Deus Ex 3

Loving this game so far. I've been playing almost non stop since launch and I wish more games were designed to offer choice like this.

My only complaints: After coming off Red Dead and Fallout the world doesn't seem open enough and I hate the boss fights. In fact the boss fights are damn right troll fests and breaks the immersion for someone who focused on purely stealth augs.

while I prefer more open world games, the level design and range of options for attacking a problem (or replays with different tactics) make this game a complete winner in my book.

IMO it darkens Mass Effect's doorstep. ;)

I think of Mass Effect a lot while playing this too. It makes me want to hit those games again when I'm done here. :)

I'm very happy with HR. I really don't have any complaints. I like the boss fights because it's the only time I'm up against other mostly-cyborgs. These boss fights are less boss fighty than the way say Res Evil does a boss fight. It seems more like I'm just up against a credible opponent. Unfortunately they always have a perfect grasp of their abilities and I don't lol.

My only complaints: After coming off Red Dead and Fallout the world doesn't seem open enough and I hate the boss fights. In fact the boss fights are damn right troll fests and breaks the immersion for someone who focused on purely stealth augs.

I mainly deal with stealth, but I still haven't had any issues with the first boss so far. I work on my augs for stealth, but upgrade weapons for when I have to use them. Works great.

This is the best game I've played in a long time. I love FPS games, but not necessarily all action. I love RPG games, but not the really crazy in depth ones. I like stealth games, but get bored of them after awhile. What this game does it takes all the best of the individual pieces, puts them altogether and you have a brilliantly well rounded game.

There are so many ways to get around every single situation, it's a little overwhelming at times. In the first part of the game, I would try and force my way through a situation. Many times felt like I was trying to jam a square peg through a round hole. But then I started to 'get it'. Let me try and be stealthy where I was going guns blazing, vice versa.

I love the augmentation/RPG element. The hacking is fun and can get rather challenging/frustrating at times.

I haven't had any real issues with frame rate, or tearing. The cut scenes look worse than the game does. The sad part is I picked this up from a Redbox, ending up keeping it for 4 days.

I loved the first one, definitely up there as one of the true classics, IMO. The second one, not so much.

But after reading this bit in a review from PC Gamer, I'm running out to the store to buy the third installment.

It’s also a game built with a respect for its players. At every stage, Eidos Montreal have asked “What if the player wants to do this?” And instead of answering with “Put an invisible wall there to make sure they can’t,” they’ve kept working on it until you can. They’ve kept working on it until you’re rewarded for original thinking, instead of slapped in the face and shoved back on the tracks.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been waiting a hell of a long time for a game like that. I’ve been humping low walls, shooting NPCs and trying to smash down locked doors for eleven years, and every game has broken, buckled or refused to react until now.

Yes! Yes! Locked doors and invisible walls are right there with light bulbs that can't be destroyed as some of my major pet peeves.

Invisible War isn't terrible. I'm actually working on a play through of it right now. It's just so strange that it was made by a lot of the same people as DX1 because was it is so small-minded and limited in comparison. And yeah the unified ammo is mind boggling.

The dynamic lighting/shadowing is a defining feature of the game, but I'm thinking it's also what caused the tiny maps/areas. The game absolutely pummeled Radeon 9800s and GFFXs back in its time and if Doom3 is any indication you can't add too many stencil shadows without imploding machines. Maybe there was also some UE2 ineptitude involved though because this doesn't exactly look like Doom3. ;)

I mainly deal with stealth, but I still haven't had any issues with the first boss so far. I work on my augs for stealth, but upgrade weapons for when I have to use them. Works great.

I'll be honest with you: after dying a few time against the second boss fight I haven't touched the game since.

I'll be honest with you: after dying a few time against the second boss fight I haven't touched the game since.

it glitched on me during that fight. she just stood in place while I loaded her head with bullets. I think it was after I EMPed or PEPed her.

But I'm not sure why these little aug showdowns are so rage inducing. I mostly like them so it's definitely a can't please everyone situation as usual.

People people people...if you have explosives, any type of explosive... Use them !!
Its the ONLY thing you need against bosses, every single boss goes down in 4-5 explosive (on Give me Deus Ex difficulty) be it grenade launcher, a frag or a mine. The best part is once you catch a boss in an explosion they will basically be cannon foddar as they get stunned immediately and you can throw in another explosive before they recover and stun them again...keep doing this until they can be defeated in like less than 15 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Steam I played the game for 40 hours. Not sure how much of that is the game left in pause screen and because I tend to be one of those OCD player who wont move on until everything is finished. It was still quite long though.

How long is the game ?

I'm probably halfway through and have put in around 20 hours on normal difficuty. But I enjoy exploring and sidequests and whatnot.

on easy you could probably fly through the ganme in 10-15 hours but there are so many ways to play that you could play it 3 times differently. Stealth play takes longer as you need patience.

I'm up to 25 hours on my first play. I spend lots of time just wandering the major hub areas looking for hidden goodies and sometimes causing crazy mayhem.

But I have to say that I may not want to play hacking minigames ever again after this because wow there is just an insane number of hackable terminals in the game. ;) And even if you get access codes, you'll want to hack because you can get the hacking software, money and XP. I heard they they removed an auto hacking device from the game. I could go for having that device!

Back