PSP 3.80, Dec. 18th Net Radio and TV Rec.

Oninotsume

Newcomer
According to the Japanese electronics news sight Watch Impress, the PSP will be getting a firmware update to Ver. 3.80 on December 18th.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071212/psp.htm

The firmware update adds the following functions.

1. Direct access to Playstation Spot via Yahoo BB public wireless LAN spots across Japan. Roughly 3, 500 of these spots are currently in operation.

2. The ability to Record TV via the 1-seg TV Tuner (PSP-2000) either directly or by setting up a recording time. The PSP must either be on or in sleep mode to use this funciton, and no other functionality is accessible during the recording session.

3. Internet radio via a wireless LAN.

Pretty cool stuff, and a PSP update also means a PS3 update ;)

According to the Japanese electronics news sight Watch Impress, the PSP will be getting a firmware update to Ver. 3.80 on December 18th.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071212/psp.htm

The firmware update adds the following functions.

1. Direct access to Playstation Spot via Yahoo BB public wireless LAN spots across Japan. Roughly 3, 500 of these spots are currently in operation.

2. The ability to Record TV via the 1-seg TV Tuner (PSP-2000) either directly or by setting up a recording time. The PSP must either be on or in sleep mode to use this funciton, and no other functionality is accessible during the recording session.

3. Internet radio via a wireless LAN.

Neato ! Time to use the free T-Mobile hotspot promotion.

Pretty cool stuff, and a PSP update also means a PS3 update ;)

Nah... only sometimes. I hope you're right though.

bleh. They are getting the good stuff.

Still waiting for the PSP camera too. Why dont they release it abroad as well?

What about other countries out of the UK? Are they going to release it there too?
Skype??
GPS??

The camera has been out in the UK for ages.

We should be getting Skype/videochat in January/February through a joint venture with BT (British Telecom).

March time SKY Broadcasting will allow you to download SKY content to the PSP using the Sky Anywhere service, stuff like Premiership football matches and shows like Lost.

In the first half of the year the GPS add-on will be released in the UK.

2008 should be an excellent year for the PSP.

... only in UK; and perhaps Japan and Korea. In US, PSP is just a standalone gadget. I have free T-Mobile hotspot subscription but I never use it with PSP (ok, solely for RemotePlay).

I want a PSP camera :(

Checked at play.com and it wasnt availablle in store. Also I would love to see the GPS available in my country :(

Is it reasonable to expect wpa2 support for the PSP to be added in a firmware update eventually?

The PS3 wasn't able to connect to networks using wpa2 originally, however support was added in a recent firmware update.

I got the patch and the Internet Radio is awesome!!!

There are 2 radio players actually. Type 1 is for Shoutcast, basically everything that you can listen to in Winamp. Type2 is Icecast.

And finally, PSP Media Manager is free to download. I have it (may be older version), it's robust and pretty straightforward to use... but can be even easier if they try harder.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218332

I hope they at least update the RSS channel and the PSP home page (in the PSP web browser) to announce the news. If not, the PSP marketing managers deserve a pay cut, or something in the organizational structure is hampering communication.

You can play any PS1 game via remote play now. Here is a quick video of Ridge Racer Type 4 I just taped. Albiet I played very badly. Works great!! I'll have a vid of FFVII up shortly

EDIT: Here is GT2. This is such a great update!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If Sony (or anyone for that matter) can figure out a way to do this over the internet I will buy a PSP immediately and never be bored again. Can you imagine playing PS3 games on your PSP through the net? Sure there would be some lag, but it would be more akin to having a WAN than playing some random net game, so latency should be around 20ms (or even less) over a broadband connection as long as you're in the same metro area as your PS3.

If Sony (or anyone for that matter) can figure out a way to do this over the internet I will buy a PSP immediately and never be bored again. Can you imagine playing PS3 games on your PSP through the net? Sure there would be some lag, but it would be more akin to having a WAN than playing some random net game, so latency should be around 20ms (or even less) over a broadband connection as long as you're in the same metro area as your PS3.

It already works like that man! Remote play works over the internet WAN as well as LAN. It's been like that since a few FW patches back.

Latency problems and video compression artifacts are going to be there, even over a decent internet connection though. But for playing slower tactical games or turn bases games it should not be a big issue.

And not all PS3 games support Remote Play. But all PS1 games do. And almost all the XMB features do. Like you can browse pictures, listen to music, watch videos all that are stored on your PS3 at home while you are sitting in your office connected to the internet via Wifi.

Not to mention, you can always have the option to change the quality of the graphics depending on the speed of your connection.

Back