PS3 Owners: Why didn't you buy R&C, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword?

I bought R&C.

I was not impressed with Heavenly Sword at all. Life is too short for mediocre games.

Uncharted I may buy when it's cheaper, but nothing about this game makes me want to run out and buy it right now.

40 posts and no insight on Joshua's original question.

From the outside looking in, as mentioned the only things I can think of are:

- Price disparity (if that really is the case)
- Lack of multiplayer
- Lack of knowledge about the games themselves
- The games only appeal to diehard Sony fans, and not the general public

This is all speculation of course. I am very intrigued on the topic though. If all 3 of these games get launched on the 360 at this point, I think all 3 are bonafide Million sellers before the year is out.

Why have you not purchased Uncharted? Ratchet & Clank? Heavenly Sword?

The quick answer? Because both of my PS3's were bought to be movie players.

The longer answer? I have played all three games, just the demo for HS and R&C, and I got Uncharted free with a PS3. I don't think anyone will dispute the high technical merit of these three games, but going by gameplay alone it breaks down like this for me:

HS: This may sound ridiculous, but I can't play this kind of a game without the ability to jump. Plus, I always felt disconnected from my character. In God Of War I felt like the character was an extension of me. In HS, I felt more like a director, suggesting what should happen and waiting to see how she would respond. I hope that they just copy the God Of War formula for part two, then this game could be exceptional.

R&C: Fun for a bit, but just not for me. At the risk of offending 95% of this forum, it just seems like a kids game to me.

Uncharted: I'm 49% of the way thru this one. It's a good game and fun to play. The problem as always for me is that I keep comparing it to Tomb Raider Legend which to me is better (gameplay wise, definitely not visually!!). Tomb Raider had a better story, tons of varied locals, better puzzles, and was less of a run and gun type game than Uncharted.

Two more points to mention. If you have a 360 as well as a PS3, then the above games get beat out because the 360 just has so many good games available for it. So of the 11 million or so PS3 owners out there, how many don't have a 360? They will be the best candidates to buy the above games, the rest are probably buried in the 360's amazing catalog of games this year.

The last point, which will also seem ridiculous to many, is that I honestly find it hard to play games that don't offer achievements. Yup, sounds crazy, but while playing Uncharted it would sometimes pop up rewards or unlocks for doing certain things, which to me seemed so pointless compared to the global achievements system on 360 games. I admit I get a perverse pleasure whenever that achievements dialog pops up while I'm playing a 360 game. I know its part of a global system and ends up on my gamercard, which is awesome. It's hard to play games without that now. Silly? Perhaps, but hey thats how I feel about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is so much more to R&C than there is in the demo. i've only played the first R&C game and i've never played another one until FToD, and its right up there with my favorite PS3 games.

anyway, i bought all 3 but i ended up selling HS. while it was a great experience (great gameplay and story) it was a little short and offered little replay value. the other two i still own and i plan on keeping them.

Joker, there are probably 6 million PS3s out there altogether, nowehere near 11 million. It's only around 2.6-2.7 million in the US, which still doesn't fully explain the 150-200k sales of these games.

You have two, by the way? :O

its pretty obvious that due to the lack of multiplayer, that a game that lasts ~10 hours but doesnt offer much incentive for playing improvements (eg racing games where u want to better your best time on a track)
is more suited for a rental.
uncharted should of done like i suggested even if it was just some half-ass multiplayer mode ( even if it ddnt fit in with the story ), sales would of been a lot higher.

i believe the 2 biggest sellers on the ps3 + xb360 (4 games) all have multiplayer

The quick answer? Because both of my PS3's were bought to be movie players.

The longer answer? I have played all three games, just the demo for HS and R&C, and I got Uncharted free with a PS3. I don't think anyone will dispute the high technical merit of these three games, but going by gameplay alone it breaks down like this for me:

HS: This may sound ridiculous, but I can't play this kind of a game without the ability to jump. Plus, I always felt disconnected from my character. In God Of War I felt like the character was an extension of me. In HS, I felt more like a director, suggesting what should happen and waiting to see how she would respond. I hope that they just copy the God Of War formula for part two, then this game could be exceptional.

R&C: Fun for a bit, but just not for me. At the risk of offending 95% of this forum, it just seems like a kids game to me.

Uncharted: I'm 49% of the way thru this one. It's a good game and fun to play. The problem as always for me is that I keep comparing it to Tomb Raider Legend which to me is better (gameplay wise, definitely not visually!!). Tomb Raider had a better story, tons of varied locals, better puzzles, and was less of a run and gun type game than Uncharted.

Two more points to mention. If you have a 360 as well as a PS3, then the above games get beat out because the 360 just has so many good games available for it. So of the 11 million or so PS3 owners out there, how many don't have a 360? They will be the best candidates to buy the above games, the rest are probably buried in the 360's amazing catalog of games this year.

The last point, which will also seem ridiculous to many, is that I honestly find it hard to play games that don't offer achievements. Yup, sounds crazy, but while playing Uncharted it would sometimes pop up rewards or unlocks for doing certain things, which to me seemed so pointless compared to the global achievements system on 360 games. I admit I get a perverse pleasure whenever that achievements dialog pops up while I'm playing a 360 game. I know its part of a global system and ends up on my gamercard, which is awesome. It's hard to play games without that now. Silly? Perhaps, but hey thats how I feel about it.

I'm a PS3-only gamer (and bought all three games), but I don't find the achievement thing at all silly. Achievements, the gamercard, and gamerscore are all about driving network effects for the XBox 360 platform, and I am frankly astonished that Sony isn't doing anything along the same lines yet. *Lots* of people have made similar comments about the psychological importance of achievements on the 360. It really does tie the whole platform experience together, and Sony has nothing like it.

I can't even see what games my friends on PSN have been playing, to know who I can invite to play what game. Unless they are logged in and I can catch them playing something, there's no information there to be had, at all.

Oh.. and of course, there is no such thing as a PSN invite. Some games have invite functions, but they are a small drop in the bucket next to the collection of games now out for PS3.

Why is Sony getting all of this so wrong? Why are they putting all their eggs into the Home basket, which will require PS3 owners to spend their time in a time-consuming virtual environment in order to see any of this community stuff? This stuff needs to be brought into the XMB in-game, so that the experience is more seamless.

Sony isn't even talking about this stuff. I can give them some latitude, since they didn't have the hardware (upgradeable firmware, local storage) on PS2 to develop anything in this regard and Microsoft had the entire XBox lifespan to get their stuff developed, but it's been a year now, and the most exciting recent features in the PS3 firmware are themes and the RSS infoboard.

XBox Live is a huge network-effects driver for the 360, and I can't imagine how Sony isn't smart enough to be a fast follower here, and step up their game. Or at least, tell us that they have a clue about it and they are working on it.

Until they can get a community anywhere near as vital and engaging as on the 360, they're going to have problems with all multiplatform games.

I think achievements probably have quite an effect on which version of a multi platform title people buy if they have both platforms. I don't have a PS3 but I know I find myself buying the 360 version of games that are available on the PC because of the achievements, even though I have a pretty good PC and the games would look better on the PC.

I got all 3. Both Uncharted and R&C took me about 10 hours to through and have a lot of replay value. Heavenly sword at 6 hours is way to short and has no replay value.

The reasons they are not selling is IMO because there is very little hype around these games. I rarely see any ads for them or even for PS3. Mayby they are afraid of being called arrogant if the games do not live up to the hype. The games are also more expensive then other PS3 games and there are a lot of good 3rd party games. 2 of them are also new IP's. Think they need to release longer demo's to give a better impression. The demo's for all 3 took 10 minutes to play through. Has Sony released any platinum games for PS3?

Joker, there are probably 6 million PS3s out there altogether, nowehere near 11 million. It's only around 2.6-2.7 million in the US, which still doesn't fully explain the 150-200k sales of these games.

D'oh, my bad, I thought the numbers were higher than that. I still contend that a large number of PS3 owners are using it mostly like me as a movie player. There's five of us at work that have a PS3, four of us got it for movies. The fifth guy got it for games and ironically he hasn't bought any of the above three games as well.

I'll go out on a limb here, but I think the above three games are perceived as being very American and hence will have a limited audience with PS3 owners. Knowing what little I know of the European audience, I just can't imagine that Uncharted will be hugely popular there given its frequent run and gun type gameplay. It oddly reminded me more of Gears Of War than it did of Tomb Raider which is not what I expected. It's not really a shooter, but it has enough shooter elements in it that I think will alienate a chunk of the European audience. At least that's my guess given the general distaste of shooters that I detect amongst the European posters here.

I do think that Uncharted should see regular sales over a longer period of time than typical titles do because it will be the technical showpiece for that system for some time.

You have two, by the way? :O

Yup, one in the tv room, one in the bedroom. Not my fault though, ever other day someone around here has a buy one get one free sale. How can a blu-ray movie addict reist? :)

well i've mostly been playing PS2 games i missed in the time between my PS2 braking and getting a PS3. i got Heavenly Sword and Resistance with the system.out of Uncharted and R&C i'll probably get Uncharted when it goes budget. R&C and Jak and Daxter don't really appeal to me. but from playing resistance and the uncharted demo i'm apreciating the developers. i'm glad they are doing adult orientated games aswell as family games.

It's a matter of priority for me. There are just too many fantastic games and these are on my list but not in the top 5 or so. I am still enjoying:

1. Halo 3
2. COD4

and have yet to get:

3. ME
4. Orange Box (360)
5. AC
6. HS
7. Uncharted
8. R&C

Just a matter of getting to them.

I dont think europeans not liking shooters is the problem. Resistance has sold very well and COD 4 is very popular right now.

Uncharted is a lot more like Gears than Tomb Raider. It basicly Gears meets Prince of Persia.

Personally something strange has happend for me this generation, I have not really completed a game since Grimfandango on the PC, yes I played alot of multiplayer stuff and Football Manager games etc, but those you do not finish basically :)

This generation I have completed (SP) CoD4, Unchartered and Heavenly Sword.
I usually do not replay a game after completing it, well Bruce Lee on C64 was different.

I have not bought R&C since I didnt find the demo fun and I am going away for the holidays so wont need extra games to play at that time.

As for PS3 exclusives, I actually feel like getting Lair, I just do not belive it is as bad as people say and as sixaxsis controls go, I actually tought sixaxis control was missing from the jetski levels in Unchartered.

I'll go out on a limb here, but I think the above three games are perceived as being very American and hence will have a limited audience with PS3 owners. Knowing what little I know of the European audience, I just can't imagine that Uncharted will be hugely popular there given its frequent run and gun type gameplay. It oddly reminded me more of Gears Of War than it did of Tomb Raider which is not what I expected. It's not really a shooter, but it has enough shooter elements in it that I think will alienate a chunk of the European audience. At least that's my guess given the general distaste of shooters that I detect amongst the European posters here.

Shooters and games that have violence sell well in Europe too, don't make so far reaching assumptions based on this one board alone. I do agree with most of what you have written in this thread though, especially the part about achievements and jump button :smile:

I have all 3 of those games. And it's not like PS3 owners are not buying games. The PS3 versions of CoD4 and AC are very close to 1 million sold worldwide making it 4 games reaching the 1 million mark.

The numbers for Heavenly Sword looks decent so far at 620ks sold. It didn't exactly break news out the gate but it has been selling steady much of the time. The notion of PS3 owners seems to be, "buy CoD4 and AC first, then get Uncharted and R&C later". I'm more curious to see how the sales for the 3 PS3 games sells by March then to point fingers at them right now.

Uncharted, HS and R&C are nowhere close to the selling caliber like MGS4, GT5 and FFXIII.

Back