[PS3] Singstar

Just curious, did SCEE use popular local songs, push media ads over TV, and also sponsor SingStar events in hip locations when it was first introduced ? Or was it a low key introduction too ?

btw, the friend I loaned my SingStar to just sent me an XMB message, "Karaoke game, cool !" :LOL:

Just curious, did SCEE use popular local songs, push media ads over TV, and also sponsor SingStar events in hip locations when it was first introduced ? Or was it a low key introduction too ?
Yes, they did a good job providing editions for the biggest european countries.
Yes, they did a good job on TV-Ads - in fact I almost never seen PS2-Games advertised in TV, I can only remember Singstar, Eyetoy Buzz and Ratched&Clank ads.
Hip Locations - dunno, I typically avoid them ;) But I remember there being a few contests in big shopping malls.

A quick look on YouTube shows some TV spots. Edit : Actually it doesn't! No real adverts at all. I don't watch enough TV to know what's being advertised or not.

I think they are waiting once the Ps3 price is lower to start advertising for the mass market
At the current price it would make sense to only advertise for the hardcore gamer...

Any word on wireless mics for singstar??

err.. I should add I was talking about the PS2-Singstar, not sure if that was clear in my post (and patsu prolly asked about Singstar PS3). I seen/heard nada about Singstar PS3, but then I dint turned on TV for a couple months.

Interesting feature.

News: Control SingStar From Your PSP

Yesterday's 'version 2' update for SingStar seems to have brought more than just Harmony Mode. Indeed, you can now make use of SingStar Volume 2's best new feature, PSP connectivity, without buying Volume 2. Install the update patch, switch on Remote Play and if the SingStar disk is in the PS3 you can browse not only your media (videos, audio etc) stored on the PS3 harddrive but also access the SingStore and start your downloads going before you even get home from work.

qyc0hh.jpg

Wicked new feature, and one we fully expect to see on more and more PS3 games in the future, Sony.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/control_singstar_from_your_psp_news_1075_tsa.aspx

Ha ha ! I passed my copy to another PS3 friend yesterday dinner. Given recent development, I probably won't have time to look at it until mid/late June :(

Finally gave SingStar a try. My wife monopolized the entire game, so I only get to watch most of the time. Safe to say.... it's been a hit here so far.

I like how everything is easily accessible and intuitive. IMHO, the success of SingStar rests on the song library and bulk song deals. If they are too slow to add new songs or get too greedy, the title will have limited penetration.

Nonetheless, I have a new problem on hand. My wife is now bugging me to bring home the PS3.

Speaking of library, what's on the horizon for the PS3 song offerings?

For myself, the selection just proved too weak ultimately; I returned the PS3 version without ever opening and have since gone with several of the PS2 discs. I'm happy enough to sell those off and re-purchase everything through the SingStore when the songs become available... but it is a little discouraging that the store doesn't match and/or exceed the PS2's library at the outset. I would imagine those as being relatively easy licenses to secure.

Got this for a friend's birthday. The first package actually didn't have the USB adaptor in so neeed a replacement. Note to everyone - sealed plastic packaging should be designed to show all the contents, so you can see at a glance if it contains everything it should!

It was interesting how, with some pushing, resistant peeps saying 'no no no I can't sing' had a go and enjoyed it immensely. But the song selection is way too limited. I can't play the game as I know none of the words to any of the songs. It would be better for newbies to have some simple songs, rather than pop hits where the singer is singing with embellishments and syncopation. It's actually trying to match an exact performance of a song rather than the song itself, which is far trickier.

I'm also surprised like Carl that the PS2 library isn't on there. Apparently it's licensing issues, but surely that can't be hard to negotiate.

Is there any word out on the wireless mics?
When are they coming? Or did I miss the release?
Haven't seen a PS3 Singstar in stores here for a while.

Arwin - can you please try out PS2 Singstar disc-swapping? I'm hearing conflicting reports on whether it works or not, and the PS2 song library is looking inviting. Would be great to be able to use the PS2 songs.
Also is there a way to turn off the mics or at least right, right down in game? I found last night that it's nigh on impossible to hear the tune when you've got two voices over the top, with players pitching themselves by each other rather than the track! The minimum mic volume was still clearly audible.

What do you mean with PS2 SingStar disc-swapping? Using PS2 SingSTar discs in the PS3 game?

I only know there's an option to blend out the original lead-singer or not, in addition to the main volume that you seem to have tried already. I've never had this problem myself to be honest, but I"ve never played this game while drunk either ;). Maybe if you blend out the lead singer the volume goes down a little more than usual.

What options are you using right now?

What do you mean with PS2 SingStar disc-swapping? Using PS2 SingSTar discs in the PS3 game?
Yes.

I only know there's an option to blend out the original lead-singer or not, in addition to the main volume that you seem to have tried already. What options are you using right now?
Didn't know you could remove the lead vocals, but that's actually the opposite of what I'm wanting! I want to just hear the song vocals with the singers' voices pretty much muted so the reference point is obvious. I find it impossible to pick up the actual tune of the song I don't know (and i really don't know any songs at all!) that I'm supposed to be singing to with another voice over the top, even with minimum mic volume. The pitch visuals aren't any use for that. The starting position of the first note per line isn't related to note pitch at all, and a song can go up in pitch from one line to the next even when note bars are lower. The only way to really sing the songs is to know the songs which requires learning them, with the pitch markers helping with 'fine' tuning, and you can't really learn the songs if you can't hear them!

Does the system mic volume setting affect the SingStar mics? The actual mic range seems overly loud to me. Zero volume is clearly audible. Two steps up and you're drowning out the leads. Full mic volume would totally drown out the song.

Yes.

Didn't know you could remove the lead vocals, but that's actually the opposite of what I'm wanting! I want to just hear the song vocals with the singers' voices pretty much muted so the reference point is obvious. I find it impossible to pick up the actual tune of the song I don't know (and i really don't know any songs at all!) that I'm supposed to be singing to with another voice over the top, even with minimum mic volume. The pitch visuals aren't any use for that. The starting position of the first note per line isn't related to note pitch at all, and a song can go up in pitch from one line to the next even when note bars are lower. The only way to really sing the songs is to know the songs which requires learning them, with the pitch markers helping with 'fine' tuning, and you can't really learn the songs if you can't hear them!

Does the system mic volume setting affect the SingStar mics? The actual mic range seems overly loud to me. Zero volume is clearly audible. Two steps up and you're drowning out the leads. Full mic volume would totally drown out the song.

Do you maybe use a surround system? Voice as opposed to the rest of the song typically goes on the center speaker. Maybe the volume for the center speaker is turned way up or way down? Alternatively, maybe some setting is wrong for surround (maybe surround should be off in your case, depending on what plays back the sound in your case).

I'll try to hunt down a PS2 disc and see what I can do.

Hey, did we gain any insights into PS3 game in-game PS2 disc swapping?
Oh, yes, it doesn't work. Friend bought two PS2 Singstar titles (original one and 1980's IIRC) and neither worked through diskswapping :( It was no loss to them though as they still have the PS2. But going forwards, there are still Singstar albums coming out for PS2, including a highly anticipated Abba one. Sony need to ensure these titles are PS3able, either by licensing them for all titles, or by supporting diskswap on PS3. Otherwise the old system proves the superior song experience and makes a mokery of The Future!

Back