Need advice on 1080P sets. Finally ready to upgrade.

jetrii

Newcomer
I've saved enough to finally dump my tiny 720P in favor of a larger 1080P set. :smile: Could someone please recommend a good 42"+ 1080P LCD for under $1,700? Ideally, I would like a TV that is sold at Best Buy so I can use my employee discount.

For once, I won't let my cheap side overpower me.:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had a look at the Sharp Aquos line? The 42" 1080p is above your $1700 limit though (at Best Buy).

Have you had a look at the Sharp Aquos line? The 42" 1080p is above your $1700 limit though (at Best Buy).

I was looking at a few TVs from Sharp, but they are pretty expensive. I'll check how much that model costs with my discount though. Thanks for the suggestion.

*I think* you're pretty much paying for the higher "static" contrast ratio at that point, but I'm not too sure how the video processors compare - you should check video quality in-store. :p

Hmmm, I really can't decide... After reading a few (well, more than a few...) reviews, I have been brainwashed into thinking I need to spend 2.5K on a TV... I guess I'll have to settle for a decent TV. Not willing to spend more than 1,800.

Samsung F series

they are the successor to the M series

LE40F87 (or LE46, LE52 etc etc)

They say these TV's have the best blacks in the market. I have the M series

I got my Aquos 46" from Dell at $1700 before tax ($1900 now), free shipping. But that was shortly after Black Friday (when the 46" was $1200 at CC). They still have the 42" Aquos for $1500.

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at some of the TVs suggested here but I think I've decided. I'm going with a 52" Sharp LC-52D64U. I simply can't pass it up at the price.

Back