PS3 Owners: Why didn't you buy R&C, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword?

Mainly because good games are coming out faster than I can play them. R&C and Uncharted are in my queue, but my queue is still pretty lengthy so they'll have to wait quite a bit longer. So why did I spend so much money on a console if I'm not going to play its best games anytime soon? Well, the first reason is that it's an incredibly cool piece of technology at a reasonable price for what it does. The second reason is that I don't have any restraint when it comes to buying cool stuff!

I bought R&C and Uncharted, opted out on Heavenly Sword though .. might get it used though. Both are the first games in a LONG time I've actually finished - or well, haven't finished Uncharted yet but I will :)

While we are at that, why don't we have a "360 owners, why haven't you bought PGR4 and Mass Effect" thread?

Anyway, I haven't bought Heavenly Sword mainly because I think it has significant flows in the game design department.

While individually combat, Kai missions, dialog, presentation even QTEs were nothing to complain about, the game felt much less than sum of its parts.

Things like checkpointing before two cutscenes, and loading just (politely speaking) poor design IMO.

Uncharted on the other hand is one of my favorite games this gen along with Resistance, R&C, R6:Vegas, Oblivion (and soon to be member Mass Effect) but still I'm not sure it's worth $60 bucks.

As fun as it was, it has the least replay value. They should have added "pirtate hunt" like co-op or infinite-enemy mode or something.
(That said, I don't regret my purchase (for now).)

I'm a PS3-only gamer (and bought all three games), but I don't find the achievement thing at all silly.

While gamerscore is probably smart move businesswise, achievement-whoreness is still childish and silly. Of course a little friendly competition should be healthy but it's not even about skill most of the time. I just don't get it I guess.

If those are common price discrepancies, I'm not surprised some titles are selling less! How do those prices compare with XB360 titles, where games are bought quite readily? RRP's as listed on Play are equal to or less than 3rd party titles, so in this case it would seem the stores are hiking up the price, but we'd need confirmation on that. If true, that's bad for Sony.

X360 counterparts are most of the time around the same price, or maybe 1-2 euro's cheaper. I haven't seen any X360 exclusive anywhere near the price tag of Uncharted here though.
PC counterparts can be up to 20 euro's cheaper (I saw CoD4 for 45 euro's somewhere).

On the other hand, I did see a toystore (Bart Smit) here which had older PS3 games for 30 and 40 euro's already.

Quite honestly, while these are certainly good games, owning all three consoles makes things a bit harder. Currently I am still into Mass Effect & Mario Galaxy. And I more looking forward to playing Orange Box, COD4 or Assassins Creed than the three PS3 games.

While we are at that, why don't we have a "360 owners, why haven't you bought PGR4 and Mass Effect" thread?

While gamerscore is probably smart move businesswise, achievement-whoreness is still childish and silly. Of course a little friendly competition should be healthy but it's not even about skill most of the time. I just don't get it I guess.

Well Mass Effect has sold over a million already so it's not really that bad. PGR 4 is a pity and I haven't bought it yet, I really don't have any good reasons for not buying it, and I probably will at some point, that game definately deserves better sales.

Gamerscore is more than just whoreness... It's really nice to get achievement points that carry over from the game, it's hard to describe exactly why it's so important, but it is. Sony should copy that feature yesterday, collecting stuff feels pointless without it, ofcourse being able to compare your gamercard to others and their achievements is big part of it too. I love that system.

... achievement-whoreness is still childish and silly.

I'm no achievement whore, but frankly I don't get it when gamers say it's childish. Unless of course all games are childish...

Achievements are a game too. Simple as that.

Gamerscore is more than just whoreness... It's really nice to get achievement points that carry over from the game, it's hard to describe exactly why it's so important, but it is. Sony should copy that feature yesterday, collecting stuff feels pointless without it, ofcourse being able to compare your gamercard to others and their achievements is big part of it too. I love that system.

Well, I believe something like that was going to be in Home. If I remember correctly there was going to be a room filled with achievement awards.
But that will be when Home will be released, which isn't going to be anytime soon probably.

I may sound dumb but how do achievements work? I have no freaking idea. I just hear people mentioning it

ha thats better indeed. Thanks again :)

Very good feature. I d like to see the implementation of it in Home

I hope this isnt a troll attempt?

Please read the first post and review the November NPD thread for the motivation for this thread.

Go ahead, but I think you will find the question here is a little more pointed: why aren't the best PS3 games selling well? ME is selling well, but that aside there is no rule that says every good game will sell well. In fact, we know some great games bomb. Typically this is due to a number of factors (new IP, lack of coverage and marketing, misguided demo, consumers have a difficult time identifying, glut in the genre, overshadowed by other releases, smallish consumer base, and so forth).

The general arguement from Sony supporters has been that the PS3 is trending closely to 360 first year sales; yet even if this is the case the software sales end of the stick is showing a quite distinctive, and sad, trend. PS3 games aren't selling well. For 12 months the theme has, "Wait until the big games comes". That was initially Heavenly Sword and Lair. Then it was R&C. And now Uncharted.

These are exclusive titles that differentiate the platform. They were highly anticipated, given extensive exposure at trade shows and magazine exclusives, and have in 3 of the 4 cases reviewed favorably. R&C and Uncharted, indeed, are considered to be among the best titles on the market and do an honest job of demonstrating many of the PS3 sales points.

And they aren't selling.

We all expect some titles to go overlooked and underappreciated. It is the way of the industry. Case in point: Metroid Prime 3 was off to a solid, but not extraordinary start. MS saw Viva Pinata and PGR4 have poor initial sales. But the contrast is quite different as well as both Nintendo and Microsoft also have exclusive titles that are selling extremely well (Wii Play, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Gears of War, etc).

Sony essentially has 1 great selling exclusive title: Resistance. Motorstorm (one of my favorite next gen games btw) has benefited from being a packin and promotions and hasn't bombed (Sony was wise to acquire Evolution Studios), but due to a number of market conditions didn't quite make the splash it would if released today. Laid bombed on all fronts. Heavenly Sword reviewed favorably but has had sluggish sales (at least in NA). Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction is probably the best game on the platform and makes great use of the PS3... and is overlooked. Uncharted, a good game with out of this world technical excellence, has also failed to discover a worthy audiance. Unreal Tournament 3 is another example of a very good game that hasn't sold well.

Exclusively differentiate your platform. Especially when the competition more often than not has the better multiplatform titles. And Sony, to their credit, has actually delivered a number of really great exclusive titles.

But they don't seem to connect with consumers.

So the question is why so many good PS3 exclusive titles are being ignored by PS3 owners. In general it isn't 3rd party software on the PS3 drawing away sales (as 3rd party software isn't fairing significantly better) and Blu-ray disk sales are significantly large either.

The replies in this thread are helpful... I hope to sift through them later and tabulate them. One thing people aren't saying is, "I am waiting for MGS4/FF/GT/KZ2/etc" which makes sense based on my previous points (why ignore a good game like Gears just because you want Halo 3 a year later?) In general though most here ARE buying these games... which doesn't do much to tell us why, in general, are PS3 owners are not following this trend.

I don't think there is a single answer, but the poor sales showing for PS3 exclusives is interesting... and quite puzzling. And it raises the question: what titles will compel PS3 owners to adopt software at a higher rate and what titles will compel platform adoption?

I think everyone would admit the various sales trends on the Wii, PS3, and 360 are quite interesting as their consumer bases seem to be following very different patterns. The 360 and Wii are pretty easy to understand in most cases... the PS3 is just confusing.

And the user feedback, betan, actually further solidifies this point. Most of you picked up 2 (or even 3) of these titles. Thus there is a noticable disparity between the hardcore forumite and the general consumer. I am sure Vyzez could contribute one of his powerful social analylitical bombs that explains the issue quite well...

And the user feedback, betan, actually further solidifies this point. Most of you picked up 2 (or even 3) of these titles. Thus there is a noticable disparity between the hardcore forumite and the general consumer. I am sure Vyzez could contribute one of his powerful social analylitical bombs that explains the issue quite well...
I would tend to believe from this evidence that the PS3 is selling more to the mainstream as a Blu Ray movie player than the population here (and other gaming boards) want to believe.

that; and/or these games certainly were not as emotionally compelling as CoD4 or Assassins Creed.

UK weekly charts show Uncharted climbing 10 places up and overtaking Call of Duty. It may only be a matter of priorities and the game may pick up some steam in the US in december, too.

That may be true. There has been a flood of top quality games across all systems, and if people are finishing/buying other titles, Uncharted may just be 'one to get' rather than forgotten.

Finally a post hopefully not over my head.

My speculation is that the majority of PS3 owners are also 360 owners and with the recent onslaught of incredible games such as Halo3 , Bioshock, and COD4, most PS3 owners are still busy finishing up there 360 games.

My Guessitmate PS3 owner demographic

Guy that likes all things Jap and especially JRPG, post in all forums hyping a JRPG and anything from a Jap developer.
Will probably only own a PS3 and maybe a Wii (Smallest demographic but loudest) - Didn't buy R&C or Uncharted, because it's not jap may have purchased Heavenly Sword

New TV guy that just bought his brand new HD TV and either had the PS3 packaged with his TV or decided to buy a PS3 for Blu Ray and some general gaming. - Doesn't even know these games exist but the 300 Blu Ray was awesome

Hard Core gamer, who has 360, PS3 and Wii if he can get his hands on one. (Still too busy playing COD4, just coming off from Halo3. Was going to purchase R&C or Uncharted, but decided to go with Mass Effect instead.

Back