No more NPD numbers (group hug coming up!)

If it has indeed happened at Sony's request, then it was a good move from them. It must be pretty demoralizing to try to do positive PR about a product when everyone can see how your actual monthly sales are suffering.
I think that if NPD would have released disappointing november sales for the PS3 then a lot of people would decide to delay their purchase from the holiday season to next spring or even later. Even if only hardcore games and such come to these forums, pretty much all media sites do have headlines about the sales data so many potential customers get informed about it.

November sales wouldn't show up until Dec 13. I doubt that NPD numbers for November released that late would affect sales to the point of causing poor holiday sales.

Indeed... if VGChartz is "sociopathic", what is the general nature of trolling in general? I would have expected a bit more professionalism from NPD towards an amateur sites like that.

Actually I have to agree with Mr Corbo. I once chose a Saturn over a PS1, only to find the thing was practically obsolete and i never bought any games for it apart from the first 2 because...well...there weren't really any. Sales numbers are important for determining the health of a system. Nobody wants to invest in a device for doing something only to find it isn't supported anymore. All the factors you mention are valid too, but I probably wouldn't buy a PS3/Wii/360 if it was underperforming and I expected major support for it to cease in the near future, even if the rest of the criteria were pretty good

The Saturn was a pretty unique case in recent gaming history. I don't see any of the current console becoming obsolete and I doubt most people do either.
If sales mattered in a rational manner,everybody in this board would be shifting allegiance to the Wii from PS3. I don't see that happening.

I investigate a car purchase way more than I ever would a console purchase. Looking at car purchases is a whole different thing. Expectations and features all widely vary more in automobiles than they do in what are basically a similar CE devices.

I thoroughly investigated my purchase,I just didn't look at at Mustang sales numbers.

Well actually, I dont follow cars much, but I do happen to know, the redesigned Mustangs have been of the few bright stars for Ford, selling very well, even basically prompting GM to bring back the Camaro soon. And again, I know that just through general osmosis, not following cars..so, you're kinda wrong, arguably.

I'm not wrong in that gamers have an obsession about monthly sales numbers,more so than other purchases.
There is a big difference between having a vague knowledge of whether something is "doing well" or not , and waiting for sales figures and then spending day's fighting over them when they finally arrive month after month,year after year......

I thoroughly investigated my purchase,I just didn't look at at Mustang sales numbers.

because the sales numbers of a vehicle aren't really relevant to the purchase... the sales numbers of a console, are relevant. They are indicative of impending support.

The Saturn was a pretty unique case in recent gaming history. I don't see any of the current console becoming obsolete and I doubt most people do either.
If sales mattered in a rational manner,everybody in this board would be shifting allegiance to the Wii from PS3. I don't see that happening.

No, neither do I, I was simply giving you filling you in a little on why I, personally, am interested in the sales numbers. For sure, it's nice to see the platform i own doing well - better sales = more games usually - but for the most part it's just something I've done for some time now because experience has taught me if you don't educate yourself, you stand much more chance of wasting your money

I think it's also important to note that gaming's not just a "hobby" to people (like us!) who post on message boards and the like. Hell, I probably spend more time reading about games than playing them for a variety of (completely logical) reasons.

So there's some merit to discussion when you have actual statistical data measuring the industry, at least in the US.

We were always going to continue getting monthly software top 10. Only the hardware would have changed.

Well it was actually going to be reduced to the Top 5 plus the 10 titles GAF chooses for their software guesstimate competition.

The crystal ball is out again: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16207

Pachter has predicted 450,000 Wiis sold to simExchange's 467,000, ahead of their Xbox 360 predictions of 325,000 and 412,000.

Both see PS3 in last place with 125,000 and 136,000 units sold respectively, despite the 80GB model's recent price drop to $499. However, Divnich notes that overall global lifetime sales are still being predicted through the simExchange service as reaching 52 million units.

Big difference in 360 and total sales predictions by the way...

Back