D9P/G94: 9600 GT on 19th of February

... and again ~90% of performance in more shader-limited games like imo UT3, CoD4, NfS.:???:

Could this mean, that the 64SPs are more than MADD+MUL?
Dunno maybe they are more bandwidth limited in the first place rather than shader-limited.
I've always thought the 8800GT is quite often limited by bandwidth, though I still think it's crazy to release a card with slightly more memory bandwidth but half the shader power - even if the SPs are improved (and I don't believe that yet) the 9600GT certainly has plenty of memory bandwidth...

All in all a worthy and comprehensive review, though it was a shame they tested an overclocked part. Also there seems to be a bit of one sided assumption going on in the conclusion:

...people simply feel more comfortable using an NVIDIA card instead of an ATI based one.

7900 users have been so happy with their cards that they really want to stay with an NVIDIA offering.

Im not sure about the accuracy of the first part, and I can't think of many 7900 users who have been altogether enamoured with their product in the long run, as the X1900s have had far better longevity. Still, I'm not sure the intention was to be biased, but it does make me wonder a bit.

All in all a worthy and comprehensive review, though it was a shame they tested an overclocked part. Also there seems to be a bit of one sided assumption going on in the conclusion:

Im not sure about the accuracy of the first part, and I can't think of many 7900 users who have been altogether enamoured with their product in the long run, as the X1900s have had far better longevity. Still, I'm not sure the intention was to be biased, but it does make me wonder a bit.

I think the "more comfortable running nvidia" part comes really from TWIMTBP played program, it gives nVidia so much more "name" among gamers, hc or casual.

The BFG OC card is available @ Best Buy as of yesterday, albeit ridiculously overpriced @ $230. No idea what the clocks are (BFG never lists them on their product boxes and their site has no info on it yet).

The BFG OC card is available @ Best Buy as of yesterday, albeit ridiculously overpriced @ $230. No idea what the clocks are (BFG never lists them on their product boxes and their site has no info on it yet).

From the review:

The standard 9600GT will carry with it a Core/Shader/Memory setup of 650MHz/1650MHz/1800MHz DDR. This overclocked variant from Galaxy carries with it 675MHz/1625MHz/2000MHz DDR.

So where are the reviews... since they are on sale, we should have many reviews online now with sites getting product.

Newegg,com -- no listing.

Are you not sure that the "RETAIL" is not just sites pre-loading the information in anticipation of sales?

So where are the reviews... since they are on sale, we should have many reviews online now with sites getting product.

Are you not sure that the "RETAIL" is not just sites pre-loading the information in anticipation of sales?

There are no reviews so far because OFFICIALLY there is no GF9600GT. The launch date is tommorow (according to sources).

Maybe your right. It just seemed so quiet on the announcement front and it seemed that there have been a few articles that the 9600 was going to be late.

Tomorrow will tell.

The comments that the source "TheInquirer" is basically a rumour site is right, however, it seems to me that any site saying there is a delay on the eve of the original release date, would stretch their credibility as a rumors site a tad.

Not a great rumour the night before as it says you are totally out of it talking to your sources so close. Either you are receiving product on Monday for sale on Tuesday or not.

Online is not retail. Retail = brick and mortar shop.

Best Buy has them on sale right now in-store.

Sorry , don't have a Best Buy in my city.

I did check their online site and only washing machines showed up for 9600gt, So I guess their online is not at same level as their bricks an mortar.

So tomorrow we should see reviews since the product is available 1 day early.

The 9600 GT doesn't exist on any of the AIB partner sites nor NV's own, so not being listed on Best Buy's site is no surprise.

I was in Best Buy yesterday, they had three 9600 GTs from BFG (OC 512 edition) on the shelf. Googling "best buy 9600 gt" turns up plenty of threads on the subject across the net.

The 9600 GT doesn't exist on any of the AIB partner sites nor NV's own, so not being listed on Best Buy's site is no surprise.

I was in Best Buy yesterday, they had three 9600 GTs from BFG (OC 512 edition) on the shelf. Googling "best buy 9600 gt" turns up plenty of threads on the subject across the net.

I bought mine from there today. Shame my Dell wont take a C2D, the P4HT 3.0 proc is holding it back badly. It has a 915 based chipset. Pd are even out of the question for this thing.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20080219PD213.html

Nvidia is planning to launch its first GeForce 9 series graphics chip, the GeForce 9600 GT (G94), for the mid-range market on February 21, according to sources at graphics card makers.

The 9600 GT adopts a 65nm process and is manufactured by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). The GPU sees an increase in processing units, 64, and memory bus width, 256-bit, over previous 8600 GTS cards, 32 and 128-bit. The GPU's performance should see an increase of over 40% compared to the 8600 GTS, said the sources.

The new GPU also introduces Dual-Streaming Decode technology which allows two high-definition image decoding processes to be performed at the same time and provides picture in picture (PIP) functionality.

GeForce 9600 GT graphics cards will be priced at around US$169-189, with GeForce 8600 GTS pricing expected to be adjusted to the US$139-149 range, revealed the sources.

However, some graphics card makers are expected to delay their GeForce 9600 shipments by 2-3 weeks due the recent discovery of a bug in the initial 9600 chips relating to power supply. Although Nvidia has already corrected the issue, makers will still need time to rework on their designs.

Back