with changing my opinion. :)

Tommy McClain

Screw the waggle controls, I want to see games that use the Vision Cam for more than video chat/ static pictures...

I've got the camera, but after my experience with the TotemBall, EyeToy and Wii, I think I've decided I'd rather Wii-type motion sensing instead. I'll keep the camera for voice-chatting and other non-controller-type uses. LOL ;)

Tommy McClain

I hope we never see this monstruosity come out, and I hope they do not add it next time around either... I don't want it, I don't need it, I am happy with my controller the way it is.

That's the nice thing about the free market, if you don't like it, then you don't have to buy it. ;)

Anyway, the success of the Wii has pretty much guaranteed that Microsoft will make their own version. Might also force Sony to make a better version of theirs. The market has spoken, people love the Wii.

Tommy McClain

Nice !

I'd say it's not too late to introduce more (or more advanced) motion sensing game/controller into the mix -- even for 360.

In fact, I also hope Sony continues to evolve their SIXAXIS controller. It's pretty sensitive and usable but I want to be able to split a handle out and use it like a 3D mouse. That probably means that the SIXAXIS mechanism has to fit inside one handle.

Where augmented reality is concerned...

I am looking forward to more PS Eye techniques (gesture, sound recognition, motion detection, ...), or even a simple TV remote that has only 1 - 3 buttons; but rely on motion (or pointing) to operate. All these innovation will also require Sony to simplify their UI (e.g., The Blu-ray overlay menu is too complicated).

Instead of another lame sixaxisesque bastard controller, I'd love something simple like this

That's freaking cool. Great find. I wouldn't be adverse to something altogether different too, but it would probably better for the next-generation.

Tommy McClain

It could be successful if they follow the WiiFit model. That is, release it with enough compelling content (games/mini-games) to make it a worthwhile purchase by itself, so that you don't need to wait for developer support.

If they replace the current bundled controllers and first party after market controllers with a model that fixes some of the issues of the current controller (right thumb stick, directional pad?) and adds the motion feature then it would be very easy to saturate the market with the motion sensing capability and would mean a near majority of people could end up having a controller or two with this ability. Of course, this would mean Microsoft would have to sell the new "enhanced" controller for the same price as the old. So if they want to not be greedy they could actually very quickly make a nice sizable market for the feature. Not only that but a combined marketing push of both Arcade games and full featured games and that could make for a serious draw. Combined with a price drop in '08 and you're talking about a serious unit moving feature.

Back