Smith & Tinker License FASA IP from MS

AlNom

Legend
Smith & Tinker is pleased to announce that it has licensed from Microsoft the electronic entertainment rights for Mr. Weisman's previous creations of MechWarrior, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies and the other properties of the FASA catalog. We’re not quite ready to announce our plans for each property, but please be assured that our goal is to surprise and delight old fans, while welcoming new fans to these fantastic worlds
Didn't see this one coming! Let this be a good sign... Anyone know who Smith and Tinker are? New group?

http://www.smithandtinker.com/news/

Ah...

Led by Jordan Weisman,

That is good news. :cool:

Wow. I'm guess this means some 360+PC exclusive Shadowrun games in the not too distant future. Hopefully the RPG kind.

I'm still waiting for a decent Mechwarrior game.

That'd be nice.

One where you level up your pilot but also can switch mechs, get into tanks, etc...

The closest game I've played to a true Mechwarrior game (IMO) was Shogo: Metal Armor division which was a FPS that you were either in or out of your mech. But it wasn't based in the FASA universe and you couldn't upgrade your mechs, etc..

A game like that would be awesome. I guess that Lost World is kind of like that (haven't played it) where you can get in and out of Mechs, but again.. I don't think you can do Mech battles and salvage parts and upgrade your mech and buy new ones, etc..

Oh well. I also wanted the XBLA Tournament Cyberball to be online multiplayer. There's an example of a game I would have purchased an entire console for, so I'm little bit odd.

No come on, not SHOGO. That game was a terrible wannabe anime shooter. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and a hate for Monolith to this day.

The onyl good thing about it was the explosion and the mech scenes, but in all honesty that game represents naught the what the Mechwarrior Universe is like.

Id say Heavy Gear 2 was slightly closer.

No come on, not SHOGO. That game was a terrible wannabe anime shooter. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and a hate for Monolith to this day.

The onyl good thing about it was the explosion and the mech scenes, but in all honesty that game represents naught the what the Mechwarrior Universe is like.

Id say Heavy Gear 2 was slightly closer.

You're being way too harsh. No, it didn't complete the task and no, it wasn't in the same universe. And it was also released at a point in time where some of the expectations were unrealistic.

My point was to take that game, put it in the Mechwarrior universe and expand it.

I think Carl understood what I meant.

The point wasn't that Shogo was a good representation of the Mechwarrior universe.. Clearly it wasn't, they didn't have the license so it couldn't be!

The point was that Shogo (when it was released) was a hallmark game in terms of driver VS mech interaction and the game did both fairly successfully.

I would like to see that, plus an RPG aspect for not only the driver but also the mech and have the entire thing situated in the Mechwarrior/Battletech universe so we can deal with mech's we're all familiar with like Locusts or Battlemechs or Marauder's or Crusader's, etc..

That would be a killer game. And there's no real reason why we can't have such a thing.

So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping. You don't have to if you don't want to.

Ok.. And I do want to add that I haven't played Metal Gear 2, so I can't comment on the success of that game.

I can only say that if a game ever existed that provides what I would like (and which I think Carl understood my intentions for, so I assume others also understand), I would buy it and the console that was required to play such a game.

Mechwarrior 2 and a Voodoo Banshee (or was it voodoo monster? I can't remember)... Those were the days!!!
Give me that game on any console and joystick support and it's day one purchase for me!

Mechwarrior 2 and a Voodoo Banshee (or was it voodoo monster? I can't remember)... Those were the days!!!

MW2 was for Monster. I'll really remember it well, since it came packaged with my Diamond Monster 3D back then.

Yeah! How could I forget that! Bought it to play Tomb Raider (in 640*480) and instead got blown away by MW! I did play the rest of the MW games but somehow, the second one was always my favorite.

Back in the day with low poly models and they could make 50+ mech's for the game... it was just pure awesome. :cool:

Is anyone following the Dark Age series (Mechwarrior) ? A possible setting or time era they could explain/expand is the time in between Classic Battletech and the Dark Age. MechAssault was sort of at the beginning of the end of CBT, but it was too far removed from any of the plots introduced in the novels.

Even though the Xbox version was too arcadey I'm hoping for another Crimson Skies game. I love the Crimson Skies universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was the pinnacle of the franchise..

Absolutely awesome..
:D

Indeed. I always thought that the Ghost Bear's Legacy expansion was also very well done...I simply can't resist a good opportunity to blast a some freebirth scum!

I actually got the original MW2 game to work in Vista the other day, surprisingly enough. It would be nice if I could run it higher than 640 x 480, though. :p

Back