NPD October 2007

What did PGR4 do last month (september)? I don't recall any numbers
edit: Because it was released in October dummy.

R&C will be alright, too bad for PGR4.

Damn, if I had a PS3 I'd drop my money on Ratchet and Clank instantly. Maybe all the kids are askin' for a Christmas copy and those sales haven't picked up yet?

Kids don't have PS3s.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Maybe all the kids are askin' for a Christmas Wii and those sales haven't picked up yet?

fixed ;)

my GF's kids want one and all of their friends have one too... PS3 software sales are abysmal :oops:.

oh and allegedly the 360 numbers are the 4th best for an October of any console ever... without the Wii by comparison the 360 would look like a beast in HW and SW

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out Sony PR included PS2 in the sales as well

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=amjWQwK2k3Bs

"The price cut and new model helped Sony increase sales of all consoles including the older PlayStation 2 to 100,000 units in the week ended Nov. 11, spokeswoman Kimberly Otzman said in an e-mail.
"

Or does it mean PS2=100k. PS3=100k. PSP=100k?

Remember, this is November. Sales spike seasonally. 100k/week= 400k/month which would not be too unreasonable, even for PS3.

Even the first Xbox has always sold more than 400K in november:
2001 - 712K
2002 - 467K
2003 - 490K
2004 - 708K
2005 - 197K, but X360 has launched and MS dropped the Xbox1.

So 100K per week is quite reasonable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 360 doing even better.

PS2 sales for comparision:
2000 - 186K, supply limited
2001 - 908K
2002 - 1,283K
2003 - 850K
2004 - 694K
2005 - 531K
2006 - 664K

And sales usually double for December...

Yeah, I thot it a bit weird that they got that excited about it being the price cut. It's November, welcome to Christmas shopping. We're nearly done.

So 100K per week is quite reasonable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 360 doing even better.

Well, in October and September 360 was selling about twice as well as the corrosponding Xbox 1 months in 03.

Example, October 03 Xbox=176k. New NPD 360=366k.

But Xbox 1 typically sold 500k in Nov. So if the doubling continues, we would expect 1 million+ 360 in November!

I dont know if I see that much..maybe 800k. Still gangbuster numbers.

Poor PGR4. With Bizzare being bought MS seems happy to let this game die off and focus on the Forza series. I don't think we'll see PGR5 for a very long time.

R&C is yet another exclusive that bombed. Added to the grave with Heavenly Sword, Lair and Warhawk.

Oh that PR spin is downright sad.

So if the doubling continues, we would expect 1 million+ 360 in November!
I dont know if I see that much..maybe 800k. Still gangbuster numbers.

The X360 does have the best software lineup for the holiday season, there can be no doubt about that any more.

Ratchet has basically tanked as it seems, Heavenly Sword is nowhere to be found, Lair has sold even worse then the above two. The only exclusives left for Sony are Uncharted, which seems to be in danger as well :)O), and what else is there, Eye of Judgement?
Metroid Prime 3 topped at 430K, and even though Mario Galaxy will probably draw quite a crowd it's still only one game. Nevertheless, the Wii is clearly the main and only competitor to Microsoft at this point, but I still can't tell why it sells like that.

The 360 has Halo, Mass Effect, Bioshock is still there, and practically every multiplatform title looks and runs more or less better then their PS3 versions. It's still cheaper, even if only by $50, and it seems that noone really cares about HD movie playback. And it also has a great catalog of older games, from Gears of War through Forza2 to Lost Planet, Dead Rising and a lot of other 'smaller' titles. It's a very appealing package at this time, and many retailers seem to run holiday discounts, too... So the race is open.

Honestly, why do PS3 owners ignore high quality titles like Ratchet and HS? They should be thirsting anything good, but they're letting down the exclusive games instead...

Honestly, why do PS3 owners ignore high quality titles like Ratchet and HS? They should be thirsting anything good, but they're letting down the exclusive games instead...

Out of those two, HS is more my cup of tea, except it's a bit short. I do plan to get it when the price drops. PS3 s/w pricing needs to be revisited.

Back