Xbox360 Dashboard is fugly!

The problem isn't money. It is that we can't customise it for our needs.

And why do you think they wouldn't let us customize every blade? Because it justifies the money for "official" themes. No one in general would pay for themes if people could just hook up a USB drive and transfer their own preferred images.

Do you pay for themes on Windows?

And why do you think they wouldn't let us customize every blade? Because it justifies the money for "official" themes. No one in general would pay for themes if people could just hook up a USB drive and transfer their own preferred images.

There's some you can buy, not that I would. There's plenty of free themes for the 360, I have something like 25 themes on my 360, I've never paid for 1.

The sad thing is that some people do :cry: Remember Windowblinds?

I'm with the group that believes MS should give out a new version of the "MS Points" currency which can only be redeemed for themes or user pictures. These can be distributed by, say, 1000 achievement points = 1 theme. This would partially encourage people to play their games more and get more value out of them, plus buying more games, while giving people the "free" themes they've been wanting since the bloody machine launched.

That doesn't stop people from making/selling themes in Windows.

I'll 2nd the responsiveness of the new blades. Seems minor in the grand scheme of things, but it makes me smile when changing!

I'm with the group that believes MS should give out a new version of the "MS Points" currency which can only be redeemed for themes or user pictures. These can be distributed by, say, 1000 achievement points = 1 theme. This would partially encourage people to play their games more and get more value out of them, plus buying more games, while giving people the "free" themes they've been wanting since the bloody machine launched.

http://xboxrewards.msgamestudios.com/

It's EOL right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it get reactivated during the winter or spring.

Tommy McClain

I was never all that happy with how colourful the guide is. I know it's a design by committee thing, but it's not me.

So.. I had a muck about one afternoon and created this image (for 720p). It's bland, clean and white. Works for me. (use with the default blade style)

It doesn't line up perfectly, but I can't be bothered tweaking it. :smile2:

Im not a fan. Never have been. The colorscheme and -really- the paralyzing layers of happy horseshit have an overpowering flavor of Microsoft "My Money Pit" focus group bs. Not to mention the adds..... And the lag. It's so chunky and unintuitive.

Yeah. Not a fan. I didn't like the XBox One dashboard either.

These console front ends should be designed with the user, not the shopper, in mind.

Im not a fan. Never have been. The colorscheme and -really- the paralyzing layers of happy horseshit have an overpowering flavor of Microsoft "My Money Pit" focus group bs. Not to mention the adds..... And the lag. It's so chunky and unintuitive.

I don't understand all that other stuff, but I did agree about the lag. But since the last update it has been as responsive as the PS3's XMB.

For all that the Dashboard does...I think it is a good design. Not great, but good.

Both MS and Sony have it hard when it comes to organizing their downloadable content. I think both are falling short somewhat (though MS's video marketplace looks hot from what I've seen, but I haven't seen much as I'm in Canada).

Now with both of my consoles having a lot of XBLA/PSN games, I can see there being a challenge in having it all organized. I like the implementation of Twist in MS's latest Dashboard update, but I'd like to be able to customize it a bit more.

Kinda reminds me of this --

I can accept some people saying that it's intuitive, since it's fairly uniform most of the time. Though the claim that it's minimalist is nonsense in every way. Now the PS3 XMB, that I'd call minimalist (in appearances anyway), but in some cases, it's a little too much so.

These console front ends should be designed with the user, not the shopper, in mind.
That kind of talk is illegal inside the evil campus. Talk like that anywhere in Redmond and you'll be declared a witch. :devilish:

Can PS3 have multiple backgrounds?

Hmmm, a bit of an odd question due to the nature of the XMB (compared to the blades), but the answer is no (as far as I know). I assume you mean multiple backgrounds at the same time, perhaps changing when switching to different sections of the XMB.

Then again, some content, such as games, changes the background when "moused over". But I doubt that's what you mean.

I can accept some people saying that it's intuitive, since it's fairly uniform most of the time. Though the claim that it's minimalist is nonsense in every way. Now the PS3 XMB, that I'd call minimalist (in appearances anyway), but in some cases, it's a little too much so.
I think the partitioning of XMB works out about right. At first the placement top-left threw me, as I felt it ought to be centralised like PSP, and how many shots of the XMB represented it. But its positioning is such that the selected items are centre screen. I haven't found much in it that strikes me as horribly wrong so far with my part-time viewings. It's not too hard to find where things hang out. Sometimes items go on for pages and pages, but I'm okay with that. I prefer that to one page crammed full of all the settings and options. Then again I'm the sort of person that runs all applications in large-o-vision and very rarely run multiple windows concurrently. I even close applications to remove junk from the task bar and then reload the application if I want it again!

At first the placement top-left threw me, as I felt it ought to be centralised like PSP,

Wow, never actually noticed this, despite having a PSP long before a PS3. I'll have to look again when I get home.

On the subject of the Blades, I like the, IIRC, "Carbon Fiber" theme (free, maybe even baked in). Seems to add some "depth" to the color of the very colorful blades.

My brother bought a PS3 two weeks ago and I bought a 360 on the weekend. I'm not happy with either interface. At defaults, the PS3 looks a lot prettier, but I find the information is organized very poorly and there are too many options off each of the main menu icons. The 360 on the other hand, has the data in all the right places, and the number of options is reasonable and more concise, but damn is the colour selection and placement of ads/images really really ugly. I'll have to play with some themes and see if I can make it better. So far, I actually like the Wii menu the most, overall, but it seems like it would get way too cluttered if I had a lot of virtual arcade games.

I think Sony and Microsoft missed the mark this time around. Nintendo's is reasonable.

I like the Wii interface, but Nintendo's got a lot less functions and features to worry about though. PS3's got some huge list of options in System, but the key functions are discrete. In playing music, videos, or games, there's no wading through lists of options to get to any. The only major problem with that IMO is the naff subfolder creation and management. the Beautiful space 2 theme adds some very nice grounds and icons IMO, but if it's not your thing the customization options are pretty broad. Aesthetically PS3 can be whatever you want.

How would you handle PS3's functions differently in an interface? The only possible improvement i can think of is isolating the system type options in a separate 'page' of menus so they aren't presented in general use.

I think the PS3's menu works great. It passes the wife test with flying colors, and it works just as well on any type of screen in any type of circumstance, including remote play. And customisation is just about perfect as well. I can think of one or two improvements, sure, but they would be for advanced users mostly, and so far, I can't think of anything essential that I miss.

One thing I can't stand about the PS3 is how when you select a game, the music takes a few seconds then starts playing. For whatever reason, the PS3 is much louder than my Wii/360 (in terms of audio), so when I turn on my PS3 and start navigating the menu, it always startles me with the loud sounds (the current game it always defaults to has some loud annoying drum sounds, too).

My 2 cents!

Having used all 3 of the next gen systems, I like the Xbox360 dashboard the most... It may not be as pretty as the PS3 dashboard, but I think it does what it's supposed to do quite well.... PS3 dashboard is pretty but a bit to confusing for my taste.... Don't like the Wii dashboard at all....

But anyway... If you want to see nice dashboards/skins i suggest you check out some of the skins for XBMC.... Especially this one... http://aeonismine.com/ (the gallery!)

Back