360 DVI problem

infinity4

Veteran
Hi, I am currently using my 360 elite displayed on a monitor via MS's HDMI cable then DVI male - HDMI female connector.

The problem I have been experiencing is that every time I play my 360 (playing interval lasts 2-3 hours) at times the monitor loses signal all of sudden for 2-3 seconds, then retaining the signal again. Very disturbing the gaming experience as I had to pause the game when it goes off, then wait for it to come back.

I tried unplugging d-sub cable (connected to my laptop) which I thought was interfering with 360, but didn't work. Also tried out replugging everything back, still no hope. :cry:

So, what is the problem? I am guessing that the HDMI cable that comes with 360 is at fault. I didn't want to spend on another cable without knowing the most probable truth, so thought I would ask here.

Right. I know some people who use HDMIs, they are telling me exact problem. Surprisingly, they used same cable on PS3 which didn't show any signal problem.

I assume some 360s have a HDMI output problem caused by its motherboard.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937898

Use a DVI port by using an HDMI to DVI adapter or cable
DVI is an early digital video input standard that was widely used in computer monitors and in some HDTVs before HDMI became the industry standard HDTV digital video connection. There are HDMI-to-DVI adapters that enable a monitor that has only a DVI port to receive video, but not audio, over an HDMI cable. However, this solution can be unreliable because the Xbox 360 console is designed to communicate with the HDTV by using the HDMI protocol. Using the DVI port of a monitor may work. However, this method is not supported.

WTF???

The whole thing is confusing. If you use HDMI-DVI cable the console recognises the display and shows you monitor resolutions instead of television resolutions. And the other question was that if picture was going off but sound was on, they asked you not to use audio dongle. What is the point of audio thing if it wasn't for separate sound?

The whole thing is confusing. If you use HDMI-DVI cable the console recognises the display and shows you monitor resolutions instead of television resolutions.

That may be because the TV assumes the DVI connection is to a computer and is sending the appropriate computer resolution support. That's how it is when I hook up my computer via DVI to my own LCD TV.

And the other question was that if picture was going off but sound was on, they asked you not to use audio dongle. What is the point of audio thing if it wasn't for separate sound?
DVI has no audio line, that's partly why HDMI was created, to integrate video and sound into a single connector. If you're using a DVI converter, you wouldn't get any sound. That's the purpose of the separate audio cables.

Also, the audio dongle is there to provide an optical output if you're connecting to a receiver that has no HDMI.

You can connect HDMI in a couple ways:

1) Xbox360 to a receiver with an HDMI input, and have an HDMI output (using another HDMI cable) to the TV.

2) Xbox360 to a TV with HDMI, and use the audio dongle with the optical output feeding into the audio receiver to get your surround sound.

All right, I just called Xbox service. I told them that there was something wrong with my 360's HDMI port, but they are giving me a new HDMI cable to try on.

Doubt that will make any difference. :cry:

The only thing I can think of that Microsoft is referring to is HDCP compliance in the DVI connection. Most older DVI ports don't support HDCP, so it wouldn't work. Any newer TV will, though. My PS3 can't tell the difference, I've had it running to a DVI port since day one. Oddly, it's the HDMI port on my TV that the PS3 has a hard time talking to. I haven't tried running the 360 to HDMI yet, since I spent all that money on a VGA cable before I got a HDMI-capable system (my second).

The only thing I can think of that Microsoft is referring to is HDCP compliance in the DVI connection. Most older DVI ports don't support HDCP, so it wouldn't work.

I have connected my 360 to my monitor without HDCP and it worked fine. I used a HDMI/DVI cable though, I'm willing to bet the problem is using the HDMI/DVI dongle.

With one of the HDMI cables I have the cable would slide out of the TV a bit, it would fall out just slide down some, and loose the signal. I switched to a cable that fit a little more snug and it has been working great every since then

HDCP should only be a problem for HD DVD, no?
And upscaling DVDs. For some reason, they think that 480p upscaled to 1080p is high-def, and they don't want anyone "ripping" the movies. Rediculous, of course.

It shouldn't have any effect on games, but since when does tech support at a major corporation have any idea what they're talking about? I did quite a bit of research on HDMI and DVI when I bought my television, and there's no difference whatsoever in terms of carrying the signal. DVI has all of the ports and pins to carry every scrap of video data from a HDMI connection. It's lacking audio, sure, but who runs audio straight into their TV anyway? (not counting receivers).

The only thing I can think of that Microsoft is referring to is HDCP compliance in the DVI connection. Most older DVI ports don't support HDCP, so it wouldn't work. Any newer TV will, though. My PS3 can't tell the difference, I've had it running to a DVI port since day one. Oddly, it's the HDMI port on my TV that the PS3 has a hard time talking to. I haven't tried running the 360 to HDMI yet, since I spent all that money on a VGA cable before I got a HDMI-capable system (my second).

My monitor has HDCP enabled through DVI.

If I try new TV, and try new cable that they will send me (directly through brand new HDMI port!), and it goes wrong, there is statistically low probability that it will be due to cables or displays. That time I will send my 360 for a repair.

I would miss my 360 but I have an important university interview in a month so this can be best time.

I just exchanged my console for a new elite (for free!). It has falcon motherboard (175W adaptor and different heatsink?) and a BenQ drive which does seem quieter to me. :smile:

But the problem came up like once in 9-10 hours of gameplay, and my new telly comes today so I can try that!

Also I am finding that hdmi ports are very important to be careful with. I don't seem to get the right clicking feeling when I put the cable into hdmi ports :???: something must be going wrong on me.

Now that I got my new TV, it seems my TV won't accept the HDMI signal from 360 for some weird reason. Component works, but it really sucks on this telly.

Back