Xbox 360 Elite / Falcon

So...based on my limited research, the falcon motherboad / chipset has not yet made its way to the Elite model (at least on store shelves). The Arcade and standard/pro/premium models can be bought with the Falcon chipset.

Is that correct?

Is anyone aware of any Elite sightings with Falcon?

I'll likely wait until early December to purchase (so there will likely be quite a bit of stock chewed through over next weekend). Still...me wants 120 gig...and me wants Falcon...me hopes I won't need to buy Arcade Falcon + 120 gig drive...

What is the benefit of buying the Elite at this point other than the color and the HDD upgrade?

The primary selling point was HDMI, and that is now standard on every 360 as is my understanding.

Is it still a better deal to buy the Elite than it is to buy the Arcade and the HDD?

The color is nice :( Seriously, I do prefer it much more than the white. It's not glossy black so it doesn't attract a lot of dust. Also, gives it a slimmer appearance, esp since having it standing vertical. Matches the rest of my A/V setup.

You have to remember that the mass consumer is a sucker for the $50+ HDMI cables that Salesman John at BestBuy is going to try to sell them. Thus to them, having the HDMI cable included might be a tipping point. I know it seems rather silly to us but such cables are priced that much because people will pay it.

The premium remains the best package in my eyes. 2 proper games, HDMI and harddrive.

For practical purposes though, there is no need

The color is nice :( Seriously, I do prefer it much more than the white. It's not glossy black so it doesn't attract a lot of dust. Also, gives it a slimmer appearance, esp since having it standing vertical. Matches the rest of my A/V setup.

You have to remember that the mass consumer is a sucker for the $50+ HDMI cables that Salesman John at BestBuy is going to try to sell them. Thus to them, having the HDMI cable included might be a tipping point. I know it seems rather silly to us but such cables are priced that much because people will pay it.

The premium remains the best package in my eyes. 2 proper games, HDMI and harddrive.

For practical purposes though, there is no need

Does the HDMI cable include optical out?

What is the benefit of buying the Elite at this point other than the color and the HDD upgrade?

In addition to what others have mentioned (HDMI cable with audio dongles), The elite does come with two games and I believe a head-set.

I believe I read (not sure though) that if you want t use HDMI and optical out and don't use the (expensive) X-Box specific cables, that you have to do a little bit of "work" with standard cables to get things to physically fit.

So, Arcade + 120 Gig hard drive is about the same cost as the elite, but you get a little less hassle and a couple extras with the elite package.

I believe I read (not sure though) that if you want to use HDMI and optical out and don't use the (expensive) X-Box specific cables, that you have to do a little bit of "work" with standard cables to get things to physically fit.

Yup. The HDMI cable they provide is slightly more compact around the end connections so that the dongle will fit at the same time (IMHO, very sneaky proprietary..ness of them :devilish:).

In addition to what others have mentioned (HDMI cable with audio dongles), The elite does come with two games and I believe a head-set.

<snip>

So, Arcade + 120 Gig hard drive is about the same cost as the elite, but you get a little less hassle and a couple extras with the elite package.

Two games? Really? I haven't seen that anywhere. Are you talking about NA? I've seen Elites on the shelves and the box doesn't seem to indicate it comes bundled with any games. Or do you mean Arcade-like downloadable games?

The HDMI cable is worthwhile as is the headset.

I'm asking because I'll probably pick up a 360 in the next couple of months.. Depending on whether or not MS is really cool and gives us an unexpected price drop before the holiday, or if they wait until after.

Two games? Really? I haven't seen that anywhere. Are you talking about NA? I've seen Elites on the shelves and the box doesn't seem to indicate it comes bundled with any games. Or do you mean Arcade-like downloadable games?

In NA there are holiday bundles for Elites and Premiums that come with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Forza Motorsport 2.

The Elite I just picked up has those 2 games in it. All new premium's and Elite's do. I'd be shocked to see a price drop before the holidays. I'd think they would have done it by now to pick up sales in Nov and Dec.

Since there aren't any elites yet with .65u chips, that might be one advantage of the Arcade systems. Plus the Arcade+120GB combo would also net you 5 arcade games, a 256MB memory unit, and a hard drive conversion cable. For those upgrading from an existing 360 that may already have or don't care about Forza 2 and Marvel Alliance and the headset, it might be a way to go. Just a matter of preference on the accessories, color, games, etc. most important to you. HDMI cables from monoprice.com are only about $5 and the 120GB harddrive on newegg $165, so the total cost from that standpoint is a wash.

Joe, patience my young padawan. LOL If you're looking for deals, then keep an eye out this Friday for Black Friday deals. But if I were you, I would also watch for deals closer to Christmas. I got mine at Toys R Us last year the Sunday before X-mas and got a free $100 gift card. If you can't get an Elite with the Falcon, I would just wait. For you an Arcade + 120gb would be a terrible deal. The Pro would be a better deal, but not if you're still wanting the HDMI cables(especially the dongle). So like I said if you can't find an Elite with the Falcon, then wait. You've already waited 2 years, what's another month or so?

Tommy McClain

I believe I read (not sure though) that if you want t use HDMI and optical out and don't use the (expensive) X-Box specific cables, that you have to do a little bit of "work" with standard cables to get things to physically fit.
http://www.forgotten-gamer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103280&st=0&p=1868460&#entry1868460

I think this is what you're talking about.

I don't understand why the issue of needing a dongle for audio keeps coming up. 90% of HDMI capable TV's provide an optical and/or digital output to provide 5.1 from an HDMI source.

there probably are a fair number of TVs that have DVI, but no HDMI though. I always saw the audio dongle as something for those making use of an HDMI <-> DVI converter (though a dongle with DVI and audio would make more sense :p)

Back