Wii and Component Cables

Ugh...I didn't realize that the only cables that Wii came with are composite!

I will certainly be getting at least s-video...but is there any advantage to getting component cables for Wii? I'm reading conflicting things about component allowing or not allowing 480p.

Anyone with experience with s-video vs. component cables for Wii?

I got mine from the same place as well. I THINK it made the picture a bit sharper but at that price, it doesn't matter to me that much.

Shouldn't be surprised that component wasn't included - they never are.

I was shocked that in this day and age the Wii came only with a composite cable. I was expecting one of those hybrid composite/component cables like with the x360. I don't have the component cable yet but the Wii does support 480p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't be surprised that component wasn't included - they never are.

Well hell, I was thinking at least s-video now-a-days would come if not in addition to composite, along with it.

Hell, why composite? Why doesn't Nintendo pull out all the stops and go with one of these?

d3cf_1.JPG

Ah...I remember those fondly...

Yeah, same problem here...of course I could just use the composite cable for a couple days and wait for the component...but...I just want to be done with it.
My wife just informed me that we're going to make do with the composite cable for a few days and we'll be ordering the cheap one online next week. :(

Women...they just don't get priorities.

My wife just informed me that we're going to make do with the composite cable for a few days and we'll be ordering the cheap one online next week. :(

Women...they just don't get priorities.

I don't know Dig...

If you have an HDTV those cables are a must. Using composite cables made my eyes bleed. Running 480p widescreen via the component cables really makes a difference.

Something tells me that you could get away with just going down to the store and picking a set up. It is Christmas after all...

Wax on.... Wax off. Wax on........... Wax off. :p

Got any other previous gen consoles such as Xbox to demonstrate the picture quality differences? :)

Wax on.... Wax off. Wax on........... Wax off. :p

Got any other previous gen consoles such as Xbox to demonstrate the picture quality differences? :)
I had my Xbox hooked up though composite, s-video and component at different stages. The S-video step-up was minor, however the component cable made a huge difference there, as well.

Most noticable for me was the colour differences. You could see a lot of areas where there were colour-bleeding outside of objects that disappeared. The best example I can think of was the cars in PGR2 - my yellow Enzo went from being a gaudy yellow, almost a primary colour, to a darker, more "exotic" colour that you see on the real cars. Definitely worth it.

The sad part is MS removed the Xbox component cable from the PAL market due the stupid HD resolution standard discussions, and the fact that they weren't compatible with all TV's over here. Tragic, but eh, it's a global marketplace, so Lik Sang helped me out there.

Another comparison for Xbox is at http://users.bigpond.net.au/paulgun/xbox/video/

2nd edit: another for 360 in SD at http://www.cnet.com.au/games/hardware/0,239029706,240060560-1,00.htm

S-video is a huge step up from composite. S-video and component seemed similar in 480i to me on the PS2. S-video is technically a component signal. The major differences between s-video and component are that component is capable of progressive scan and HD resolutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Xbox hooked up though composite, s-video and component at different stages. The S-video step-up was minor, however the component cable made a huge difference there, as well.

Most noticable for me was the colour differences. You could see a lot of areas where there were colour-bleeding outside of objects that disappeared. The best example I can think of was the cars in PGR2 - my yellow Enzo went from being a gaudy yellow, almost a primary colour, to a darker, more "exotic" colour that you see on the real cars. Definitely worth it.

The sad part is MS removed the Xbox component cable from the PAL market due the stupid HD resolution standard discussions, and the fact that they weren't compatible with all TV's over here. Tragic, but eh, it's a global marketplace, so Lik Sang helped me out there.

Another comparison for Xbox is at http://users.bigpond.net.au/paulgun/xbox/video/

2nd edit: another for 360 in SD at http://www.cnet.com.au/games/hardware/0,239029706,240060560-1,00.htm

S-Video was a huge step up for me most of the time. I think it also depends on the TV... mine is a shit one and sometimes isn't much of an improvement(I see it more in games like Transformers and Resident Evil 4 than XenoSaga episode 1, for instance. Movies are always a step up, however.).

It's a 42" plasma and I KNOW it'll make a big difference, it's explaining it to my wife that is the difficult bit. :???:

You could tell her your eyes may bleed from the color bleeding. Or you could just buy it and ask for forgiveness (supposedly it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission but I haven't tried it with my wife so your milage may vary).

Awful kind of you NavNuc, but I have a feeling we'll be running out to CircuitCity on Wenesday to get one. ;)

She never listens to me on stuff like this, I gave up even trying. :LOL:

You guys are complaining about the inclusion of composite cables with the Wii? My $499 80GB PS3 came with the same damn cables. I just bought an HDMI cable for it.

Back