Shane Bettenhausen (1up) rumours canned 360 project?*

Shane usually throws out lots of rumors, however I have trouble putting anything into rumors related to MS from him. He's pretty clearly a sony/nintendo fan as he never ever lists anything he's played on xbox, unlike the others at 1up.

While I enjoy all the Shane hate going on here, it needs to be pointed out that he is the first person that said anything good about Too Human.
Would it be possible the guy is just not into shooters?

While I enjoy all the Shane hate going on here, it needs to be pointed out that he is the first person that said anything good about Too Human.

Yes, he pretty much dislikes shooters (he hasn't touched any of the various great shooters for this year for example).

Wasn´t Blizzard rumored to be working on a nextgen MMORPG? Although knowing them, it´ll probably take many years to surface.. :smile:

I seem to recall they were actually looking for experienced console programmers a while ago but I really wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't for consoles since by the time this game comes out (~3-4 years from now) the console generation is essentially over allowing for like year and half of milking at most.

Yes, he pretty much dislikes shooters (he hasn't touched any of the various great shooters for this year for example).

It doesn't justify anyone to throw childish comments like "xbotz am cry".

As for Marvel MMO being cancelled, I don't think consoles in their current shape are suited for MMO games anyway. Consoles have 6 years life cycles at best and developing MMO takes 3+ years. That basically leaves us with 3 or less years to milk the userbase, and if you consider that developers can never be sure of what userbase will be after those 3 years like, it's really hard to make any bets IMO. Though I guess quick ports like FFXI make sense. WoW port on 360 or PS3 early in their lifecycles would make tons of money, too.

That's not entirely true. Plus it's also made worse by the fact that everyone else on the 1up show are very 360 minded, so if Shane didn't talk about PS3/Wii, then who would eh? :D

Well true but sometimes Shane talks about ps3 when there's actually not much to talk about. Like the way he hyped FLOW, calling all cars and other titles that ended up not being a big deal. ;)

I don't really like first person shooters much either. However there is a lot more available then that on 360. The only reason he like too human is because of the Nintendo connection SK once had. I can't remember the last time he said, I'm playing game X on the 360 and really like it. I can't recall him liking anything on the 360.

Haven't they already stated publicly that that project is not console related & that they have no intentions to begin console development for the forseeable future?

Blizzard for the time being is one of the few developers that can probably ignore consoles. That's not to say they wouldn't do well if they went there, really the biggest change for them would be control schemes as none of their games have been graphically demanding.

(wouldn't suprise me considering they're pretty comfortable milking the 3+ million monthly subscriptions for WoW..)

I think Blizzard actually has more than that in China alone.

Well true but sometimes Shane talks about ps3 when there's actually not much to talk about. Like the way he hyped FLOW, calling all cars and other titles that ended up not being a big deal. ;)

But they were a big deal. If you didn't pick up on that, then doesn't that say something? Maybe they weren't the best games ever to all people, but they did something new in various ways, even if in the case of calling all cars that was perhaps mostly just the fact that a big director like Jaffe did a PSN title and it really just was a bit like b-ball with cars and cartoony graphics. Fl0w is still great today. :)

I'll say this ... Sony are now in a very good position when it comes to MMOs on consoles. If the concept turns out successful, then it will be hard for competition to catch up.

That's a big if. MMO's have a big level of risk involved and there doesn't really seem to be room for a lot of successful ones. The ratio of failed MMO's to successful ones is pretty high on the PC platform let alone consoles that are much less suited.

I can't see how Sony have an advantage as far as first party MMOs. If you take a look at what they've done in the PC space, you'd soon realize Sony is known for destroying MMOs.

Yes, it's a big if. But they are also known for letting other publishers do their thing. So I suppose much depends on whether or not, say, NCSoft succeeds on the PS3.

MMO's are a money-sink, with most having small and unprofitable user bases. Everyone wants to be the next WoW, but none have made even a slight dent. Hell, WoW has twice as many active subscribers as both the 360 and the PS3's (non-combined) total user base IIRC.

Keep in mind the 360 already has two MMO's - FFXI and PSU. Both didn't really set the world on fire. IMO MMO's on 360 is a flawed concept in general because most hardcore gamers already pay for online - both to their ISP and to Live. They don't want to pay another fee to something else.

What are the ones Sony have lined up? There's the spy one... anything else?

I'm not thinking so much of just SOE ... I'm thinking of this (just the first link I found):

http://www.gamegrep.com/news/5196-tabula_rasas_richard_garriot_explains_the_ncsoftsony_deal/

In contrast to development partner Cryptic Studios--which is currently working on a Marvel superheroes MMOG for the Xbox 360 and Windows Vista--NCsoft was attracted to the PS3 due to Sony's ability to provide "the best Internet connectivity and greatest freedom of Web access and interaction available to the user." Garriott also mentioned that the focus of the partnership is for PS3 development "and perhaps the PSP." (SOE is currently working on a DC Comics-inspired MMOG for the PC and PS3.)

As for when NCsoft will debut the fruits of its labor on Sony's console, Garriott said it is aiming for the 2008 holiday season. Though no specific titles were mentioned, Garriott insinuated that the first project would be either a port or an extension to one of NCsoft's current properties. The publisher's portfolio includes Guild Wars, Lineage II, City of Heroes, and the forthcoming Tabula Rasa.

"We won't just be porting our games over to the PS3," explained Garriott. "We want to make new products using our current, popular Intellectual Properties (IPs) that will take advantage of the console, specifically in terms of user interface, connectivity, and play styles."

Back