Hybrid cars should be banned

Can't find anything on Snopes about the hybrid cars + hazardous waste stuff. The batteries used are the typical lead-acid unit, similar to the batter that's already in your car. The worst that would happen is spillage of sulfuric acid, and while that's not the best stuff to be rolling around in nekkid, cleanup is pretty straight forward.

Perhaps the better question: are there enough batteries, and in those batteries enough sulfuric acid, to constitute a hazmat situation IF the entirety of the acid was leaked? I don't know what the threshold is between something you and I can clean up versus what the hazmat team has to come out and do for you...

Might also be more dependant on location of the accident (near some factory, or water treatment plant, or ???) as to whether it necessitates a hazmat response.

You could start by actually learning about hybrid cars.

Agreed he has no idea what he is talking about. This isn't some vague mysterious magician's trick. There is literature all over. Look up some life cycle assesment stuff Tongue.

My only problem with Hybrids:

People drive Hybrid SUVs and trucks, thinking they're good for the environment. They're not good, they're just less bad. People shouldn't be driving trucks or SUVs they don't need, period. A lot of times, it seems like they're making hybrid cars that are still bad on gas. They're just getting more hp, for the same gas mileage.

The idea behind the technology makes a lot of sense to me, but I've always wondered about the batteries being recycled. As long as the batteries can be recycled efficiently, there's no reason not to switch over to hybrid electric as a standard. In the future, a hybrid of hydrogen and electric would be the perfect way to go, if they can make hydrogen fuel efficiently.

What is wrong with that? If people want to drive sports cars and you can make them get 30% better mileage at the same performance or more performance for the same mileage it is still a win.

Can't find anything on Snopes about the hybrid cars + hazardous waste stuff. The batteries used are the typical lead-acid unit, similar to the batter that's already in your car. The worst that would happen is spillage of sulfuric acid, and while that's not the best stuff to be rolling around in nekkid, cleanup is pretty straight forward.

You are wrong. They are NiMH (for prius). Definitely not lead acid. None of the "real" hybrids have lead acid except hybrid buses (where weight doesn't matter as much). That and BAS (GMs fake hybrids :) ).

Anyway less misinformaiton people. My head almost exploded reading this thread.

Go here
http://www.greencarcongress.com/
To read about news on some of this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, and we should stop eating cows, so they will fart less. At the same time we'll destroy some woods here and there so we can grow plants we're going to eat. No big deal, right? Nothing comes for free. Hybrid cars are not super-green. But comparing them to SUVs is pure absurd.

Oh, BTW - this topic should probably go to politics section. Am I right?

My only problem with Hybrids:

People drive Hybrid SUVs and trucks, thinking they're good for the environment. They're not good, they're just less bad. People shouldn't be driving trucks or SUVs they don't need, period. A lot of times, it seems like they're making hybrid cars that are still bad on gas. They're just getting more hp, for the same gas mileage.

The idea behind the technology makes a lot of sense to me, but I've always wondered about the batteries being recycled. As long as the batteries can be recycled efficiently, there's no reason not to switch over to hybrid electric as a standard. In the future, a hybrid of hydrogen and electric would be the perfect way to go, if they can make hydrogen fuel efficiently.
Thought it was hilarious that the Green car of America 08 is a big 6 or 7 litre suv with a hybrid motor.

Only in America :LOL:

Thought it was hilarious that the Green car of America 08 is a big 6 or 7 litre suv with a hybrid motor.

Only in America :LOL:

I love seeing a commercial for these vehicles to, there is one I clearly remember where a guy is about to take his daughter to a soccer practice or some sort. She mentions that in that part of town their vehicle would like bad because people there drive hybrid. Just so happens dad's vehicle is a hybrid too. It was one of those Tahoe's I believe.

The worst part of hybrids? The way the technology is used and has quickly worked its way as a catchphrase more than a useful technology.

You've seen one, it doesnt exactly look quality build. Put it next to a Benz or a BMW and you'll know which one will still be running in 20 years.

Well duh, the Hybrid will be the one still running and in one piece. BMW's (except the 7-series sedans) are utterly shit... Mexican built lumps of crap. We bought an X5 in 2004, barely drove it, endless malfunctions. Free replacement with a 2006 model in 2006, same shit, different car. Got another 'free' 2007 replacement about 8 or 9 months ago, and it's taken up until last month to iron out most of the faults with this car too... Every time we've had this heap of crap in the shop we've had a loan car (usually a 3 series sedan or hatchback-esque), and a number of those have had serious problems too. Parts randomly fail, things smoke, lights die..

If I never see a fucking BMW again, it'll be too soon. If I had the choice between a Hybrid or BMW, I'd take the hybrid.

Then again, I still often drive my 1995 fuel guzzling Jeep Cherokee. 350km to the tank, mmm.

Oke so most of you think hybrids as they are now are a good thing.

But dont you rather see more time and money invested in something that can really last us a 100 years like petrol did/does? personally I think hybrid cars are far more a media hype than a real solution because I think in most cases they arnt really that more fuel efficiant at all if any. you will spend most of your time doing speeds that the electricmotor cant handle so you have to drive the petrol engine, but you are carrying around that extra weight from the motor and batterypacks. I think a good diesel will be more efficient than a hybrid in most cases, exeptions being if you only drive in town.

You didn't really read my post very well, did you? ;)

Lexus has hybrids, the interesting thing, is that they make it sound all environmentally friendly; however, in various tests it was found that the hybrid made almost no difference, instead the electric motors were being used for added performance. Interesting, eh?

My point being, don't assume hybrid == environmentally friendly, it does not, it means an improved level of performance, especially in terms of low end torque, and the potential of regenerative braking. This can be used to provide an acceptable level of performance, as deemed by the market, for specially designed vehicles, that will have rather low fuel consumption. Largely, it pans out to drive system that is more efficient for a wider workload range. One could liken this with variable valve timing, should we ban that as well?

A while back Volvo was working on a system where each wheel had it's own frequency motor, thus also acting as a transmission, and the engine was a turbine which provided power generation. I think hybrids are going to pave the way to engines, that are only concerned with generating power, electricity really, and driving the vehicle is handled by electric motors. I'm going to wager that generating electricity, and transmitting it over copper is far more efficient than the mechanical power loss of transmissions.

To be fair, Lexus are marketing it as something to improve performance.

Reduced emissions and lower fuel usage seem to be footnotes to it.

Anyway, they have managed to fool crazy Ken, and they are exempt from congestion charges in London, which is all good.

But dont you rather see more time and money invested in something that can really last us a 100 years like petrol did/does? personally I think hybrid cars are far more a media hype than a real solution because I think in most cases they arnt really that more fuel efficiant at all if any. you will spend most of your time doing speeds that the electricmotor cant handle so you have to drive the petrol engine, but you are carrying around that extra weight from the motor and batterypacks. I think a good diesel will be more efficient than a hybrid in most cases, exeptions being if you only drive in town.

You're *&^%#!!in crazy. you saw some shit on tv, and like every other little self-entitled boy-dork you've decided that when your kingdom comes, you'll be driving a lamborghini. but oh no! it looks like Lambo's designing a hybrid engine! the sky is falling and you'll never get any chicks with a hybrid Ferrari. Well don't worry, son, because by the time you can afford one (roughly around the same time it takes you to pull your head outta your ass), they'll have invented a 345-hp hybrid, which will perform quite nicely in a 1200 lb car. ;P

Seriously, turn off the tv. Top Gear is a show for selling high-end autos, you do realize that, right? Hybrid tech is pretty impressive where it is today and it is quite clearly the technology of the near-future (if not longer). If it makes you feel better to stop eating cows, by all means, do so. No need to badmouth people for trying to save their environs. If you don't care about it, then go act cool and spend your (imaginary) money on luxury goods and prostitutes. There's no shame in being a struggling college student. There's no need to live a life of excess because you have no social grace. Don't be a tool.

You're *&^%#!!in crazy. you saw some shit on tv, and like every other little self-entitled boy-dork you've decided that when your kingdom comes, you'll be driving a lamborghini. but oh no! it looks like Lambo's designing a hybrid engine! the sky is falling and you'll never get any chicks with a hybrid Ferrari. Well don't worry, son, because by the time you can afford one (roughly around the same time it takes you to pull your head outta your ass), they'll have invented a 345-hp hybrid, which will perform quite nicely in a 1200 lb car. ;P

Seriously, turn off the tv. Top Gear is a show for selling high-end autos, you do realize that, right? Hybrid tech is pretty impressive where it is today and it is quite clearly the technology of the near-future (if not longer). If it makes you feel better to stop eating cows, by all means, do so. No need to badmouth people for trying to save their environs. If you don't care about it, then go act cool and spend your (imaginary) money on luxury goods and prostitutes. There's no shame in being a struggling college student. There's no need to live a life of excess because you have no social grace. Don't be a tool.

QFT!!

www.teslamotors.com

You are wrong. They are NiMH (for prius). Definitely not lead acid. None of the "real" hybrids have lead acid except hybrid buses (where weight doesn't matter as much). That and BAS (GMs fake hybrids :) ).

Anyway less misinformaiton people. My head almost exploded reading this thread.
You know, somehow I had that all wrong in my head. Oops :oops: Thanks for the correction!

Well with all the Ozone burning away things will be getting mighty hot 'n' sunny soon... Solar? :p

Ever cow produces 100 to 200 liters of methane a day, which is about the same as a big landrover driving 50 kilometers every day.
Um, do the math on that. 200 liters a day. That's 100 2-liter bottles of soda (if you guys even get them over there). Granted, its a gas, but that is a HUGE volume to come out of a cows butt per day.

Um, do the math on that. 200 liters a day. That's 100 2-liter bottles of soda (if you guys even get them over there). Granted, its a gas, but that is a HUGE volume to come out of a cows butt per day.
It comes out of the mouth, actually, and it's true for a grown cow.

Of course, that cow will produce 20 tons of milk and 600lbs of beef in ~6 years before it's killed.

Well they do have 4 stomachs... That's a lot of churning and breaking down. What do we let out with our small, weak little stomachs... 2, 3 litres a day?

Agreed he has no idea what he is talking about.
He's spewed a lot of nonsense in this thread, but it's true that hybrids aren't going to do much for pollution. I did some calculations in another thread, and if half of all cars sold are hybrids from now until 2020, we're looking at under 3% reduction in GHG for the US in 2020, and far less in the short term.

(I actually got a figure of 1.2%, because I don't believe 30% is reasonable in an equal performance, life-cycle comparison, but I'll use your assumption anyway.)

Real CO2 reduction can only happen through non-hydrocarbon electricity generation. Then we can use that in electric cars and/or plug-in hybrids.

But dont you rather see more time and money invested in something that can really last us a 100 years like petrol did/does?
So you think time and money invested in hybrid technology is a waste?

Which part? The control systems and electronics that give us the regenerative braking technology which we can apply almost everywhere? The research into optimizing fuel efficiency of the engines that drive hybrids? The search for better battery technology that is useful in countless areas of society?

I don't think the government would subsidize some of the cost if it didn't end up reducing the total amount of fuel usage. also, consider that a lot of commuters go in stop & go traffic everyday and that's what the prius is the best for.

Back