PS3 firmwares 2.0 and 2.10

Is there anyway to patch a PS3 with something like a mem stick or something?

Meaning download the patch to your pc, then transfer it'?

Yes, I believe so.

Im thinking the updates can be accessed off of either a flash drive or burned disk. Though I am not completely sure.

-By patch Im assuming we are talking firmware updates.?.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/12/firmware-update-v217/

Apparently some improvements for online titles, and support for HD installation of PS2 titles, which basically means support for FFXI, right?

I'm pretty sure HDD installation has been around for a good while now. There's been a patch called PS2 System somethingortheother in the Store under Add-Ons that mentions about PS2 games that require the HDD for almost a year I think?

any improvements on video file support?
It seems the same. I still get "the data is not supported" message on the video files that didn't work in the past.

The xbox 360 is much better on that matter. But there I gave the problem that it doesn't play well (crappy MS DLNA implementation) with Mediatomb.

So, I was trying to help out my buddy update his firmware. He has no internet access to his PS3. I can't find the software download so I can install from my USB stick.

Anyone have a link for the file download?

It seems the same. I still get "the data is not supported" message on the video files that didn't work in the past.

The xbox 360 is much better on that matter. But there I gave the problem that it doesn't play well (crappy MS DLNA implementation) with Mediatomb.
i'm not complaining about the PS3's video playback abilities... i actually think its quite good. i've maybe had 1-3 videos that didn't play on the PS3. theres also a great tool that converts MKV videos to MPG/Vob without touching the video or audio (unless its DTS), all within a few minutes. so i have to highly disagree that the 360 is "much better".

I have allot of xvid/divx movies (especially older ones) that the 360 plays fine but where the PS3 has problems with. It's even so that on the 360 I never witnessed problems with playing any divx movie.

Off course the movie playback capabilities of the PS3 isn't a disaster of any kind. But with regards of compatibility I give the extra points to the 360.

Personally I prefer the PS3 (because of the excellent DLNA support so it play nicely with my server downstairs) and when the movie doesn't work I switch to the 360 :cool:

I know ! To tell you the truth, I have missed it myself a couple of times too. That freaking button should be red instead of gray.

I have allot of xvid/divx movies (especially older ones) that the 360 plays fine but where the PS3 has problems with. It's even so that on the 360 I never witnessed problems with playing any divx movie.

Off course the movie playback capabilities of the PS3 isn't a disaster of any kind. But with regards of compatibility I give the extra points to the 360.

Personally I prefer the PS3 (because of the excellent DLNA support so it play nicely with my server downstairs) and when the movie doesn't work I switch to the 360 :cool:
well then you could say it has better Xvid/divx playing capabilities, not general video playback. PS3 can play vob, mpeg, mp4, vc-1, divx/xvid... pretty much everything. yeah its a little picky with xvid/divx atm, but i think it will get better.
overall, the PS3 is an excellent media player.

well then you could say it has better Xvid/divx playing capabilities, not general video playback. PS3 can play vob, mpeg, mp4, vc-1, divx/xvid... pretty much everything. yeah its a little picky with xvid/divx atm, but i think it will get better.
overall, the PS3 is an excellent media player.

Can't the 360 play all of the above also? I think his point was in reality, it's less picky which means it is a bit more useful.

I have both the 360 and PS3, and would prefer to use the PS3 for my streaming (I do a lot), since it's quieter...but I run into way too many problems.

Yeah, atom-based media is tough to handle because there are unanticipated ambiguity in the specs (e.g., I have encountered cases where the media has duplicated entries which do not violate the specs per se, but certainly unexpected to some container parser(s); and then there are optional sub-entries indicated by special flags but not everyone set that flag correctly, and then there are extensions which some may not support, etc).

In any case, everyone expects all the files to play regardless, even if some elements do not seem right.

Seasoned importers like QuickTime and WMP already hit the wall and evolved over time. It will take some time for Sony to refine their parser. But their attempt is not too bad really (e.g., They need to loosen some pre-flight checks and perhaps tighten the bound validations in later stages).

theres also a great tool that converts MKV videos to MPG/Vob without touching the video or audio (unless its DTS), all within a few minutes.

Which tool is this? I was under the impression that mkv's with multi channel audio are not supported on ps3, instead they play back as 2 channel. Likewise that mkv's with odd resolutions will not play at all. That was some time ago though, does this tool fix all that?

Which tool is this? I was under the impression that mkv's with multi channel audio are not supported on ps3, instead they play back as 2 channel. Likewise that mkv's with odd resolutions will not play at all. That was some time ago though, does this tool fix all that?
mkv2vob and/or gotsent (both do the same thing). if the raw video is mpeg4 avc h264, it will just change the container from mkv to vob or mpg. in this container, you can have ac3 6ch. if the mkv file has DTS audio, it will convert it to ac3 6ch 640kbps. mkv2vob has gone through a lot of updates, so now it only takes a few minutes to convert a full length movie.
Can't the 360 play all of the above also? I think his point was in reality, it's less picky which means it is a bit more useful.

I have both the 360 and PS3, and would prefer to use the PS3 for my streaming (I do a lot), since it's quieter...but I run into way too many problems.
the ps3 will only play 6ch audio in an mpg or vob container, and afaik, the 360 only plays them in wmv (vc-1). but afaik, there isn't a tool that converts mkv's to a playable format so you can retain the 6ch audio, whereas the ps3 has mkv2vob or gotsent. as of now, i would give the edge to the 360 for vc-1 wmv (the ps3 has trouble with some multichannel wmv's) and a slight edge for divx/xvid. so overall, i would say they are both quite good. i never said the PS3 was better, i just didn't agree that the 360 is "much better". but personally, having a lot of mkv h264 avc videos, i prefer the ps3.

Also converted with ps3video9 from mkv to mp4 5.1 sound can be kept in the transcoded file. PS3 plays back such transcoded fine with 5.1 audio. One just needs to set the setting to preserve original audio as default behaviour is to re-encode from 5.1 to 2 channel sound.

Back