Did Metal Gear Solid really push the PS1 to it limit?

Spyro tops them all on psx utilisation :)

Maybe for Spyro himself, but for most of the other characters? No way. They were all much more simple than he was. I've been going through Spyro 2 recently, and was kinda shocked at how crappy the character models for everyone else are...

I think Vagrant Story pushes the PS1 the furthest, Square said when they do the performance test, it already hits 98%.

Personally i thought Alien: Ressurection was really awesome looking. I never finished it, but i will someday. I remember alot of people being negative to the controls, but the art direction and graphics were splendid.

I remember that game, it was pretty nice looking for a PS1 game. Same for Vagrant Story, especially when you pop it in to the PS2 and turn on that texture filtering.

Vagrant Story is the most impressive PS1 game visually, imo. That shot really doesn't do the game justice.

It even had rudimentary depth of field!

Maybe for Spyro himself, but for most of the other characters? No way. They were all much more simple than he was. I've been going through Spyro 2 recently, and was kinda shocked at how crappy the character models for everyone else are...

Yoou're talking about one model polycount ,what i'm saying is that Insomniac probablyhad the most impressive (tailored ) ps1 engine.

Omega boost was up there with the best looking of the PSX games, 50-60fps to boot. It used the GT engine from what I know. MGS also was incredible for it's time. Other notable mentions include FF9 and Vagrant story for sure.

You're talking about one model polycount ,what i'm saying is that Insomniac probablyhad the most impressive (tailored ) ps1 engine.

I'm more talking about the lack of detail than polygon counts. I'm not sure, but it looks like Spyro was one of the few models in the game that had any real textures... I'm just going off of what I've noticed over the past week, so I could be talking out my ass here.

Everything got a lot better in Spyro 3. Man, I love that game. Better than SM64, IMO...

Edit:

I'd add this game to the list.
http://www.playstationmuseum.com/Games/NTSCJ/SLPM-88501/
http://www.rhea.pe.kr/zboard/view.p...ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=name&desc=asc&no=4

Granted it's project that finished in 2001 (and got published even later) but the engine did some very nice things with lighting and polygon throughput.

Seeing 30+ animated characters at that level of detail wasn't exactly standard fare for any software in that console generation.

Wow, that's rather impressive for the PSone...

I'd add this game to the list.
http://www.playstationmuseum.com/Games/NTSCJ/SLPM-88501/
http://www.rhea.pe.kr/zboard/view.p...ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=name&desc=asc&no=4

Granted it's project that finished in 2001 (and got published even later) but the engine did some very nice things with lighting and polygon throughput.

Seeing 30+ animated characters at that level of detail wasn't exactly standard fare for any software in that console generation.
I was going to come in here saying MGS or Omega Boost... but that takes the cake.

Early PS2 stuff there.

I guess I'll be the one that brings Colony Wars into the discussion........ 60fps (well part one) and great sound effects......

other noteworthy games....

"One"
600317boxart_160w.jpg

&

"Apocalypse"........staring Bruce Willis....
600037boxart_160w.jpg

I would say that TRex demo launch push the PSX to the limit using a single model with a good number of polygons... even in the emulators this demo let the cpu usage go to an higher value.

I think C-12 looked pretty good, as did Armorines. They had good textures (for PSX standards) but they were severely lacking in geometry.

I think it pushed the PS1 quite some it had some nice graphics and effects. Never played it on PS1 tohugh but I did play it a bit on a PC (166MHz MMX) with an emulator, very fast and perhaps it did shape up the graphics a bit more, dunno.

Back