Easiest 3D CAD software

yards

Newcomer
I have some consumer product ideas I'd like to prototype and potentially have mocks created for. Any recommendations for how I should get started and what software I should use?

I'm trying to decide which of these packages that work with ZCorp's 3D printers to try:

Pro/ENGINEER
SketchUp
Alias
3D Studio Max
Rhino
Inventor
Mimics

I'm not so sure on ease of use, but Inventor seems to be the program of choice among the engineers at this local manufacturing company here in Wilmington, NC that I'm currently developing some visualization software for. It has some neat moving-parts features and such (i.e. you could potentially design a car engine in it and see it work in real-time) but it's also extremely expensive (roughly 5300 USD per seat).

On the same token, I've developed a program in under two weeks that takes the data from the sales department and automatically generates the CNC code for the order and sends it directly to the machines without ever needing to go through Inventor or the engineering department (without an error yet, as well). When the software goes live it should save the company around $500,000 (and that's a conservative estimate) a year compared to using Inventor and Inventor-trained engineers. I only mention this to give you an idea of the costs associated with using Inventor in a non-R&D production environment - a program I wrote in two weeks covers all the functionality the company currently pays around 500grand a year for from Inventor (that is, of course, including the salary requirements of their inventor engineers). Once you have all the R&D work done on a product there is more than likely a much less expensive alternative around.

As always, the best tool for the job depends on the job you're trying to do so I'd just take a look around and see what meets your needs the best.

Cost-wise it's very hard to beat VariCAD, but Unigraphics is better (and $8k).
We use Inventor/AutoCAD mechanical at my company, but you'll regret it unless you go with the maintenance plans that provide updates - every 20th or so MS security update breaks something in Inventor that you need the newest version to overcome.

If it's just for prototyping, then PowerSHAPE-e might be worth a spin. Seems fully functional and easy to use. Free as long as you stay within the application. The catch is that to export into a common CAD format for actual use you need to pay for the privilege of the conversion.

It depends on what you're doing. I haven't used it in a few generations, but 3D Studio Max is not meant for CAD even though it could do it.

SketchUp is incredibly easy to use for a modeling program so you might want to spend 30 minutes trying out the free version. Just for fun I tried it back at version 1 and was amazed that I could work easily with the program after spending just a few minutes watching a couple tutorial videos. I haven't continued to use it since I haven't been modeling anything recently.

Cost-wise it's very hard to beat VariCAD, but Unigraphics is better (and $8k).
We use Inventor/AutoCAD mechanical at my company, but you'll regret it unless you go with the maintenance plans that provide updates - every 20th or so MS security update breaks something in Inventor that you need the newest version to overcome.

Ironically, right as I was reading your post the controller for the manufacturing company I'm developing this software for walked in asking me (as a second opinion) if they needed to add the maintenance plan as well. Apparently it's 1600$ per year per seat, just to insure that the software continues to work?

She seemed pretty mad about it.. glad I don't have to pay for any of this.

Ironically, right as I was reading your post the controller for the manufacturing company I'm developing this software for walked in asking me (as a second opinion) if they needed to add the maintenance plan as well. Apparently it's 1600$ per year per seat, just to insure that the software continues to work?

She seemed pretty mad about it.. glad I don't have to pay for any of this.

Trust me, it sucks. Though I managed to go about 3 years once by simply disabling MS updates and blocking everything to and from my Inventor stations except port 80 with NoScript on Firefox. Finally caved. Try to talk them down though...you should be able to get closer to $1k/year for software that continues to do what it did the day you bought it.

I have some consumer product ideas I'd like to prototype and potentially have mocks created for. Any recommendations for how I should get started and what software I should use?

I'm trying to decide which of these packages that work with ZCorp's 3D printers to try:

I think something like autocad would probably be best as its build for designing and getting measurments 100% right unlike software as 3dmax that is more for artistical impressions so to say rather than getting a 100% correct model as far as measurements go.

seriously though...download the free demo (temporary) of VariCAD and give it a run.

Give Moment of Inspiration a try, especially if you're just mocking up (it's a nurbs modeller with a unique interface).

http://www.moi3d.com

You can see all sorts of crap I've rendered on my website, most modelled in MoI...

I'm just a home tinkerer but a big fan of Rhino :)
Its particularly good for freeform NURBS stuff but can do more mundane things just fine too.

Rhino has a 25 save but otherwise full-featured trial that you can play around with.
Also nice pricing & excellent community interaction of the developers (WTF programs breaking due to MS patches???)

What sort of things are you planning on doing with this 3d printer?

There are many choices for a 3D design program. Since the introduction of Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire several years ago, the user interface of Pro/ENGINEER has become very easy to learn and use as well. Additionally, the price of Pro/ENGINEER has also come done significantly to compete with the mid-range software 3D cad solutions (Inventor, SolidEdge, & Solidworks). Although, the same Pro/ENGINEER that is sold for under $5000 is the same software that is used by Fortune 500 companies like Toyota, Dell, and Nike. Conversely, the other midrange software solutions do not compete with the other high end 3D software solutions (CATIA, Unigraphics, & Pro/ENGINEER). If you need the power of advanced surfacing or large assembly management, you will need to upgrade from a midrange solution to a high end solution. If you have Solidworks, you would need to upgrade Dassault's (make of Solidworks) high end CAD solution called CATIA. Once you updgrade to CATIA, you will be designing with a new software solution that will be creating a different type of native CAD file.

At the core of every CAD software program is it's geometry 'kernel'. PTC has used their proprietary Granite Kernel since they came out with Pro/ENGINEER. Solidworks leases their Parasolid kernel from Unigraphics (their competitor). Owning your own kernel helps alot when developing a companies software solutions. They can also use the same kernel when developing other software solutions that are used 'downstream' from the design process.

Therefore, Pro/ENGINEER and others may seem close when looking at the different features and functionality of the software. Although, one must realize that your CAD program is just one part of the entire Product Development Process. After the part is designed, many additional processes need to happen before the product goes to market. You may want to perform Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on the part, tooling must be made and manufactured, technical illustrations need to be developed for an instruction or owners manual, etc. There is so much data that is created during the Product Development Process. That data then needs to be managed and collaborate within your organization and more than likely to several other vendors located throughout the world. To streamline that entire Product Development Process, Pro/ENGINEER is your best choice. PTC (the maker of Pro/ENGINEER) has a software solution for virtually every part of the Product Development Process. Your company will then have an integrated solution for the entire Product Development Process.

Lastly, from a support perspective, PTC has a blended learning solution. You can take Instructor Led classes at over 100 training locations throughout the world or learn the same material (and more) by getting an eLearning Pro/ENGINEER subscription. The eLearning subscription will give you web-based access to all of the material that is tought in the instructor led classes and several additional classes. In additional to the training, with PTC you also have access to live Technical Support 24 hours a day, 5 days a week. When you call (or submit a request online), you will be speaking to a highly qualified technical support representative that has access to a knowledge database of thousands of Pro/ENGINEER questions. They can answer your questions, or take control of your computer to help you with our technical issue.

I would be anxious to hear about the Product ideas you are working on. Currently, we co-sponsoring a Design contest called "Redefining Innovation". We are giving away $8000 in cash prizes for the top three winners. PTC is going to give the winners Global exposure on their website and through several different promotions. Manufacturing Business Technology Magazine is also going to do a feature article in the March issue of their magazine. You can learn more about the contest by visiting our website for the contest (www.redefininginnovation.com)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks and Good Luck!!

I find Solid Works pretty usable, and I can't produce anything of value in packages like Maya.

ProgeCAD Smart

If you want a free (for personal use) highly AutoCAD compatible CAD system (I am not sure if the 3D features work fully on this as on the commercial version though) try ProgeCAD Smart.

http://www.progecad.com/compra/index.asp?left=progecad2008smart&lang=eng

Also, although it is unlike anything else VariCAD is really powerful for parametric generation of models and reuse of components - if you are willing to do a little bit programming and UI config work.

Back