Mayweather vs Hatton! Put your virtual pride!

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
So who's gonna be watching this besides me? Should be a good fight to close out a good year in boxing. I expect the action to be inbetween the Mayweather/DelaHoya fight and Cotto/Mosley fight.

Isn't the whole world minus Mayweathers house wanting Hatton to win? :LOL:

If someone is going to beat Mayweather, it's Hatton, he needs to attack hs body, he'll take a few licks along the way as Mayweather is pure class in the ring, but if Hatton keeps on bashing away at his ribs, he'll not have the stomach for it.

Should be a cracking fight, and I hope Hatton wins, but there's no disgrace losing to the best.

At least Hatton is getting the chance unlike poor Calzaghe who they all dodge.

I think the media made this fight much closer than it is. In terms of the actual matchup, unless Ricky has his best day ever and Floyd has one of his worst nights, Mayweather should be able to win easily.

Speed, defense and counter punching are Floyd's tools and the best counter towards an agressive fighter willing to take shots just to get inside. I expect to see a lot of hit n' run from Floyd. Ricky needs to keep Floyd up against the ropes and try to catch him but that's not easy with his shoulder roll and counter right uppercuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I gave up on boxing when Mike Tyson started chewing on Evander Holyfield's ear.

haha somebody got sent to school! That was a masterpiece performance by Floyd.

Masterpiece? Maybe in the last half, but Hatton put up a great fight in the first half. This was rather clear by how Mayweather acted once it was over, he realized that Hatton was very far from a push over. I would say overall Hatton was much better than I was expecting. If he would have been a bit better at protecting his head when pushing Mayweather to the ropes I think the fight could have gone the other way.

It was a good fight. Hatton took some big hits in the early rounds but kept going at Mayweather. Mayweather showed he was the better boxer but Hatton is one tough guy. If Hatton fought a bit smarter it would've been a much closer match.

Also, the crowd for Hatton was incredible. More like a soccer game than a boxing match.

I didn't see it, but people are telling me the ref was in Mayweathers corner.

An unbiased people won't to confirm or deny?

Most of the reviews I've read here in the UK say that the ref was extremely poor. However, PBF ultimately outclassed Hatton who perhaps made it easier for Mayweather than he should have done.

I didn't see it, but people are telling me the ref was in Mayweathers corner.

An unbiased people won't to confirm or deny?

I can certainly see that view, thankfully the fight did not come down to that or there could have been a lot of controversy.

The ref kept getting on Hatton for holding but it was Mayweather who was holding (and somewhat often at that). The ref also docked Hatton a point for a shot to the back of the head when Mayweather actually twisted and went down, hell Hatton didn't even hit his head there as he got nothing but rope. I think it came down to that the ref was just doing a horrible job more than being in Mayweather's corner. He seemed to be in the wrong position every single time.

That wasn't the reason Hatton lost though. He simply left his head exposed to much, and he got rocked one to many times. Ironically, I think the judge scores were way off when shown at the end of the match. They all had Mayweather leading by like 8 or so. It was more like 1 or 2. Hatton won most of the early rounds, IMO. Though anyone who claims this a run away for Mayweather most likely didn't watch the fight...

Masterpiece? Maybe in the last half, but Hatton put up a great fight in the first half. This was rather clear by how Mayweather acted once it was over, he realized that Hatton was very far from a push over. I would say overall Hatton was much better than I was expecting. If he would have been a bit better at protecting his head when pushing Mayweather to the ropes I think the fight could have gone the other way.

Floyd is always humble after every one of his fights and giving the other fighter tons of credit. Really, Hatton was an easy win. Ricky gave him pressure but didn't capitalize on it at all. Ricky took a lot of clean shots and Floyd defense and opportunistic holding made sure Ricky was going to be ineffective on the inside.

Later on in the fight, Floyd started out fighting him on the inside which I'm sure Ricky didn't expect at all. Net net, Ricky got sent to school. I can count the number of clean shots Ricky got off on one hand.

Here are the compubox stats: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=compubox_floyd_mayweather_ricky_hatton

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it matters now but it was obvious the longer the fight went on the greater the chance of Mayweather winning. He is by far the better boxer. I think most people would admit that (although sports is the best way to attract a partisan crowd!).

Hehe, I personally expected Mayweather to destroy Hatton. Basically the whole fight be what it was in the later rounds. It wasn't though, Hatton had a decent and controlling first few rounds. Mayweather is clearly an amazing boxer, and I don't think I've ever seen someone better than him. Wish he could be forever in his prime, but alas he can't, kind of sad. Besides his attitude, its amazing to watch him fight.

Nah, Sugar Ray Leonard was the best. But then he had great opposition to prove it against in Hearns, Hagler, and Duran. The young Ray Leonard was practically unhittable he was so quick.

Nah, Sugar Ray Leonard was the best. But then he had great opposition to prove it against in Hearns, Hagler, and Duran. The young Ray Leonard was practically unhittable he was so quick.

Amen to that. Although you can only beat what's put in front of you. But in comparison to some of the all time greats I always look at what challenges fighters have overcome (one of the reasons I respect, but don't admire, Lennox).

Not to take anything away from Mayweather - he is a fantastic practitioner.

Man, I do miss boxing. I'm old enough to remember talking about "Cassius Clay vs Joe Frazier" on the playground in 2nd grade. . . Ali had changed his name, but a lot of people were still using the old one. . .

If you miss it, 2007 has been a good year and HBO will be showing the top 5 fights of 2007 before the end of the year. 2008 should also be nice.

As for Floyd, you can only fight those infront of you. Even SRL went onto say that Floyd would have done just fine against the past elites. I believe it. Talent is talent, regardless of era.

Well, that's part of the problem, isn't it? Boxing has become a pay-per-view or subscription only sport for anything of quality. When I became a boxing fan many of the biggest bouts were on broadcast television.

Back