PS3 firmwares 2.0 and 2.10

PS3 doesn't support mkv and for mkv files tversity for example actually transcodes the mkv to mpeg2 on the fly. Transcoding is the reason why only 1.5 fast forward works. And at that point quality is lost and loads of cpu power is used. I prefer to use ps3video9 to remux mkv to .mp4 because of better quality and no need for transcoding.

Remuxing in itself doesn't take much power to do quickly; it'd be nice if there were some sort of middle man that could take a streamed mkv and serve it on the fly as mp4 to the PS3 (if the format itself is capable, anyway). Same thing for profile modification on avc streams and subtitle rendering.

Does F@H hack not working with 2.10 fw ?.. I've downloaded GT5P Demo to PC and now can't install it to PS3 ...

And one more problem , I have a cheap Jazz DE-006 decoder which connected to PS3 by optical cable ... I can get sound from games but can not with .MP4 movie trailers ... Any thoughts ?..

So hopefully we have another firmware update coming soon. After having my PS3 for about a month now, there are some features that are missing that leave me scratching my head.

- Universal friends access. All games, and at all levels.
- Why can't I play all my songs on random? Having to create a playlist to do that is a little annoying.
- FLAC support.
- Lossless importing of stuff to the internal HDD
- Music support at all levels. ie. being able to have my music playing while accessing PStore. When entering games, etc...

Those are my major concerns. These deficiencies cripple its functionality to me.

I dont think we will ever get a universal friendslist across all games. Because games need to support the friendslist and most dont. I think we will get something similar with home. I would not want a universal friendslist. I have lots of friends on Resistance but most of them I never play against on other games. If im limited to the 50 friends in the XMB them I would fill it with just Resistance friends. So for every new friend on a new game I would have to delete another friend from the list. I would like all online games to have their own friendslist.

So hopefully we have another firmware update coming soon. After having my PS3 for about a month now, there are some features that are missing that leave me scratching my head.

- Why can't I play all my songs on random? Having to create a playlist to do that is a little annoying.
- FLAC support.
- Music support at all levels. ie. being able to have my music playing while accessing PStore. When entering games, etc...

Those are my major concerns. These deficiencies cripple its functionality to me.

If small features like this cripple functionality, then you're never going to be satisfied. Most of them will probably be addressed in the future, but I think you are exagerating the impact of them not being available right now.

I dont think we will ever get a universal friendslist across all games. Because games need to support the friendslist and most dont. I think we will get something similar with home. I would not want a universal friendslist. I have lots of friends on Resistance but most of them I never play against on other games. If im limited to the 50 friends in the XMB them I would fill it with just Resistance friends. So for every new friend on a new game I would have to delete another friend from the list. I would like all online games to have their own friendslist.

Yes, I think the friends list should be 2 level as well. IMHO, it is more important to get some sort of group/clan management functions going. Then we can add/delete people from different group/clans easily instead of forcing them all to be in 1 universal group.

I agree, but the basic functionality should be there. Actually I think it's already there, because games like Tekken DR Online, Eye of Judgment, and Burnout Paradise for instance already use it. I doubt it will work with older games unless these are patched to do so. But that's ok, the turnover on games is pretty quick anyway. ;)

It takes a while before we see these features appear in all games, but they will get there. Folding and Bowling have sound support, and I'm sure things will move on. Sony should have gotten these things in order sooner, but they're clearly making it happen, and it's not (never, really) to late. (And they'll no doubt have learnt their lesson for next time. ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think the friends list should be 2 level as well. IMHO, it is more important to get some sort of group/clan management functions going. Then we can add/delete people from different group/clans easily instead of forcing them all to be in 1 universal group.

Absolutely. Clan management should be surfaced in the XMB.

- FLAC support.

To play all your songs at random just switch the music grouping to all (using the square button).

Absolutely. Clan management should be surfaced in the XMB.

Absolutely. The way most games handle this is extremely poor. It would be nice if more games supported this and work the same way for most games. But even if they ad it games still need to be made to work with it. And just like messaging from the lobby it could end up being a horribly overlooked feature. Right now only Resistance added it and they already allowed messaging within the games friendslist. Most games dont even support that.

Its been a few months since the last small update. I hope we get new one soon because my webbrowser is causing my PS3 to crash. The 2.00 update fixed this problem but the 2.10 update made it even worse.

Its been a few months since the last small update. I hope we get new one soon because my webbrowser is causing my PS3 to crash. The 2.00 update fixed this problem but the 2.10 update made it even worse.

What sites do you have problems with? I generally have very few problems, but some sites can really make a mess of things.

This site moslty. :cry: I visit plenty of other sites regularly but it does not happen a much. It happens when the page is loading and the loading symbol does not disappear. I can no longer cancel the loading and if I try to exit the browser the screen freezes.

The F@H stat page always crashes my PS3. So do some of the Mega****** sites that are around. Java or Flash, it doesn't seem to like it anymore. I used my PS3 and PSP as my only web access for a full month, and had no problems. As soon as 2.10 came out, the browser is almost unusable for me. Maybe it's the sites I go to, but they never gave problems before 2.10. The last fw update broke the browser severly for me. PEACE.

I have found that it happens less often if I wait for the page to load completely before moving down. But it still crashed the first time I tryed to make this post. :devilish:

You know, now that you mention it, It will hang for me on the Folding stats pages as well. Folding is also wonky for me to. I have been folding about 4-8 hours a day for the past month, and I only have 9 work units complete. I could of swore I saw it was around 75% completion at 9, then I came back late last night and it was on 25% but still on 9 units? Hmmm

Back