A look at the 40GB PS3 Motherboard

Is this mobo white-only? That would explain in part why white isn't widely available, because of limited production numbers, but why create a new mobo just for one colour SKU? If it's more cost effective, you'd want it throughout the whole range.
They have been manufacturing millions of 40GB units for the demand in the holiday season and beyond, probably since this summer, it's not strange that a model change occurred in the middle of it.

Is it localised to the white PS3 though? Is the new mobo just coinciding with the white PS3, localised to just the white model, or already out in the wild in some 40 GB models but no-one's opened them up to see?

Won't there be a serial number identification for black 40GB with the smaller mobo to tell us?

Questions though:

It's smaller because they yanked the PS2 hardware. It's neat that either Cell or RSX is 65 nm though. I'm sure that is what allows them to simplify the power delivery to those chips.

Haven't they used Software BC emulation ever since PAL 60 GB and NTSC 80 GB units were out? Why the need to remove the entire BC system altogether? Is there even a hardware chip (or sector) that handles the software emulation programming?

Also, when is 65NM NVIDIA RSX coming?

Is it localised to the white PS3 though? Is the new mobo just coinciding with the white PS3, localised to just the white model, or already out in the wild in some 40 GB models but no-one's opened them up to see?

Won't there be a serial number identification for black 40GB with the smaller mobo to tell us?
The black one (CECHH00) has the same motherboard as the white one, so it's not only for it but for the Japanese versions.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2007/1112/ps3_2.htm

The graphics chip was still there.

Yup, GS was still there on those units I mentioned but what I'm trying to..........

Wait a sec, so Sony removed the GS chip in these 40 GB units.....but didn't add any software program to substitute for it???

I see I see.

Does anyone have an 80gb vs 40gb MB comparison? Just kind of interested in seeing whether there is a physical difference (because of differences like BC).

Look up the EU 60GB system. There was a mobo image of that a while back, and the 80GB is the same system (well, as much as we know. No reason for a revision). There were pics on this board I think, but I couldn't find the relevant thread with a quick search.

Could anybody find a higher resolution photo of the motherboard, or especially the cooler, of the CECHGxx model?

Hey, I've taken the plunge to get a japanese ceramic white PS3.

But anyway, I know that in previous PS3 models, the PSU has been universal, so you could plug it into any voltage supply around the world with a standard PC power cable and it will work fine. But since the White 40gb PS3's have newer boards inside and talk of lower power consumption I'd rather double check this is still the case for this new model, so as to not plug it in and experience the glowing warmth of a thousand exploding suns!

I wonder if anyone knows whether the 80GB version is using 65nm cell. Any equivalent detective work done with 80GB PS3?

No, Vitaly was talking about the known 65nm mobo, but the same reasoning can be applied to the 80gb if you have a screenshot. Which is the same as the Euro 60GB model, which doesn't have the simplified voltage regulator, which tells us that it's using the 90nm Cell. That and the still larger power draw... ;)

Very interesting looking at changes made throughout the life cycle. I am still wondering if they will ever sell a "wholesale" version of a PS3 without a HDD so they can save costs, and those who want the HDD size of their own, can save costs as well!

Very interesting looking at changes made throughout the life cycle. I am still wondering if they will ever sell a "wholesale" version of a PS3 without a HDD so they can save costs, and those who want the HDD size of their own, can save costs as well!

Unless they put some good quantity of Flash storage inside the HDD stays: a re-writable high capacity storage is part of platform's specification and games take advantage of it.

Unless they put some good quantity of Flash storage inside the HDD stays: a re-writable high capacity storage is part of platform's specification and games take advantage of it.

Flash right now can't economically match the throughput of standard HDDs; I don't expect flash-based SKUs of PS3 and 360 before 2010.

Back