Shane Bettenhausen (1up) rumours canned 360 project?*

The game is the Marvel MMO. This is lame

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164355

Phew, the one title I didn't really care about :p

Also, for the record this is nothing but speculation by 1UP, based on some fairly thin evidence.

We have nothing new to share about Marvel Universe Online," said a Microsoft spokesperson. Pressed further about whether the changes within Cryptic had affected the game, Microsoft was no more forthcoming. "Cryptic's recent sale of the City of Heroes IP to NCSoft has no bearing on the development of "Marvel Universe Online," continued the spokesperson.

Of course, that doesn't really answer the question of whether the game's canceled. An inquiry specifically passed to Cryptic about the game's status has so far been ignored.

Reading between the lines of interviews conducted with Cryptic following the City of Heroes news are telling. Despite Marvel Universe Online being the only title Cryptic has publicly revealed to be in development, they've yet to make any mention of the project, instead focusing attention towards to-be-revealed future announcements. "The decision to sell the franchise allows us to focus resources on our soon to be announced first-party projects," said Cryptic President and co-founder Michael Lewis in the NCSoft sale's press release.

Shane Bettanhausen has his finger on the pulse of what the mass market gamer wants. He has uncanny instincts.

Shane is so freaking useless. At least now we have evidence that his rumour-starting gossip is useless, and he'll be largely ignored in future.

Seriously, he used the phrases "a lot of people were very exited for!" Seriously, who was holding their breath for this?

Shane is so freaking useless. At least now we have evidence that his rumour-starting gossip is useless, and he'll be largely ignored in future.

Seriously, he used the phrases "a lot of people were very exited for!" Seriously, who was holding their breath for this?

He's Quartermann. You all have never known that? iD, Bioware, and others creating PS3 exclusive games ring a bell? He's almost always off the mark.

Shane Bettanhausen has his finger on the pulse of what the mass market gamer wants. He has uncanny instincts.

Sarcasm? Hard to tell, especially so considering your past posting style.

Anyway, what a lame rumor. Seriously, I didn't even know this game could be considered major. City of Heroes has never really been that successful and some of the updates its gotten are so basic to the MMO formula that you have to consider a developers competence and why they weren't there from the start.

He's Quartermann. You all have never known that? iD, Bioware, and others creating PS3 exclusive games ring a bell? He's almost always off the mark.

Quartermann is just a bullshit spacefiller, though. He said this as an exclusive "wow"-type announcement on 1up Yours as something that would be announced this week, complete with hyperbole around how major the announcement was going to me. That's very, very different from a gossip column in a gaming rag.

Sure, he can try and joke it off as a "ha ha, you all fell for it", but it just means a lot of people are going to ignore him and think his opinion worthless moving forward. And who is going to want that kind of person writing for them, or representing them? What a way to kill your (gaming) journalistic career.

Quartermann is just a bullshit spacefiller, though. He said this as an exclusive "wow"-type announcement on 1up Yours as something that would be announced this week, complete with hyperbole around how major the announcement was going to me. That's very, very different from a gossip column in a gaming rag.

Sure, he can try and joke it off as a "ha ha, you all fell for it", but it just means a lot of people are going to ignore him and think his opinion worthless moving forward. And who is going to want that kind of person writing for them, or representing them? What a way to kill your (gaming) journalistic career.

Meh, we probably ran with the story more than he intended (though, he should have known).

I dont think this cancellation is meaningless (as say, cancelled Viva Pinata sequel would have been). I happen to think a popular MMORPG will be KILLER in popularity for whoever develops it first. WOW, without the need for troublesome PC hardware, would be free to addict a whole new class of people.

However, if there is a PC Marvell MMO and it sucks, then this might not be much loss.

everytime shane bettenhausen sells his speculations (at best) as true facts it makes me wanna puke. FACT. Biggest sdf nerd ever he is. oh and btw. couldn't care less about his take on various rumors.

MMOs have always largely been a PC territory due to the need of an HDD and hefty memory requirements. Even there i'd be shocked if yet another based on super heroes from comic books (which in itself is niche since no one under the age of 20 problably reads them anymore) could sell. It was the smart call if you ask me, but i'd also would have to ask why someone even thought it was a good idea to begin with? Far from a devistating loss.

Too Human is too far in its devlopment to of been cancelled, and it didnt make sense that they would after having signed a long term contract for future titles.

Shane usually throws out lots of rumors, however I have trouble putting anything into rumors related to MS from him. He's pretty clearly a sony/nintendo fan as he never ever lists anything he's played on xbox, unlike the others at 1up.

Shane usually throws out lots of rumors, however I have trouble putting anything into rumors related to MS from him. He's pretty clearly a sony/nintendo fan as he never ever lists anything he's played on xbox, unlike the others at 1up.

That's not entirely true. Plus it's also made worse by the fact that everyone else on the 1up show are very 360 minded, so if Shane didn't talk about PS3/Wii, then who would eh? :D

Back