[PS3] Singstar

The engine for all is the same. All new features are updated to the same version into all disc-based versions through online updates.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/singstarvol2/news.html?sid=6191287

As well as a new song list, SingStar: Vol. 2 packs two notable new features onto the Blu-ray disc. First up is the ability to harmonise--with two people singing different lines of a song at the same time. There are three songs that support this new Harmony mode, with "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang, and "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas and The Papas being two highlights alongside the rather strange inclusion of "We all Stand Together" by Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus. That said, we really like Harmony mode as it feels like a fresh new way to play the game--it's just a shame you don't get a harmony score based on your ability to sing with your partner. We're also glad to hear that owners of the original PS3 SingStar will be able to activate harmonies as part of a new download to be made available, with compatible songs to be announced at a later date.

The other new feature is Remote Play, allowing you to access the game from your PSP as long as the disc is in the PS3's drive. You can do this from within your own home network or wherever you have access to a Wi-Fi internet connection, and while contrary to its namesake you can't actually play the game, Remote Play does allow you to download new songs and visit the My SingStar Online portal straight from the portable. As our code was running on a debug unit, we were unable to connect to the online SingStore, but we're nonetheless excited about being able to buy new songs whilst at the office, and have them ready and waiting on our PS3 when we get home. You can't, however, use the service to buy songs mid-party, as the remote access is locked down while the game is actually in use. We contacted Sony to see whether the Vol. 2 tracks will make it onto the SingStore to buy--Sony's response is that, "Licensing music for digital distribution is a different process to that of the disc-based product...when Vol. 2 is released, a number of tracks from the disc-based product will also be available to buy in the SingStore."

Those features have been patched into all versions ... ;) It even says so partially in this announcement, which was from before it was even released.

I am pretty sure some of the ABBA songs have 2 different lines when my kid and wife played it. Not sure if the Vol 1 songs have any. It might just be a song selection issue. The feature should be there in the game already.

Really? :oops: I didn't notice a Harmony mode when I played it last.

It's only available on songs that support it. Good Vibrations for instance was one of the first downloadable songs that supported it. If you go to the SingStore, I think there's a category called 'Harmony' that's grouped all of them. I think you can also search for it using the expanded search options (that you'd also use to get the other language songs) but I'm not sure.

Saw this on GAF:

PR said:
It’s a special occasion at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe – SingStar® is celebrating its 1,000th downloadable track on SingStore™ for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™). Since its launch in December 2007, SingStar on PS3 won the hearts of SingStars as the ultimate party centerpiece for friends and family. SingStars have since downloaded 4 million extra tracks from SingStore and uploaded nearly 100,000 video performances to My SingStar Online. With more than 1,000 tracks now available in SingStore, it’s no surprise that more than 6,000 new SingStars per week are signing up.

SingStore is the place where SingStars go to download the tracks they want to sing – and, in the course of a year, the number of songs on offer has grown to an amazing 1,000 tracks with many, many more on the way. SongPacks – collections of five-song downloads – arrived with the first Ultimate Queen SongPack. Since then, SongPacks have sold 57,000 copies since launching in October 2008. We now have Britney and are soon to add Billy Joel and Madness amongst other key artists. SingStars across the PAL territories have now downloaded more than 4 million tracks from SingStore – that’s 60,000 tracks per week! The top SingStore download is Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart – with Europe’s Final Countdown and Pink’s Just Like A Pill following hard on its heels.

My SingStar Online is the hub of SingStars PS3 in-game community where SingStars go to show off their best performances and check out other people’s. Since its launch, nearly 400,000 SingStars have registered with nearly 100,000 video performances uploaded to My SingStar Online. A staggering 9.3 million My SingStar Online videos have been viewed so far!

“Since its launch, SingStar for PS3 has gone from strength to strength,” says Dave Raynard, Executive Producer of SingStar, Sony Computer Entertainment, London Studio. “My personal highlight has to be winning three Guinness World Records: Most Successful Singing Game, First Customisable Track in a Singing Game and First Music Game to Let Players Record Their Performances and Share Them
Online. And we keep getting better - if you haven’t joined the party yet, now is the time!”

With a number of strong SongPacks on SingStore and a growing My SingStar Online in-game community: SingStar is the worlds ultimate singing game and a genuine phenomenon since its launch on PlayStation®2 in 2004. More than 16 million SingStar units have now been sold, making it Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s leading social games brand, one of the world’s most famous games – and an essential component of any house party.

Really, 1000 songs already on the EU store? Wow, I hadn't noticed! Impressive stuff.

Checking out the singstore online browser at www.singstargame.com I can see that a lot of songs that went under my radar is through some impressive other language support - 105 Spanish songs, 75 German songs, 78 French songs, etc. English is 578 right now, which still isn't bad mind you.

I have no idea why they don't "expose/export" the SingStar user videos in Playstation Home. It'd help promote the game and entertain folks. They own those content and it's targeted to the same crowd. They should have the rights to use the videos (and music) for marketing purposes.

Apparently, the user community already has something similar in the works:
http://www.singstarchallenge.com/

SingStarChallenge connects you to other SingStar players and spices up your SingStar experience! You can:

* view leaderboards by song, difficulty level, country and more
* compare your scores with those of your PlayStation Network friends
* challenge other players to duel against you on your favourite songs
* get notified when your friends beat your scores
* collect and compare trophies to track your singing achievements
* take part in regular singing contests
* participate in the Singing, Humming and Rapping leagues
* track your SingStar song collection
* chat on the SingstarChallenge forums
* ...plus loads of statistics and more

The site is beta-testing a SingStar Online Integrated Services: http://www.singstarchallenge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=215

Viewing videos on your profile:

http://www.singstarchallenge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=17&stc=1&d=1237467035

You can edit your videos. At the moment this consists of optionally adding them to one or more global playlists which are shared with other SSOI users. Some playlists (eg. contests) can only have one entry per user, others can have as many as you like (personal playlists will be added later):

http://www.singstarchallenge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18&stc=1&d=1237467035

The Global Video Playlists page shows all the public playlists:

http://www.singstarchallenge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=19&stc=1&d=1237467035

Finally, clicking on a playlist shows all the videos in the playlist. Videos can be viewed by clicking on them and you can click the discussion link to be taken to a forum thread related to the playlist (good for contests):

http://www.singstarchallenge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20&stc=1&d=1237467035

There is a more complete feature list in GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15163382&postcount=2264
... but I can't find the official source.

They've just launched My SingStar Online Integrated Service (SSOI). Features are:

* Instant notification by dashboard or email when the SingStore is updated - no more checking your PS3!
* View and download My SingStar Online videos from other SingstarChallenge members who have activated SSOI on their accounts
* Browse the SingStore from SingstarChallenge including video previews
* Access SingStar Scene community features such as Hot Picks of the Week
* Save and archive an unlimited amount of your own My SingStar Online videos
* Trophy support for your activity on My SingStar Online
* Automatic notification when your friends upload new videos
* Automatic notification when users leave comments on your My SingStar Online profile
* Quick import of your PlayStation(R)Network friends list to your SingstarChallenge friends list

Why would japanese people buy Singstar when they just can go out to a Karaoke box with way better selection?

Joysound Karaoke Wii sold over 180k in JP.

I think Singstar would do very well in JP and SMEJ owns a lot of pop JP songs, it would too much sense to release it there....this, along with Buzz games, is another case of Sony creating a great product and not using it to its full potential.

Saw this on GAF:

Really, 1000 songs already on the EU store? Wow, I hadn't noticed! Impressive stuff.

Checking out the singstore online browser at www.singstargame.com I can see that a lot of songs that went under my radar is through some impressive other language support - 105 Spanish songs, 75 German songs, 78 French songs, etc. English is 578 right now, which still isn't bad mind you.

Not bad, but not great either.

I have no idea why they don't "expose/export" the SingStar user videos in Playstation Home. It'd help promote the game and entertain folks. They own those content and it's targeted to the same crowd. They should have the rights to use the videos (and music) for marketing purposes.

They should do a Singstar Home Space and upload the top 2 or 3 best or most viewed videos for the week.

They should do a Singstar Home Space and upload the top 2 or 3 best or most viewed videos for the week.

Yes.

I can understand it *may* be somewhat effective (and more economical) by distributing these user videos over the Internet -- like Youtube and the http://www.singstarchallenge.com site above. At some point, they have to test the conversion rate over Playstation Home. If it's significantly higher than Internet marketing, it may be more worthwhile (depends on the cost).

I was reading a store on PS3 fanboy on some extras they were going to offer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/singstar-extras-to-offer-new-game-modes

Sony plans to launch a new section of the SingStore called "SingStar Extras" soon and use it to distribute paid-for or free gameplay updates for its monstrously popular music game series.

I then got curious about their SingStore screenshot. It looks nothing like what mine looked like when I last logged in. I'm sure I didn't have Christina Aguilera, 18 ColdPlay songs, nor Abba songs.

580_singstar_store_2.jpg

The update that brings Trophies is live now!
Voice control apparently tomorrow (22nd April)

Hope the voice control works also in the store.

I believe it was for 3 different languages.

EDIT: It's 5 different languages (English, French, Italian, German and Spanish).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back