OMG! TEchTv/Screensavers should be Shot!

They had a Show talking about the 3dmark03 Driver cheats. Get this...
On the show when you were talking about cheating drivers, you only mentioned ATI had code in their drivers optimized for 3dMArk. YOu then went on to show screenshots of improperly rendered sections of the benchmark which didnt come from an ATI card but rather from your beloved sponsors Nvidias card.

ATI's driver showed a marginal 1.5-2.5% increase which can be attributed to new drivers like in the past, but nvidias 25-30% gains and you have no mention of it?

Way to keep the sponsors happy I guess???
Anyway, I completely agree with the first post, the story, as presented by Leo and Pat, completely mis-represented the facts. Futuremark issued the patch and driver audit in response to Nvidia's horrendous cheating in 3Dmark2003, boosting their scores by upto 25%.

I can't imagine a single ATI owner not being just horrified by the way this story was presented on the show. ATI stood up and said essentially that they've done something wrong and they'll fix it. Nvidia, on the other hand, have denied and accused everyone but themselves for their own misdealings.

I'd personally like Pat and Leo to clarify this story at the head of the show on Wednesday. I doubt this will happen, but I certainly think ATI, as a company, deserve to have the facts presently correctly.
According to Viewers they only mentioned ATi as Cheating. Made no referense to Nvidia Then showed Screenshots of NVIDIAS driver hacked IQ!!!..

If i where ATi I would outright Threaten a Lawsuit!!!!! :mad:

Here is the origional info

http://cgi.techtv.com/messageboards...rd_id=17&topic_id=3&thread_id=1108829

The more I hear peoples on tv, on internet or in a computer store, the more I'm amazed at how many peoples don't know a thing about the industry, or doesn't even do research before saying something.

I actually feel some pity for someone who go to buy a computer, or some part, when that person is not familiar with computer. Which is what? Like 80% of the peoples who buy a computer? Just thinking at how many peoples get screwed, it's mind boggling!

And there are some peoples that think they know, because they watch a show talking about it. How are they suppose to know that the info on the show was bs?

I really hope ATI will do something, but I think the chance are slim to none. Anyway, even if they do something, it's too late. Maybe the person will not hear about the retraction and will still think that it is a good info.

This is getting worst by the day!

(please excuse the spelling, still working on my english)

I mentioned this in a thread here two days ago. Infact the second quote you posted is mine.....

I fired off a polite email to the presenter and the producers asking them to rectify the mistake. No reply and I wouldn't hold your breath getting one either.

"The Screensavers LAN party -- sponsored by Nvidia"

Nuff said.

One correction though - they DID mention Nvidia has cheated but more as an aside than a relevant point.

In all fairness they were just reporting the story as written on theregister.co.uk. Obviously they didn't check their facts before broadcasting on the air. The presenters aint the smartest pair when it comes to video cards either, so I wouldn't be too harsh on them.

cellarboy said:
I mentioned this in a thread here two days ago. Infact the second quote you posted is mine.....

s'funny. I saw your post here yesterday. Then I made a reply in a thread over at NVNews (in which HB was participating) where I referenced the TechTV thingie and linked to their message board. Wasn't expecting to find HB post it over here in a new thread. Gues we are living in a 'connected' world after all. :D

cellarboy said:
The presenters aint the smartest pair when it comes to video cards either, so I wouldn't be too harsh on them.

Its not how smart they are, its how much influence they have on the general public. There is no excuse for misleading the viewers and not stating facts, specially if you have any sort of influence over people.

specially if you have any sort of influence over people.

And this is what many people don't grasp. They[certain so-called journalists] do have an influence over people and they realize they have an influence over people and yet mislead. So many times I read posters quote ignorant or misleading statements from reviews, etc..

Years I have read they[certain so-called journalists] are just misinformed and I see the same tactics used against 3dfx as I do against ATI.

What I simply see is nVdias PR working behind the scenes heavily to make them look as good as possible using any tactics -- but legal of course.

IF a reporter or any other presenter of information cannot do their job due to their ignorance then they can't do their job and thus they shouldn't do their job. Ignorance in that -- and likely all -- lines of work is not an excuse.

in that case half of the NY Times reporters should be canned.

Saem said:
IF a reporter or any other presenter of information cannot do their job due to their ignorance then they can't do their job and thus they shouldn't do their job. Ignorance in that -- and likely all -- lines of work is not an excuse.

Fuz said:
cellarboy said:
The presenters aint the smartest pair when it comes to video cards either, so I wouldn't be too harsh on them.

Its not how smart they are, its how much influence they have on the general public. There is no excuse for misleading the viewers and not stating facts, specially if you have any sort of influence over people.

Well when you consider they have a potential viewership of 40,000,000 and only manage to pull in 40,000 subscribers, I'd say they don't have that much influence. However, the majority of the people who watch the show would be influenced by their recommendations as judging by the call in questions the average view aint too bright when it comes to computers.

I'm not defending them. I seem to remember say that I was appaling and 'couldn't beleive what they were saying'. Given I was the one who brought the matter to both this board and Rage3D I'd say I do care what they said. I just don't expect anything to be done about it.

You could try getting a retraction from theregister.co.uk too. After all it was their story that TechTV covered.

Fuz said:
cellarboy said:

However, the majority of the people who watch the show would be influenced by their recommendations as judging by the call in questions the average view aint too bright when it comes to computers.

Am I sensing new slogan material here? "nVidia, the dumb gamer's choice!" (Sorry, it was funny in my head... )

cellarboy said:
I'd actually go with "Nvidia - the way WE think the game should be displayed"

I dunno, I still think "Nvidia - the way you were meant to be played" is the best rewrite of that slogan :)

Nazgul said:
cellarboy said:
I'd actually go with "Nvidia - the way WE think the game should be displayed"

I dunno, I still think "Nvidia - the way you were meant to be played" is the best rewrite of that slogan :)

Yeah, but it's been used here already. These ain't got the impact, but they get some style points for originality at least. ;)

Back