Game of the Year 2007

Fu3lFr3nzy

Regular
Looking at the calendar dates, it seems that just about every major title on every next gen console is finally out, reviewed and played by gamers around the world as we speak.

With that said, 2007 has been one of the best years in terms of the amount of great titles that has come out, and I know it wont be easy for some but in your opinion which game will take the GotY award?

I choose not to nominate any specific title because I want to hear from others first(you guys might bring up some good points that'll change my mind ;) )

With that said, 2007 has been one of the best years in terms of the amount of great titles that has come out, and I know it wont be easy for some but in your opinion which game will take the GotY award?
At which ceremony/institution? There's plenty of Game of the Year awards handed out. Or do you mean which game do people here value as their GotY?

IMO the award is ludicrous. There's lots of fantastic titles all with their own take on gaming, and all providing something different. To elevate one above all others on some non-existent subjective criteria is just daft. There's no need to polarize everything into winner/loser, best/worst, etc. A list of 'must-have' titles is better for everyone than an artificial 'this game is the best of this year'.

I couldn't care less what any gaming site/mag says about any game but my game of the year is definitely Mass Effect. I have never in gaming been so immersed in a game before. And it's not just the gameplay and story that makes it like that, the visuals go a long way towards immersing you into the game.

For my personaly GotY I am debating in my head The Orange Box and Call of Duty 4... I will have to get back to you on this...

I will be surprised if there isn't a strong arguement for Rock Band btw (not that it interests me at all).

Can't say now, simply because I still have to play so many games. ;)

It's really close between Orange Box, COD4, and Warhawk for me, but given how long I've played it, I have to go with Warhawk.

If you extend to PC: Crysis, easily.
What will likely get it: The Orange Box, possibly the best deal in gaming history? Maybe? Possibly.

My personal GOTY so far is between The Orange Box and Halo 3. I still play Halo 3 every weekend, and much like Halo 2, I expect that I'll continue to play Halo 3 for a couple of years.

The Orange Box gets my nod mainly because it's a lot more fun than most games that I've played all year, but also because it's the best bang for the buck in recent console history. Seriously, 5 really good games for the price of one is just an awesome deal. I'm not sure if re-released games can be a contender for GOTY though.

I still haven't played Mass Effect, COD4, or Uncharted, I'm waiting for my new TV (a 52" Sony xbr4, woot!) before I try those. Despite my choices for GOTY, I'm more of an RPG fan, so I suspect that Mass Effect may get my vote once I play it.

As for the game that will pick up most GOTY awards, my guess is Bioshock.

Shifty, I agree with your points for "overall must-play games for 2007". At the end of the day, maybe we could have an official list with a multi-option poll, so we can see how many people agree to the "must-have" games on offer. That way there's some weight to the view, other than just a single user's opinion. I definitely think it'd be a good idea to set up an official B3D "Best of" list. Possibly this could be the "first annual..." !

My single game would be Bioshock. It took me a long time to sink my teeth into, however it definitely surpasses System Shock 2 for me. The environment, the atmosphere, and the narrative all work together, along with of course the art style. I actually completely disagree with views the game is overrated... I think the critics tended to nail the positive thoughts on the game, whereas gamers themselves seemed to miss the point, throwing negative comments on parts of the game that are critical to its design and successes. This is not wholly surprising, though, since the SS games were definitely "not for everyone" as Hesse would say... Just because a game is thrown onto a system where software sells like hotcakes and has a lot of critical acclaim won't suddenly make it a success to gamers after the usual assortment of Madden, FPS and whatnot. I don't think this will gain a lot of critic's GOTY votes personally, for this very reason... there's too much other stuff out there that is of high quality while being "for everyone".

Runners up are
  • Orange Box, since the HL2+episodes are classic FPS progression games, Portal is a little bit of genius with loads of character, and TF2 is one of those games that, when you have a good group of people in the same match, will be timeless.
  • Mass Effect, which like I've mentioned in the game's thread, will likely be remembered for what it does poorly rather than all the things it does better than any game available... which is sad, and a strong testament to the need for a restructure of the review process in my mind, since it obviously penetrates into the minds of hardcore gamers. Needing to summarise the "good points" and "bad points" doesn't measure fun, nor does it measure the cinematic experience, nor how much a game sucks you in and makes you a part of it.
There's so many great games I've left out. Overall, I definitely think 2007 is the best gaming year ever. If we do have a "games you should play '07" thread, I'll pipe in with a handful more.

Dave B, do you still rate Overlord as your GOTY?

I would say Mass Effects looks like a good candidate for console games with perhaps Uncharted at second place. For PC and overall Crysis, in all categories period!

BTW Command and Conquer 3 shure belongs to the top 5 list IMO as does Orange Box, endless of fun.

Super Mario Galaxy. It's the best game since I don't know when. Certainly since before the 360 launched. Maybe since X-Com.

Mass Effect hands down by a mile. Nothing else comes close.

Mario Galaxy seems fun, but it seems far to easy compared to mario's past. I've only gotten about 25 stars though, maybe it gets harder....

Bioshock was great, but it's no Mass Effect.

Portal was fuckin awesome too. Not GOTY material cause it's so short, but man, a game hasn't made me laugh that much in years, if ever!

Since Resistance: Fall of Men is last year, my favorites this year are (no particular order):

Top 5 Faves
========
Ratchet and Clank - In a very real sense, every action is a game in the R&C world.

Uncharted - Everything is amazingly polished and tight here.

Heavenly Sword - Everyone (the main characters) is so memorable and entertaining to play against/with. Kai is the best !

Eye of Judgment - Every single battle is engaging and engrossing as you pit your wits, given your hand, against the computer. Unlockable decks are cool too.

*One more entry undecided*

Honorable Mentions
=============
Everyday Shooter - Every level is so pretty and surreal. I love the guitar music, but it's so hard. I have not finished the game yet, and probably won't be able to complete. >_<

Folklore - Sleeper hit, underrated, whatever you call it... Everything (art style, gameplay, story, characters) is so charismatic in this game. The game moved me despite having a quirky, old school environment to roam in. Best use of SIXAXIS. I still have some more to go.

Am fudging with CoD4 and AC right now. CoD4 SP is ok, and I have only ventured online twice on MP (but it was indeed great !). AC is beautiful but I dislike buggy games. Might wait for patch to come first.

Then, there are late comers like UT3 and SingStar, plus Rock Band to check out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easily Orange Box I'd say (and since I had the old games and TF2 doesn't work for me, really just Episode 2 and Portal). If forced to split Orange Box into its separate components, then I'd have a tough decision between Portal and Bioshock.
Crysis doesn't do it for me, Gears of War (PC version) doesn't quite crack it, and I'm pretty sure UT3 won't be overall GOTY material, though possibly MP game of the year. Super Mario Galaxy has a chance I suppose, but I haven't played it yet.

Orange Box (Portal, TF2, HL²:Ep2, in that order)
Prolly Super Mario Galaxy (even though I didn't play it, I hear around me lots of good about it)

Back