Naruto PS3 Project, Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (cel-shaded fighters from Bandai Namco)

:LOL: Don't get touchy ! I meant it in the loose sense since Microsoft spent a hell lot of money pushing the game to the masses. I usually assume that people are talking about console games in this forum (PC Gaming has a separate forum).

Can it enhance every sort of game, though? I'm one of those who wouldn't like to see sixaxis in a fighting game. I just can't see what sort of benefit it'd bring over button presses.
Again with the button exclusion thing! In addition to the existing button presses, motion control could add :

1) Reaction dodges for players who aren't great at button control but have do react to a threat with an arm jerk.
2) Weight shifting to add close-quarter dodging or block-circumvention (as Arwin points out, probably needs a more sophisticated animation engine than most games have)
3) Optional motion controlled motion, with tilt forward/back for duck, rise, and a flick for little jumps
4) Camera adjustment - not really a thing for fighter games, but in this game with it's exploration, it'd be a nice addition.

There are 100 missions in the game, fighting is probably sprinkled throughout the story and exploration.
Wondering if the exploration is limited to just Konoha village. The video makes it seem as if selecting a mission just kicks you into a fighting arena. Let's hope they get their "zelda" on in time to crap all over broken bond. :p

Again with the button exclusion thing! In addition to the existing button presses, motion control could add :

1) Reaction dodges for players who aren't great at button control but have do react to a threat with an arm jerk.
2) Weight shifting to add close-quarter dodging or block-circumvention (as Arwin points out, probably needs a more sophisticated animation engine than most games have)
3) Optional motion controlled motion, with tilt forward/back for duck, rise, and a flick for little jumps
4) Camera adjustment - not really a thing for fighter games, but in this game with it's exploration, it'd be a nice addition.

1 and 4 could be done in addition to other control schemes. How would you do 2 or 3? These aren't things that translate well to buttons. What you guys are talking about is waggle. As in, 'add motion-sensing because it's there, not because gameplay is designed around it'. As in exactly what people complain about in bad Wii ports.

If you want to add motion-sensitivity, fine. Design the game around it, though. If your game works perfectly fine without the feature, then don't do it!

Wondering if the exploration is limited to just Konoha village. The video makes it seem as if selecting a mission just kicks you into a fighting arena. Let's hope they get their "zelda" on in time to crap all over broken bond. :p

Well, a full-sized Konoha village would be great, but I doubt we're getting that. I just hope that's what missions are: excuses to kick you into the very nice fighting engine. Rather than 'here, do a couple of Fedex quests'.

If you want to add motion-sensitivity, fine. Design the game around it, though. If your game works perfectly fine without the feature, then don't do it!
Yes, I suppose that's true. What we want is for Naruto to be designed to use motion controls to add to the experience, rather than to be built around standard controls with less options and then get told adding motion controls would be useless ;)

So let's return to the original asertion - motion control is useless. Do you still think that there is nothing whatsoever that motion-control could bring to the Naruto game if the Naruto game was designed to capitalise on sixaxis?

So let's return to the original asertion - motion control is useless. Do you still think that there is nothing whatsoever that motion-control could bring to the Naruto game if the Naruto game was designed to capitalise on sixaxis?

I don't think it's useless, in general. It can do okay, like in Folklore, or really well, like Warhawk. It can be superfluous, like the reloading in GTA4/Army of Two. I haven't played SOCOM to be able to tell how it'll work for the leaning, though it is a novel approach.

I think that for the game as presented in the demo, it doesn't bring anything worthwhile. While the adventure part may even be nice, I actually doubt that they'd pull that sort of bait and switch as to make the adventure the focus, rather than the fighting.

But we're going back to the drawing board, right? Then what is this new Naruto game? Still a fighting game with adventure trappings? I'm not sure if it'd work; but to be perfectly frank, I wouldn't make a Naruto game to begin with (and yet UNS did attract my interest) so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It may, I just personally am not sure how.

New video ! Fight between the 3 great ninjas: Tsunade, Orochimaru and Jiraiya:
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/965454/naruto-ps3-project/videos/naruto_082808_mandafight.html

About adventure mode...
Ultimate Mission Mode will be the primary single-player component of Ultimate Ninja Storm. Unlike previous CyberConnect2 Naruto titles, Ultimate Mission Mode will offer players all of Hidden Leaf Village to freely roam and explore, and the village will also act as the game's main hub for missions and other goodies. The locale is rendered with an impressive amount of detail and -- from the looks of things -- is very open, allowing you to run and jump off almost anything in the environment.

Besides running around and spreading mischief, Naruto will also be able to perform a Cannonball Jutsu technique that propels him through the air at high speeds. You can execute the technique a seemingly infinite number of times, but you'll have to wait for Naruto's Chakra gauge to recharge in-between uses. This Jutsu will be extremely useful when trying to reach higher areas or covering long distances in a short period of time. Naruto can also throw shurikens at any time, though this, apparently, is more for fun and will have less practical uses then the cannonball technique.

Talking to residents of the Hidden Leaf Village will reveal new missions, give you access to shops and unlock other sorts of content. During the demonstration, I watched as Naruto talked to a food stall worker about (you guessed it) ramen, which unlocked a mission that could be played at any time during Ultimate Mission Mode. The nice thing about these missions is that you'll be able to play them however many times you want, giving you the opportunity to refine your score. Missions are organized by difficulty and a special category is assigned to story-related missions, which are often punctuated by dialogue and cutscenes.

First Naruto review is out in Portugal:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13339654&postcount=126

First review of the game (EG Portugal):

http://www.eurogamer.pt/article.php?article_id=265095

8/10; 9/10 if you're a Naruto fan.

They have lots of praise for the game, lack of online affects the score a bit. Visuals are outstanding, soundtrack is not from the show, it was composed for the game but is heavily inspired by the Naruto anime and is fantastic.

Loads of minigames it seems, just like previous CC2 Naruto games. Release date can't some soon enough.

Very nice Naruto UNS trailer here (The best to date):
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/28/naruto-ultimate-ninja-storm-hits-next-week-only-on-ps3/

I’m sure some of you that have seen our trailers for the game have thought “I bet this is just a pre-rendered movie” – but it’s not! Everything from all of our trailers is 100% real-time footage from the game running on PLAYSTATION 3 hardware that you will all be able to experience when the game is released next week.

They have announced free DLC for the game. The developer also answered some of the user comments:

Thank you for the positive response to the demo! Please keep in mind that the demo was released months before the full game was finished, so there will be even more polish in the retail product, taking into account a lot of the feedback we received from users.

We do not have any plans to enable online play via a patch at this time, but it’s a feature we understand is important to a lot of our fans. We will listen closely to all your feedback on the game when it is released, so please let us know what you think.

I am happy to hear such a strong response to our plans for free downloadable content. We will actually be announcing more about our plans for this content tomorrow (dates, characters), so keep an eye out for it!

I really cannot wait for this game. i've spent hours on the demo.

I have the game pre-ordered, just a bit annoyed that there is no collectors edition in the UK, Once I saw it, i wanted it.

Still it's good to hear about the free DLC, really hope they patch online support- but I doubt it'll happen. trophies would be nice too.

I fear this game will get lost in the rush of Holiday releases, unless significant ad dollars are put behind it. I was really looking forward to it, and didn't even realize it was coming out next week! Completely throws off my entire Holiday gaming budget. I thought I had every angle figured out. Damnit. :cry:

I agree with the timing issue.

I am hoping other guys will pick it up later so that I can get a sequel. I still read Naruto every now and then. Can't wait to try the newer techniques in the manga.

I fear this game will get lost in the rush of Holiday releases, unless significant ad dollars are put behind it. I was really looking forward to it, and didn't even realize it was coming out next week! Completely throws off my entire Holiday gaming budget. I thought I had every angle figured out. Damnit. :cry:

I don't know if this will target the usual gamer demographic, though. If you're a little Naruto fan with a PS3 you've probably already put this on your xmas list. Anyone watch this cartoon on TV or buy US Shonen Jump? Any idea if there are ads for either there? JP doesn't have the cavalcade of huge games coming, that I can tell, especially for PS3, so it's probably a lot more visible there. I bet their Shonen Jump also isn't shy about pimping this game.

Yes, this targets an existing fanbase in the main, and they aren't likely to be swayed far for other games, at least not the serious fans.

Well sure, but every game is likely to be losing some sales thanks to the crazy competition among top-tier products at the moment!

There are loads of games coming. As a big Naruto fan though since I saw the first trailer this was on my list. On playiing the Qore demo it was day 1 regardless of anything else coming.

Fortunately it's been pretty slow for me the past few months so I've had time to save for most of the games I want :D

Back