AMD's culture clash

Ouch on the read, but on the bright side...

Chris Hook is in charge of North America marketing now? I did not know that, thanks John. :)

"While taking this picture, I heard an AMD rep behind me mumbling, "We brought the wood, we brought the wood baby" over and over again." :LOL:

Is this... nice?

I don't know what bring the wood means, it sounds like he is talking about the sight of 4 graphics cards giving him an erection. Or maybe I got hold of the wrong end of the stick (pun intended). Spooky whatever.

I wonder what he said when he saw Digi's blown up machine ?

heh, kinda funny really. His main argument is entirely based on lack of execution by the cpu group at Lake Tahoe, but when proven wrong he just says the public perception is that they aren't united at AMD. What does he think people without connections at AMD base assumptions on? Articles like these, that's what.

I'd say it's more significant that AMD still appear to be crappy at marketing, even more than ati ever did. :(

Basically in that context, bringing the wood is bringing a big stick and beating everyone with it. Nothing to do with erections (where is your mind?).

As for Poopypoo... it was an op-ed piece, and originally written from my observations at both the Tahoe event and with talking to others that have dealings with AMD marketing. So when Chris Hook corrected me about the 4:1 ratio of CPU to GPU guys, it was a total shock to both myself and Ryan Shrout (who also attended the same event). The entire time there, I only talked to one AMD guy that I knew for sure was from the CPU group (Pat Moorehead).

You were at Tahoe Josh? Damn, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you in person. I hate finding out after the fact.

Sorry I missed you dude, it wasn't intentional.

Heh, when I found out that you were there (after the fact) I was racking my brain trying to figure out who you were! Sorry I missed you as well!

I hear different things. Sometmes I hear that marketing is done at the group level (like GPG --graphics). Other times I hear its one organization and all the ex CPU guys are supposed to be PRing GPUs now and vice versa.

So far as I can tell personally, it looks like they decimated the ex-ATI side and the CPU guys not only haven't picked up most of the GPU pieces cast to the winds yet, they don't even know what they don't know. Which is actually giving them the benefit of the doubt over "they know what they don't know and don't give a rats @ss to find out".

But then that's a little narrow viewpoint from where I sit --others probably have a different one.

Basically in that context, bringing the wood is bringing a big stick and beating everyone with it. Nothing to do with erections (where is your mind?).

As for Poopypoo... it was an op-ed piece, and originally written from my observations at both the Tahoe event and with talking to others that have dealings with AMD marketing. So when Chris Hook corrected me about the 4:1 ratio of CPU to GPU guys, it was a total shock to both myself and Ryan Shrout (who also attended the same event). The entire time there, I only talked to one AMD guy that I knew for sure was from the CPU group (Pat Moorehead).

i understand that, Josh, and my apologies for being a little rude - i always forget that these articles are written by people who are reading here. ^^; however - and bear in mind that i'm a total outsider, save for reading here - my impression has been, from the onset of the merger, that everyone was wondering how much culture clash there would be. All i've ever heard is speculation on how much there must be, and so i treat it as speculation. Regardless, they're obviously not getting it done, tho, this time around, engineering has done them no favors. ;p

Well, Phenom isn't the world beater that many were expecting (and Henri so famously espoused). But I am impressed by RV670 and the products it powers. I think that is a huge favor that the graphics guys gave to marketing! Oh, and working dual R680s as well.

Well, Phenom isn't the world beater that many were expecting (and Henri so famously espoused). But I am impressed by RV670 and the products it powers. I think that is a huge favor that the graphics guys gave to marketing! Oh, and working dual R680s as well.

So what sort of benchmarks did the working dual R680's give that were impressive ?

You have to give a figure for this otherwise it just as impressive as the 3GHz Phenom that AMD has been showing for months. If quad(2x2?) gpu's are that good then we ought to be told the figures now just so we can be interested once again in the Phenom. Perhaps."Phenom isn't the world beater that many were expecting" actually means AMD conned us into thinking that for months and months, when they new differently, because we had no other evidence.

Just saying "dual R680's as well" is yet another tidbit thrown out that keeps us all hooked for yet more time. The promised land of milk and honey is just around the corner etc etc.

It's getting to the point that whatever graphics wise AMD throw out nvidia can just squash like a cockroach if they wish. Looking back at history the nvidia FX was one miss wonder and the ATi R300 was a one hit wonder. The nv30 debacle did nvidia more of a favour then they ever new at the time.

Cpu wise I do not even want to think of Shangai v Nehalem, it's too depressing,

I'm not sure who AMD was able to con into thinking Phenom would be world-beating performance-wise.

Almost everyone expected middling at best, and AMD managed to undershoot that with a buggy launch a speed grade below its already twice-reduced launch speeds.

I'm not sure who AMD was able to con into thinking Phenom would be world-beating performance-wise.

Almost everyone expected middling at best, and AMD managed to undershoot that with a buggy launch a speed grade below its already twice-reduced launch speeds.

Are you telling me people expected K10 to have a lower IPC than Intel ? I only seem to recall Ed at overclockers saying this for a long time.

Saying people expected k10 to be middling at best is now re-writing history with hindsight. go back and look over the old forum threads. IPC advantage was a given and all that was left to ponder over would be release speeds. The 3GHz K10 AMD kept showing backed up peoples thinking that speed would be close to Intel as well.

Phenom's launch speeds had already scaled back from 3.0 GHz months prior to the launch.

Barcelona's numbers should have been a pretty good indicator, especially since it was launched a quarter prior.

Back in May, Realworldtech gave Intel the edge in single-threaded performance, though at the time it was qualified as being slight.

After tests with Barcelona, there wasn't too much speculation that Phenom would magically do better in IPC than Conroe.
The expectation then was that AMD would need to scale up clock speed to compensate, since it would at most hope for parity in IPC.

AMD's tenative launch speeds had already fallen to Intel's mid range before the actual launch.

3dilettante, vast majority of people I know were expecting K10 to trounce C2 before the results started leaking to the contrary. One of them said something along the lined of "Intel delivered on Prue-release C2 promises and so will AMD. No one would be stupid enough to go on records so many times and then have to eat crow. AMD knows that their products and promises will be put to the test in the end; they simply can not afford to lie in the face of that inevitability"

Heh, since how long did some of us (including myself) claim that K10 won't be IPC-competitive in non-FP workloads, and won't manage to reach Conroe-like clocks? If anything, I'm amazed at how many people gave them the benefit of the doubt only because "they are AMD" and couldn't possibly be spinning things that much. Clearly, that's not the way things work in this industry.

Heh, since how long did some of us (including myself) claim that K10 won't be IPC-competitive in non-FP workloads, and won't manage to reach Conroe-like clocks? If anything, I'm amazed at how many people gave them the benefit of the doubt only because "they are AMD" and couldn't possibly be spinning things that much. Clearly, that's not the way things work in this industry.

Yeah, like 3dilettante said, I thought the Barcelona benchmarks pretty much set the table and the issue was a dead one.

oh, i was referring to the last set of graphics products, not this one. I'm always slow on the uptake. Everyone's excited, so I am too, but i don't even think much about it until the prices get pretty stable. I'm not really shopping for a video card yet, so i really can't comment on this crop (thus, i'd be a terrible pundit). Looking forward to buying a midrange part this january, tho..!

Back