By golly it's loud!

The 360 I've heard isn't terribly loud on boot up, louder than CE devices but quieter than the average PC in my experience, but those DVDs sure make a racket!

Doesn't that depend largely on what you're used to? Obviously though, my 360 isn't the quietest ... it's a non-HDMI Premium, after all.

360 isn't my first console believe it or not! ;)

My first (launch) 360 was very loud, but my replacement was much quieter, and when the disc isn't spinning it really is virtually silent.

360 isn't my first console believe it or not! ;)

My first (launch) 360 was very loud, but my replacement was much quieter, and when the disc isn't spinning it really is virtually silent.

I thought 360s use passive cooling.
If the disk isn't spinning, and there's no usage of fans, shouldn't being dead silent be a given?

No moving parts=no sound
well, generally

360 may sound loud but it is always evaporated by game sound. Couldn't care less about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed... 360 is certainly loud but not enough to distract from a game in a decent surround set-up. PC drives are nightmarishly loud, though thankfully they usually require a once-off install with the occasional no-CD patch. The Dreamcast was the loudest console I've owned actually, and also the most fun.

IIRC the PS3 actually has two different fans that you can get....a quiet 19 blade fan in the Japanese manufactured models and a louder 15 blade fan in the Chinese manufactured models. Pretty much luck of the draw on which one you get.

There are only Chinese models in Europe afaik.
My older one had a different sound at the same speed level though, at least I think so.
But the fan speed of the first one was 3rd-4th level all the time wich was verry annoying during movie playback , the new one stays solid at 2nd level.

There are only Chinese models in Europe afaik.
My older one had a different sound at the same speed level though, at least I think so.
But the fan speed of the first one was 3rd-4th level all the time wich was verry annoying during movie playback , the new one stays solid at 2nd level.

That's not good to hear. Do you mean the 40GB version by the new one? Sadly, getting that is not an option for me, as I need the backwards compatibility, and the upscaling of PS2 games is also a big plus.

Last night I tried the Uncharted demo, and witnessed yet another fan speed level. And to think I thought it was noisy before.

That's not good to hear. Do you mean the 40GB version by the new one? Sadly, getting that is not an option for me, as I need the backwards compatibility, and the upscaling of PS2 games is also a big plus.

Last night I tried the Uncharted demo, and witnessed yet another fan speed level. And to think I thought it was noisy before.

No, the new one is the one I got replaced because of the noise, also a 60GB but probably from another batch.
I wish you luck with the service company that you have to deal with over there, that sucks if they are not that great.

I did the RM process online, and later I realised that I could have gotten the new one even faster cause the service is just a 30 minute drive away :smile:.

No, the new one is the one I got replaced because of the noise, also a 60GB but probably from another batch.
I wish you luck with the service company that you have to deal with over there, that sucks if they are not that great.

I did the RM process online, and later I realised that I could have gotten the new one even faster cause the service is just a 30 minute drive away :smile:.

Switching places with the devices didn't help at all. The PS3 is as noisy as before eventhough there's nothing in front of the right side ventilation holes. I think I'm going to call the customer service again to get a replacement. I suspect it won't be easy.

IIRC the PS3 actually has two different fans that you can get....a quiet 19 blade fan in the Japanese manufactured models and a louder 15 blade fan in the Chinese manufactured models. Pretty much luck of the draw on which one you get.

mine's chinese too and it is very quiet

mines chinese too, but mine does get a tad loud, nothing bothersome though. the first 15-20 minutes is extremely quiet, then it gets a little louder. in the summer it does get quite loud though (we have AC but we don't have it on all the time and it can get quite hot and humid here). mine is a 20GB launch unit btw.

My PS3 is one of the louder ones, but I found the fan ran noticably quieter with the machine on its side, exhaust vents up.

The 360 is absolutely ridiculous when it comes to its noise margin. Mass Effect causes these really weird noises almost as though the CD is scratching. The PS3 by far quieter and the Wii seems to be the quietest (but that's no surprise)

Is that true of all XB360s playing ME? My PS2 is terribly loud. It sounds like the head is crunching disks. But I found it was due to lack of lubrication on the head rails, and just haven't found anything that's a suitable lube (tried cycle grease and standard household 3-in-1 oil). Other PS2's don't tend to have this problem, so it'd be wrong of me to claim all PS2s are really noise and made weird noises when playing games.

I don't find it noticable on ME. I have one of the HDMI models.

Edit: clarifying... it's not any louder than any other 360 game. I just popped in Assassin's Creed and it's louder than ME for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount of noise comming out of my 360 when playing ME must be equall to at least 3 PS3s playing at the same time... If I hate something about the 360 (besides the constant fear of RRoD) is noise...

Is that true of all XB360s playing ME? My PS2 is terribly loud. It sounds like the head is crunching disks. But I found it was due to lack of lubrication on the head rails, and just haven't found anything that's a suitable lube (tried cycle grease and standard household 3-in-1 oil). Other PS2's don't tend to have this problem, so it'd be wrong of me to claim all PS2s are really noise and made weird noises when playing games.

When my half-brother had issues with his old PS2, I told my dad to go to an electronics store (hardware store) and ask for some grease and tell them what it's for. That should do the trick. Typically this kind of grease is white, solid and sticky.

With ME in particular unlike other 360 titles (Gears, Viva, Oblivion, Halo3, Bioshock) it seems as though its finding the data in really small chunks. It's constantly stoping and starting, back and forth like a broken record.

I've finally joined the Cell collective with the purchase of an 80 GB model! :D

Sitting idle, it is pretty quiet- just barely audible while watching tv at a very gentle volume. I would say it is comparable to a Mac mini running at moderate load.

I'm running FaH, right now, and clearly the fan speed has kicked up a notch (don't know if it is the middle or highest speed). The noise is not that bad, still. I'd say it is at about the same level as my older model PS2. Gratefully, the noise signature has less "tone" than the PS2. It just sounds like air noise with a faint tone.

It's about what I expected. Tell you what, I could never imagine leaving it on 24/7 just to run FaH work units, though. Just thinking about that kind of power draw going on for an entire day for many days runs very counter to my tendencies to do things "green", where possible.

A brief note on airflow characteristics of the PS3- exhaust side is pretty evident on the right side. Intake appears to be along the front on the underside of the ledge. There also appears to be an array of very small vents near the edge shared by the left side and the bottom side. Prudence would suggest leaving a bit of clearance on that edge so the vents have a good air supply. If you stack it on something horizontally, cantilever it about .2" on the left side to expose those bottom vents (they can be hard to notice and thus may be neglected).

Naturally, free and fresh air should be ensured for the vent-work all along the front under the ledge. If you really want to get anal about air flow optimization, it seems it would be a good idea to design a baffle that isolates the exhaust on the right side of the unit from the entire rest of the unit. The larger the path you introduce from the right side venting to the front venting, the better. That will allow mixing with a greater volume of cool ambient air before getting drawn back into the front area.

It will be interesting to see how this thing behaves when summer arrives (not that I'm worried), where I don't run any AC save for exceptionally hot days.

Back