Wii Ware info.

ninzel

Veteran
Games budgeting for $100,000 or less.
Many ways to publish, common ways are directly to Nintendo or through 3rd party publisher. Many games in the works via many different models.
Profit split is 65% 3rd party,35% Nintendo.
Games trying to be limited to around 40MB(N64 type adventure games) but ideally 16 MB.
The smaller the game and the more downloads the faster Nintendo pays you.
3rd party decides pricing.
Nintendo discouraging flooding of market by only allowing 1 game per month from 3rd party.

This an XBLA and PSN are really the most potentially exciting thing in console gaming.

I hope thats 1 game per month per third party and not just 1 game total per month >_<

Yes it's per third party.If a 3rd party releases a game and it doesn't do well they can pull it and put another up as long as it's not more than one per month.

How do publishers gain publishing rights through nintendo's download platform?

Since there's no cost to manufacture discs then is there somekind of licensing model whereby 3rd party publishers host (on their own servers) certified content for developers?

What's to stop a developer publishing their own content in this way?

Maybe they mean games developed by devs from a 3rd party? So if you freelance/hobby/student you publish via nintendo and if you work for EA you publish via EA.

Maybe they mean games developed by devs from a 3rd party? So if you freelance/hobby/student you publish via nintendo and if you work for EA you publish via EA.

I highly doubt nintendo have targetted this platform (or any other for that matter) to hobbiest/student developers..

In such a cut throat world of business you're either an established games development house or nobody will take you or your product seriously..

Why not? Sure it probably wasnt nintendo's #1 priority to make a system that allows students to publish their work but its defenitly aimed at devs that dont have the money or capability's to build full games. I dont see why wiiware wouldnt be usefull for students. If you see what kind of stuff some univeristy students make it defenitly wouldnt look out of place on a platform like wiiware. The great thing is that you can publish to nintendo so you dont need a big company behind you.

I wouldnt think of ''amateurs'' like mod makers or students to light though. You ''often'' see them make games with more quality than some of those so called established games development houses.

Why not? Sure it probably wasnt nintendo's #1 priority to make a system that allows students to publish their work but its defenitly aimed at devs that dont have the money or capability's to build full games. I dont see why wiiware wouldnt be usefull for students. If you see what kind of stuff some univeristy students make it defenitly wouldnt look out of place on a platform like wiiware. The great thing is that you can publish to nintendo so you dont need a big company behind you.

I wouldnt think of ''amateurs'' like mod makers or students to light though. You ''often'' see them make games with more quality than some of those so called established games development houses.

Your missing the point..

It's not about development competence.. it's about business.. Regardless of whether or not you're a student with a complete finished game at mario galaxy level quality.. Unless/until you have a dev studio with some credentials behind you nintendo aren't going to commit to supporting your work on their platform.. FACT

There's alot more to games development then writing code and 3D modelling..

That's not to say you couldn't at that point get yourself setup with a studio after proving your competence with a prototype (it wouldn't be the first time this has happened) however it's not common considering it's incredibly hard work to create a fully fleshed out, localised/localisation-ready product without alot of time, money or resources..

Oh & how many students do you know who have that $100,000 dev budget just sitting in their bank account waiting to go?

Unless/until you have a dev studio with some credentials behind you nintendo aren't going to commit to supporting your work on their platform.. FACT

Read? you dont need that. You send your game to nintendo, they probably pass it true some kind of quality controll and than they will release it for and take 35% of the profit.

There's alot more to games development then writing code and 3D modelling..

That's not to say you couldn't at that point get yourself setup with a studio after proving your competence with a prototype (it wouldn't be the first time this has happened) however it's not common considering it's incredibly hard work to create a fully fleshed out, localised/localisation-ready product without alot of time, money or resources..

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other. I get the idea you view wiiware as a platform that needs atleast OoT size games. But its not, sure you can do that, but it might as well be a platform for games that are very basic in their set up.

Oh & how many students do you know who have that $100,000 dev budget just sitting in their bank account waiting to go?

Who said you need atleast 100k? Nizel said 100k or less. Besides that game study related students often have to build their own game as a (graduation) project. De blob for example and I know I guy who made a game based on UT2004 for their study. Those kind of people could also chose wiiware as their platform. They dont need any money as they are not getting paid anyway.

My understanding is that no publisher is necessary and there is nothing but technical quality control. i.e. no judgement by Nintendo on the product quality.

All that's required is an ESRB rating and as I understand it the ESRB recently made this relatively affordable for low budget titles (special price for budgets <250K if I remember correctly).

The thing I've never gotten a good answer too is how Nintendo prevents the flood of crap or at least gives the player the tools to filter it.

I suspect in the short term at least it'll be ameliorated by the relative shortage of Dev Kits, Joe Schmoe is going to be a lot further down the priority list than most publishers.

I believe there is supposed to be some kind of rating system in which buyers give points to a game. Though I read that a long time ago so nintendo might have different ideas for that now.

As far as devkits go, cant they release a pc based only tool like xbla?

You have to have a Wii dev kit and be established AFAIK.
It sounds like all games will go through Nintendo,either directly from dev to Nintendo are from dev to 3rd party publisher to Nintendo.
Edit: It sounds like Nintendo is encouraging very small simple games with their business model of how you get paid.Games could cost as little as 100 Wii points($1)

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that no publisher is necessary and there is nothing but technical quality control. i.e. no judgement by Nintendo on the product quality.

All that's required is an ESRB rating and as I understand it the ESRB recently made this relatively affordable for low budget titles (special price for budgets <250K if I remember correctly).

The thing I've never gotten a good answer too is how Nintendo prevents the flood of crap or at least gives the player the tools to filter it.

I suspect in the short term at least it'll be ameliorated by the relative shortage of Dev Kits, Joe Schmoe is going to be a lot further down the priority list than most publishers.

As I know, Nintendo originally planned to determine the price of the titles themselves, i.e. Nintendo would set the price of the download not the developers. This would allow for some content control.

I don't know though, if they haven't scrapped that requirement though, as it would require more work from Nintendo.

You have to have a Wii dev kit and be established AFAIK.
It sounds like all games will go through Nintendo,either directly from dev to Nintendo are from dev to 3rd party publisher to Nintendo.
Edit: It sounds like Nintendo is encouraging very small simple games with their business model of how you get paid.Games could cost as little as 100 Wii points($1)
$1 per game is quite possibly too low. Doesn't a good Live! Arcade game sell in the tens of thousands? As a developer if you'd be getting 66 cents per sale, it'd take better than Live!'s average sales just to make your money back. Sounds more like Flash web-games than download arcade titles as the only likely product.

Read? you dont need that. You send your game to nintendo, they probably pass it true some kind of quality controll and than they will release it for and take 35% of the profit.
Have you ever had dealings with nintendo's submissions dept.?

Have you ever tried to submit a game to XBLA, PSN or any other digital distribution platform for example?

If you're not a registered company (in some form; a good example being Pompom Games who, when first established, consisted entirely of one person..) then you're going no where.. There's alot of administration involved that a company like Nintendo will not be willing to go through with you unless you show some professional establishment.. Taxation being just one of the many factors that would come into play..

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other. I get the idea you view wiiware as a platform that needs atleast OoT size games. But its not, sure you can do that, but it might as well be a platform for games that are very basic in their set up.
I'm not sure what you mean by OoT but I don't see Wiiware as anything far away from what we're seeing with XBLA or PSN.. You only have to look at some of the announced games (FF: Crystal Chronicles title) for the level of quality/producxtion values they're aiming for.. Sure not all games are going to cost that much & a simple puzzle games (with professional quality decoration) would have a good chance of seeing deployment onto the platform, but I have no doubt that by the time any student or group of individuals put together a title to that level of quality
on a budget of 0, big companies like Popcap would have already swooped in and filled the platform quota for "quirky addictive puzzle game X".. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not very likely to happen (you only have to see what's going on in the indie/hobbyist scene to really get a feel for the frequency of non professionals breaking their product to makret this way..)

Even the most basic game can take a heck of alot of time, effort or money to develop.. & then you have to consider all the other (non-game) aspects required to pass cert. (such as localisation, TRCs etc..) All of which is not a small (nor is it easy or fun) feat for any small team/individual..

Who said you need atleast 100k? Nizel said 100k or less.
Sure!! Who said at least 100k!?

I sure as hell didn't!!

Besides that game study related students often have to build their own game as a (graduation) project. De blob for example and I know I guy who made a game based on UT2004 for their study. Those kind of people could also chose wiiware as their platform. They dont need any money as they are not getting paid anyway.
Sure but that all depends on a number of factors.. Mainly the fact that many universities maintain control of IP created by students as a part of their uni grad projects.. Not all obviously but this is a pretty big deterrent for most students getting a product to the point of commercial sale.. Next you have commitment factors (what happens when your collegues graduate and move on with life to another city/country? sure you could say "let's recruit" but it's a bit of a problem when there's no monetary incentives..) & like i've already expressed the pile of extra work you have to build into the game just to pass cert.

Like I said, it's not impossible to do with a team with zero budget, but for the quality level Nintendo are aiming for with wiiware titles, the bar is far to high for everyone but the absolutely commited.. (a rare breed in a world where working for nothing doesn't exactly provide you with a good living..)

$1 per game is quite possibly too low. Doesn't a good Live! Arcade game sell in the tens of thousands? As a developer if you'd be getting 66 cents per sale, it'd take better than Live!'s average sales just to make your money back. Sounds more like Flash web-games than download arcade titles as the only likely product.

Why the only likely product? The $1 comment was an example to illustrate the kind of control devs have over pricing and content. Maybe an extreme example to emphasize the point.
I expect to see a variety of games, and devs to not just sink to the lowest common denominator. Do you have some evidence or reasoning to suggest that only flash based games are likely? The titles I've heard about in development are not flash games even though it's likely we will see some.
Guy's..these number were mentioned as just rough estimates and not hard set rules.

Why the only likely product? The $1 comment was an example to illustrate the kind of control devs have over pricing and content.
Guy's..these number were mentioned as just rough estimates and not hard set rules.
Well without more info, we've no way of knowing what the elasticity of pricing is and it seems a fair assumption that is the price mention is $1, you don't think '$10 games will be plentiful.' If the price spectrum is going to be broad, why isn't it mentioned? I'm not saying it won't be, but it seems the press-releae is unclear and setting up wrong expectations. Or right expectations!

Well without more info, we've no way of knowing what the elasticity of pricing is and it seems a fair assumption that is the price mention is $1, you don't think '$10 games will be plentiful.' If the price spectrum is going to be broad, why isn't it mentioned? I'm not saying it won't be, but it seems the press-releae is unclear and setting up wrong expectations. Or right expectations!

Are you being serious,I can't tell? A whole channel so devs can just release Flash games when there are a tonne of FREE Flash games already playable via the Opera web browser? Many of which are made specifically for the Wii....for free. Did I mention that they are free already?
Plus the fact that the sales numbers for the virtual console is already demonstrating a healthy market for downloadable games in varying price ranges.
Honestly Shifty,I know your biased against the Wii as are a lot of people on here but you usually make sense. ;)
Anyway here is the link to the podcast t listen for yourself.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/834/834465p1.html
Time 40:02.

As I know, Nintendo originally planned to determine the price of the titles themselves, i.e. Nintendo would set the price of the download not the developers. This would allow for some content control.

I don't know though, if they haven't scrapped that requirement though, as it would require more work from Nintendo.

AFAIK based on conversations with people who do know, this was never actually true, it was one of those kind of implied in the press release things.

My understanding is that the requirements from way at the top of Nintendo is that it be WIDE open to anyone.

AFAIK based on conversations with people who do know, this was never actually true, it was one of those kind of implied in the press release things.

My understanding is that the requirements from way at the top of Nintendo is that it be WIDE open to anyone.

Anyone as in who?

Back