OpenGL 3 specification delayed

>>People still use openGL?
well currently they outnumber the d3d10 users by at least (conservative estimate) 10:1 :) lowblow
all together now, d3d10 is DOA :)
d3d11 OTOH i do believe will have a high uptake

well currently they outnumber the d3d10 users by at least (conservative estimate) 10:1 :) lowblow

I'm not sure it's fair to compare the adoption of an entire graphics API (openGL) to the adoption of a singular and brand new version of another graphics API (DirectX 10) and declare a winner.

However, I'd be relatively confident in saying that OpenGL installed base still exceeds that of DirectX, only because nearly every platform that supports DX also support OpenGL, but not the other way around.

That is all, feel free to continue :D

I'm a windows guy myself, does the Mesa software renderer see much use these days?

Mesa is the open source OpenGL implementation. It's not purely a software implementation, although it can be compiled to so. Depending on the hardware, and availability of drivers, it supports hardware acceleration (eg intel chipsets, older radeon GPUs (<= 9000), etc). For Nvidia and ATI GPUs, though most people use the proprietery OpenGL drivers/implementation.

Mesa is the open source OpenGL implementation. It's not purely a software implementation, although it can be compiled to so. Depending on the hardware, and availability of drivers, it supports hardware acceleration (eg intel chipsets, older radeon GPUs (<= 9000), etc). For Nvidia and ATI GPUs, though most people use the proprietery OpenGL drivers/implementation.

But if it is predominantly the hardware acceleration that is used it quickly becomes something of a non-issue.

That might be a barrier to entry for a new player, but who doesn't already have that license?
I should imagine many of those, say, in the OpenGL ES world might not, and what is in OpenGL often moves into 'ES. Several have their own compression schemes. There's an old (For example, it doesn't mention Ericsson's ETC2) summary here. .

But if it is predominantly the hardware acceleration that is used it quickly becomes something of a non-issue.

Not really. To support s3tc in a OGL-conformant way, you also need to support online compression of textures. (As far as I know, this is different for OGL ES texture compression with the ETC format. Online texture compression need not be supported, only decompression.)
Currently it works like this: hw drivers based on mesa which support s3tc do not announce support for it (that is, EXT_texture_compression_s3tc), unless you either install a not really official external library (which contains the software compression/decompression code), OR you force the driver to just say it's supported - this will make precompressed textures work (*) (like in most newer games, ut2k4 for instance), but of course will fail badly if an app requests online compression (such as quake3).

(*) Unless you'd hit some fallback case, dropping you to software rasterization

It depends on what you're using to compare. Comparing all of OpenGL to just Direct3D10 is a little unfair, it'd be more fair to compare the number of OpenGL3 users to Direct3D10 users.

Of which Direct3D10 has an infinity to one ratio advantage.

Besides, in the world of gaming, DirectX appears to be a far more common choice for developers over OpenGL. There are few big-budget games nowadays that use OpenGL exclusively.

Besides, in the world of gaming, DirectX appears to be a far more common choice for developers over OpenGL. There are few big-budget games nowadays that use OpenGL exclusively.

If your target is the PC / Xbox (360?) , then DX is probably your API of choice. The PS3 uses OpenGL-ES and most other consoles (PS2/Wii/etc) have their own API (some of them OpenGL-like, I think), so I'm not sure if DX would the far more common choice.

If your target is the PC / Xbox (360?) , then DX is probably your API of choice. The PS3 uses OpenGL-ES and most other consoles (PS2/Wii/etc) have their own API (some of them OpenGL-like, I think), so I'm not sure if DX would the far more common choice.

The PS3 supports OpenGL-ES but it’s hardly used today. Most developers use the native API. As it use Cg as shader language it is easier to port from Direct3D than from OpenGL.

Back