Did Metal Gear Solid really push the PS1 to it limit?

PSman

Banned
I heard that MGS use the PS1 full power is that really true? Are there any games on the PS1 more technically impressive than MGS?

MGS didn't have eyes in their textures although the game overall still looks great for the psx.

Vagrant Story is another game that looks really good and the people have eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGS had a lot of effects which the creators used to hide the "uglyness" of MGS on the psOne.

but then .. even Crash Bandicoot 4 player splitscreen was too much for the psx...

Omega Boost and Crash Team Racing looked god damn brilliant too. Omega Boost expecially had a next gen vibe to it

FF VIII & IX did killer things with the PSX hardware from what I could tell..

Trust me, they didn't... :p Tobal 2 IMO was most impressive as far as Square published titles go (despite it's relative lack of textures). The original Gran Turismo was fairly impressive, as well as Tony Hawk Pro Skater (any of them on the PSone) and Crash Team Racing. Actually now that I think it, PD's Omega Boost was rather pretty, but I don't know how much it really worked the system (sorta reminds me of Z.O.E 2 on the PS2).

Count my votes for Gran Tourismo 1 and Ridge Racer 4 (I think that was the last PS1 one)

Gran Tourismo for the combination of the physics on the crappy CPU and the decent visuals.

RR4 just for the visuals, it had almost none of the trademark PS1 graphics issues.

I loved the included 60fps Ridge Racer 1 track in RR4, and while I think it looked amazing, MGS topped it with its incredible art direction.

I mean, every single wall that you put your back against in MGS had an amazing artful camera angle that showed the details of the level. I dont think a developer will ever have the time to make a game that polished again.

I think that I was also impressed by Ace Combat 2 - that looked lovely.
And Spyro was also really nice

Although it was quite late the Atlantis game ( based on the disney film ) had some nice touches as well.

There is a pretty big interview with almost entire staff of MGS1 dev team that could be found on the official MGS1 artbook/game guide. The biggest problem thy had was fitting all of the animation data into PS1 ram. Last part of the game [with REX, and his enourmous animation data] was the hardest part for them...

So at least we know that they're pushed the limmit of ps1 in that field. :)

Personally i thought Alien: Ressurection was really awesome looking. I never finished it, but i will someday. I remember alot of people being negative to the controls, but the art direction and graphics were splendid.

I think that I was also impressed by Ace Combat 2 - that looked lovely.
And Spyro was also really nice

Although it was quite late the Atlantis game ( based on the disney film ) had some nice touches as well.

Ace Combat 3 also looked awesome

I think it looks beyond ugly... Hasn't aged well at all. 2d backgrounds was the way to go during that era imo.
The characters are highly detailed. Although when you're inside the catacombs the environments there are a tad on the plain side but when you're in other places the environment gets more detailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for the psx the game looked really good for its day but if you don't take into consideration the hardware it's running on of course it's going to not look good by today's standards. Although for me personally the game still looks great artistically. The only downside is the catacombs get a bit plain, but the point of the game is for it to be a hardcore RPG experience and what would that be without lots of dungeons.

Back