Deus Ex 3

This is absurd. There are games that are "too complex for consoles" or "unsuitable for console audiences", but Deus Ex is not one of them. I can't fathom why Eidos would limit themselves to 3% of the market share* for something that is technically a shooter with a bit more involved upgrades and a conversation here and there. If Mass Effect can run on consoles, so can Deus Ex 3 - unless they've changed radically what Deus Ex means.

Sure, but that suggests that all they want to do is Mass Effect, or that ME is the epitome of the shooter-cum-rpg subgenre. It's easy to think of games that are too complex for consoles; make it more tactical, more strategy-based (think SWAT), make it for an older audience. In other words, take the Brad Wardell route. Making it an FPS makes that a more difficult fit, of course, but I could still see it being doable.

To go back to ME, ME is mostly an extension of the model they'd been building up since KOTOR, which was a dumbed-down NWN played from an over-the-shoulder perspective. Take a step back, go more complex, to something like Dragon Age and you get a game that is getting a LOT of hate on console, in great part because of the interface. Given the interface hate, I don't know if saying that Dragon Age is too complex for console would be a great stretch.

Sure, but that suggests that all they want to do is Mass Effect, or that ME is the epitome of the shooter-cum-rpg subgenre. It's easy to think of games that are too complex for consoles; make it more tactical, more strategy-based (think SWAT), make it for an older audience. In other words, take the Brad Wardell route. Making it an FPS makes that a more difficult fit, of course, but I could still see it being doable.

To go back to ME, ME is mostly an extension of the model they'd been building up since KOTOR, which was a dumbed-down NWN played from an over-the-shoulder perspective. Take a step back, go more complex, to something like Dragon Age and you get a game that is getting a LOT of hate on console, in great part because of the interface. Given the interface hate, I don't know if saying that Dragon Age is too complex for console would be a great stretch.

Im having alot of fun with Dragons Age on the xbox 360 and its a shame the game is getting such unfounded hatred on the consoles.I don't think that DA is too complex for the consoles as me and my friends who own the game are enjoying every minute of it..

People claiming that Deus Ex is too complex to be played on a console seem to have forgotten that Deus Ex 1 was ported to the PS2. It was a bit clunkier than playing with a keyboard, obviously, but far from unplayable. Even if the PC is the lead platform, it doesn't exclude a console port.

People seem to have forgotten that Deus Ex 1 was ported to the PS2. It was a bit clunkier than playing with a keyboard, obviously, but far from unplayable.
Actually there were slowdowns everywhere and one of the two PS2 games to ever crash on me. They had a notoriously difficult time porting it to the PS2. Spector refused to talk about developing for the PS2 when asked about it on The Screensavers. And level layouts were changed because of the PS2's RAM limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the slowdown was due to the difficulty of programming the PS2 (the graphics certainly weren't anything special), not because of the complexity of inventory and aug management (which is what was dumbed down for IW). Considering they were able to pull off the controls in a playable-if-clunky way, there's nothing intrinsic to the gameplay of Deus Ex that would make 3 be un-portable to current-gen consoles. If they make the min reqs the latest graphics card and 8 GB of RAM, then yeah, it will be a PC-only title...but I doubt they'll do that.

Well if they target 2006 years high-end PC hardware as min req then it wont be doable on console, that's for sure.

Well if they target 2006 years high-end PC hardware as min req then it wont be doable on console, that's for sure.

I beg to disagree. High-end 2006 means 8800; cut off anything lower than that, and you lose about half the PCs in Valve's hardware survey.

Also, can't speak of PS3, but given the benefit of much lower resolution (720p), the lower-res textures necessitated by the lesser amount of memory, and a bit more "to the metal" coding and lighter-weight API/OS, in my experience the 360 can hold its own against a 8800; it certainly isn't in another league.

But the slowdown was due to the difficulty of programming the PS2 (the graphics certainly weren't anything special), not because of the complexity of inventory and aug management (which is what was dumbed down for IW). Considering they were able to pull off the controls in a playable-if-clunky way, there's nothing intrinsic to the gameplay of Deus Ex that would make 3 be un-portable to current-gen consoles. If they make the min reqs the latest graphics card and 8 GB of RAM, then yeah, it will be a PC-only title...but I doubt they'll do that.
I know but the slowdowns still make it an inferior port so the first game is not one to point to for a PC to console port especially since the level layouts were changed because of the PS2's RAM limitations. They won't have to make it require 8GB. All it would take is 1GB(or since there's OS bloat 2GB).

Yeah, but you can get anything to 'sorta' work anywhere. To me that suggests, again, that if nothing above a half-assed, clumsy attempt can be accomplished then it's a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Now... to be fair, the original Deus Ex didn't have great controls even on PC (or good framerate, or decent AI, or good voice-acting or a good story).

I thought the story and controls of Deus Ex (first one) on PC were pretty good. It was just standard FPS user definable controls. Not revolutionary certainly, but if it works, why change it? Graphics were good enough and ran well on my system at the time even at a good resolution (1280x1024 being a relatively high resolution at the time).

The PS2 port on the other hand was a travesty. Levels were heavily butchered to make it fit, removing many of the alternate paths you could take to finish a level, which was one of the draws of the game on PC.

Regards,
SB

I thought the story and controls of Deus Ex (first one) on PC were pretty good. It was just standard FPS user definable controls. Not revolutionary certainly, but if it works, why change it? Graphics were good enough and ran well on my system at the time even at a good resolution (1280x1024 being a relatively high resolution at the time).

There was a weird looseness to the controls, though, especially where physics was involved. Which wasn't so hot for a game where you often had to stack crates. True, though, for the most part Deus Ex controls were okay.

Why don't you point to the IGN review next?

The game was dumbed down shit.

I just linked the first google search result I found. I personally never played it, but just remember reading about it.

Here's a metacritic rating of the console version:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/deusexinvisiblewar?q=deus ex invisible war

Again, it seems to match print/blog/gamesite reviews. If anything, that gamespot review was among the lowest ratings the game got.

My only point was to add further evidence that this game existed on consoles such as the PS2 and XBox.

My point is gaming journalism is a joke that all too often falls into hype. Deus Ex 2 was universally seen as a shadow of the first game by fans.

There was a weird looseness to the controls, though, especially where physics was involved. Which wasn't so hot for a game where you often had to stack crates. True, though, for the most part Deus Ex controls were okay.

OK, yeah, the crate stacking in the game was a PITA. But to be honest, no game really got crate stacking done well until HL2, and even there it was still too jittery.

Crates in FPS games just never seemed to have much mass in general, acting like they were just a thin plastic shell with wood paneling.

Regards,
SB

I just linked the first google search result I found. I personally never played it, but just remember reading about it.

Here's a metacritic rating of the console version:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/deusexinvisiblewar?q=deus ex invisible war

Again, it seems to match print/blog/gamesite reviews. If anything, that gamespot review was among the lowest ratings the game got.

My only point was to add further evidence that this game existed on consoles such as the PS2 and XBox.

Well, if people never got to play the original on PC, I'm sure even the heavily butchered port to console would have seemed like a breath of fresh air.

And Deus Ex 2 just went and made everything worse. :( And basically was the downfall of both Ion Storm and Warren Spectre.

Regards,
SB

Deus Ex 3 is real...

@deantak said:
Warren Spector announced tonight Deus Ex Human Revolution is coming this year from
Square Enix. He showed the trailer as a surprise ending.

@geoffkeighley said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer now playing at GDC Awards. CG, but looks great. Done by Square in Japan.

Tommy McClain

Back