Anyone used a USB hub + card reader on PS3?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Had a friend asking about the SKU differences. He can't find a 60GB SKU anywhere in the UK so we were trying to pin down if the differences are worth worrying about. Has anyone tried using a USB hub to access devices on a PS3? Or a standard card reader and if the XMB can access media through that directly? As he has both already, if these things work automagically then apart from the lack of games bundled, the 40GB would be a suitable purchase.

I also tried an el-cheapo 11-in-1 reader (my wife has an xD type memory card which is rarely supported directly), and that did work fine too. Most of these cards just seem to offer the contents of the Memory stick as a standard type storage medium USB connection, which should basically always work.

I haven't tried a HUB yet, but I have some lying around so I could give it a try. I'd put money on that working without any issues though. I think for instance the Rockband peripherals work that way, and Buzz may well internally too (on the PS2).

If you can demonstrate a hub and a card reader and other USB devices in that all working fine, I'd be mightily pleased!

A friend of mine has a random D-Link USB hub plugged in, and everything works through it fine. He has a 60GB, so doesn't need to plug in a card reader, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work unless it was produced by Joe's Grill, Garage, and Card Reader Manufacturing. (Heck, maybe not even then. ;) )

It's read off digital cameras and iPods (if you have "disk usage") and external HDD's just fine, so...

Had a friend asking about the SKU differences. He can't find a 60GB SKU anywhere in the UK so we were trying to pin down if the differences are worth worrying about. Has anyone tried using a USB hub to access devices on a PS3? Or a standard card reader and if the XMB can access media through that directly? As he has both already, if these things work automagically then apart from the lack of games bundled, the 40GB would be a suitable purchase.

I have to tell you, those built-in card readers come in handy, and help keep the front looking clean w/o devices dangling.

Conversely, a cooler, 65nm Cell, and reportedly better WiFi/BT adapter are pretty tempting.

I'm surprised he can't find a 60GB unit.

There just aren't any in the UK at the moment it seems. Well in this part if it! None of the online retailers, including online arms of highstreet stores, have it in stock either. I guess the bundle offer was too tempting and those wanting PS3's for Christmas lapped the 60GB's quick.

I'd also like to know if an unpowered USB hub connected to PS3 can support 3 things at once: keyboard, mouse (both may be wireless) and card reader. If not, how about only keyboard and mouse?

I want to buy a PS3 with 65nm Cell but the 80GB version feels like taking forever. :???:

Speaking of which, has anyone heard of any info about 80GB PS3's going 65nm anytime soon?

Im quite on a PS3 crossroad as the 40GB sounds nice with 65nm Cell making the console much more cooler and less power hungry, but at the same time the lack of two extra USB ports and Card Readers might be something i'll regret later on.

Sure, I can use an external hub, but thats not very good to look at now is it :LOL:

ive used 3 different types of card reader with my ps3 (40gb) and they've worked fine
but im not sure about usb hubs

Speaking of which, has anyone heard of any info about 80GB PS3's going 65nm anytime soon?

Im quite on a PS3 crossroad as the 40GB sounds nice with 65nm Cell making the console much more cooler and less power hungry, but at the same time the lack of two extra USB ports and Card Readers might be something i'll regret later on.

I must say I do like that I have the extra USB ports and the card readers. They aren't really essential but I do use them (meaning I don't have to swap out my EyeToy for instance when I'm using one to recharge and the other with the DFPro wheel plugged in), and they are good - i.e. the card readers seems to work better than most PC card readers (we have two) in reading 4GB discs for instance (which I can't get to work on my wife's Vista machine for instance).

However, I don't see that version become available anytime soon in Europe. Don't know about the U.S., but the European 40GB version is going to become an 80GB edition with otherwise the same feature set, so just the HDD replaced. If it turns out that 80GB version isn't also more energy efficient (though I think it may well be) then maybe I'll use that point in time to pick up a cheap 40GB and upgrade it's HDD. I definitely want a second PS3 for in my office room.

I have a 7-port DLink hub and not everything works when connected to it. I can't remember exactly which things are incompatible, but I think my PS Eye was among them.

i have tried a könig 4 port hub and stuff like flash drives and external hdd worked fine, but my GH guitar and logitech GH drums wont work when plugged into the hub. they will however work if they are plugged into a build in hub in a ps3 stand i have

Thread necromancy! In the end he bought a specific 3 port hub+card reader shaped to fit and it works very well.

Back