nvidia "D8E" High End solution, what can we expect in 2008?

Question posed in thread title has been answered. We can expect to be disappointed! :LOL:

http://www.computerbase.de/news/har...8/februar/benchmarks_bilder_geforce_9800_gx2/

The update on that article suggests that the 9800 GX2 figures are not from the real deal, but from the earlier "simulated" results of two underclocked 8800 GT's in SLI to match the rumor mill clocks.
As we know now, the 9800 GX2 has the full compliment of 128 scalar processors activated per GPU, not the 112 of the 8800 GT.

This means that in fact they haven't yet tested the Geforce 9800 GX2.

Got to hand it to the Chinese for jumping the NDA... reading now...

EDIT: Just confirms what we already knew. Completely useless refresh and we're still stuck with 8800 GTX levels of performance 1.5 years after it's release :(

A refresh with one goal in mind. Increase profit margins. I decided to hit the mid range this time around, I'm ok with running Crysis in 1280x720 with 4x FSAA on High, seeing as all the other games are maxed out.

Very disapointing. Loses out to HD 3870X2 in most games :???:

vista drivers aren't doing so hot for it yet, check out the xp performance, oh and actually it performs like SLi'ed Ultras with a newer driver then the one that was tested.

8xQ is a bit silly, the 256bit Bus of the 9800GTX wouldn't stand a chance. 6 more FPS at 1280x1024 is impressive (i guess). The 9600GT in SLI makes me wonder what a 128 SP, 32 ROP, 512Bit bus nVidia GPU would be able to achieve...

I'm curious how much of that 6 fps is down to the actual GPU architecture being tweaked, rather than the ~19% CPU clockspeed difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
vista drivers aren't doing so hot for it yet, check out the xp performance, oh and actually it performs like SLi'ed Ultras with a newer driver then the one that was tested.

The drivers they used arent even for the 9800Gx2. Nvidia never flagged or tested those drivers for 9800GX2 operation. Most configurations have trouble even enabling multi GPU properly with them.` "Doh" right?

Back